How to build a quick disconect
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

How to build a quick disconect

Ok guys I am posting up my version on how to build a quick disconect using common supplies from home depot or lowes. so here we go;

I built these about 5 years ago and will be makeing another set soon for another project the supplies you will need are as follows:

1- roll teflon tape
2- Pvc Threaded Ball Valves ( I used 3/4" for these I think )
2- Pvc Threaded Nipples ( Found by the sprinklers)
2- Pvc Thread Inserts ( Again I believe these were 3/4" Also by sprinklers)
1- Pvc Threaded Union

The ball valves and the threaded union were the most expensive at around $4-6 each, everything else about 4 bucks. So total cost around 20 bucks.

Picture of supplies:

everything dry fit:

And the joy of threads! you can attach it directly to your Pumps!

I hope this helps for some of you. Yes it is a little cheaper then the Eheim quick Disconects but it is more versitle.

Curt

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

55 Gallon Tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193422

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice job, thanks for posting the DIY with pics.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
Bryanmc1988
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

take some picture of the disconnect parts
Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

The union (the bulging part between the ball valves) unscrews without having to turn either pipe. Comes apart quite easily. Goes back together easily, as long as there is no strain on the pipe forcing the union to come together at an awkward angle.
There may be some minor dripping. The pipe and union between the ball valves may still have some water when both ball valves are off. The picture shows the ball valves in the on position.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Have you had any problems with the unions sealing after several disconnects? That looks like the only possible problem with this. Very simple, easy, effective DIY setup. This could be added under a sink, in the water supply line, for a hose connection for water changes. It could be even smaller for that use.

One other possible problem: those PVC valves have become hard to fully close after a few years when I use them. I don't know why that is.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Curt_914
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hoppy I have found it is just sediment in the water that makes the valves hard to turn over time. I also have that problem with brass valves.

The main thing to watch out for is the o ring in the union valve which can be lost over time, main cause for leaking. But some food safe silicone lube usually does the trick of holding it in place. The one thing with this type of set up is yes it is much eaiser to deal with if everything is in a straight line for conect and disconect, and there is a small amount of leakage when disconected. But I get leakage with my eheim disconects as well.

You guys are welcome for the pics and this DIY. Will post another one I am working on in the future.

Curt

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

55 Gallon Tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=193422

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
Curt_914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Has anyone tried the quick disconnects in the garden hose area of the home depot/lowes stores?

for example:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/melnor-...l#.UJLFf8XoS9E
Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
Has anyone tried the quick disconnects in the garden hose area of the home depot/lowes stores?

for example:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/melnor-...l#.UJLFf8XoS9E
Yes, I have BUT you will still need ball valves because there are no integral shut off valves in the sections which just means the water continues to flow out of the male adapter when disconnected from the female half.

They are a small diameter so they will restrict water flow and any debris can get stuck in the female half of the Q.D. and won't shut the water off when disconnected.

The only place I use them is on the drain valves on my Eheim 2260/62 filters so I can drain the filter before removing it from inside the stand.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use them (unions) for my sumps, and for my pond. I do not take them apart very often, maybe once a year, if that. The only problem I have is if there is any strain on the pipes so they are not lined up well. Then it can be a bit of work getting the union back together.

Any disconnect will leak a bit, so this system is not better or worse in that way. Just have a towel handy, just like when you take apart any other plumbing fixture.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

You can buy zero leakage quick disconnect fittings, but they are expensive. Of course we don't need zero leakage disconnects for aquarium plumbing
Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You can buy zero leakage quick disconnect fittings, but they are expensive. Of course we don't need zero leakage disconnects for aquarium plumbing
Speak for yourself. The corporate server I have living below my 220g tank wouldn't fare well with a non-zero-leakage disconnect!
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Speak for yourself. The corporate server I have living below my 220g tank wouldn't fare well with a non-zero-leakage disconnect!

You keep electronics underneath 220 gallons of water? Corporate server no less? Just carpet and floor under my tank gives me pause sometimes.

As an IT guy, aquarium guy, and DIY home repair person (plumbing/electric/carpentry/etc) that sounds like compounding all your chances for problems. Heavy and wet, held together by silicon glue, circulating water through less than bullet-proof plumbing (unless you glued up your own sump plumbing, but then we wouldn't be talking about quick disconnects I think). I know I was surprised that canister filters (mine included) had pretty thin walled tubing with basically push in connectors.

No trying to give you crap, just scares me!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post

You keep electronics underneath 220 gallons of water? Corporate server no less? Just carpet and floor under my tank gives me pause sometimes.

As an IT guy, aquarium guy, and DIY home repair person (plumbing/electric/carpentry/etc) that sounds like compounding all your chances for problems. Heavy and wet, held together by silicon glue, circulating water through less than bullet-proof plumbing (unless you glued up your own sump plumbing, but then we wouldn't be talking about quick disconnects I think). I know I was surprised that canister filters (mine included) had pretty thin walled tubing with basically push in connectors.

No trying to give you crap, just scares me!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Okay, sorry, that was a (very poor) attempt at humor. I agree, keeping fragile stuff or electronics beneath a tank is a bad idea.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

In fishkeeping there are two groups of people. Those who have spilled large amounts of water and those who will spill large amounts of water at some future time when they least expect it.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote