My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 AM   #16
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Okay, thanks. I will contact Acro and see what he's done. The plastic container is a good idea for when we are re-homing it in a few years and need to take all the water out of the tank

The heat packs could work. I am going to talk to a friend of mine who has shipments of fish come into town and see what he does to ensure live fish arrivals. I'll get back to you on that tomorrow.

Thanks again
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 05:00 AM   #17
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

This tank reminds me of mine with your random selection of fish ha ha

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #18
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
This tank reminds me of mine with your random selection of fish ha ha
What fish do you have? I know my tank is all over the place isn't it! River fish with fish that thrive in an Amazon Biotope; but it was by accident. The Betta was free off craigslist. The large Angelfish was a "rescue" sort-to-speak and then the little Angelfish was a "gift" for the big one Ha Ha because I thought s/he was lonely. The Denison Barbs were planned and were in the tank before the Angels moved in. I wanted to have the Denisons with Kuhli loaches, rummynose and Odessa Barbs, but after I got the Angels, I have changed my mind about having a high-speed tank because I realize I enjoy the relaxed, easy going ways of the Betta and Angels. So! There you have it HaHaHaHa!

Last edited by Amandas tank; 10-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 11-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #19
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Same fish with the exception of the loaches you have. They are from when i 1st started the hobby and went for "they look neat" attitude.

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #20
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjohn21 View Post
Same fish with the exception of the loaches you have. They are from when i 1st started the hobby and went for "they look neat" attitude.
Ah okay. When we first got our tank a year ago, it was pre-stocked with single tetra specimens, common pleco, mollies, goldfish and platys. Then my husband added what he "liked" from the LFS. A zebra talipia, 2 Firemouth Ciclids and 2 Kuhli Loaches. I started researching and did a major fish swap! After that, my husband hates fish. He thinks it's stupid that I care if the fish are comatible and said qoute: "Survival of the fittest". Yeah, sure that's how it is in nature. The fish we had in our tank would never see each other in nature!
Anyway...What fish do you have now?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #21
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Ah okay. When we first got our tank a year ago, it was pre-stocked with single tetra specimens, common pleco, mollies, goldfish and platys. Then my husband added what he "liked" from the LFS. A zebra talipia, 2 Firemouth Ciclids and 2 Kuhli Loaches. I started researching and did a major fish swap! After that, my husband hates fish. He thinks it's stupid that I care if the fish are comatible and said qoute: "Survival of the fittest". Yeah, sure that's how it is in nature. The fish we had in our tank would never see each other in nature!
Anyway...What fish do you have now?
I had the " survival of the fittest attitude when my gf brought home my first tank,didn't cycle it and dumped a huge variety of poorly chosen "pretty fish" in it. I believe my exact words were: "take it back when I'm done watching the fish kill eachother". My outlook has changed quite a bit since then. She now threaten to make my (9) tanks "disappear" while I'm at work. She hates them. She has also gotten much better with her impulse buying and random pet adopting problem since then.

Just introduce your husband to the equipment side of things. Men like building stuff and making things more powerful. Have him look into fx5's and and building co2 regulators. He will probably enjoy it more if he feels he can contribute. I wish binford made aquarium equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #22
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

I wish binford made aquarium equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I think I'm gonna make this my sig

Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Seth. I contacted Acro like you recommended. Nice guy! I am not worried about catching a BN anymore thanks to the two of you. Acro removes an object the BN is inside of, covering one end so it doesn't get out. I have a pre-meditated plan I will use a cylinder of some sort with a cap on one side for feeding so the BN is comfortable with it, then if the BN needs caught, it'll already go inside with ease when s/he goes inside cover one end and lift! Walla! BN caught with no torn fins. Sounds easy enough. Thank you for removing that fear! I can stop worrying and have BN!!! Yeah!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 PM   #24
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update: I did a 24% PWC last night. Since adding the Eo-Complete Planted Substrate, (and removing the natural gravel) my pH rose 1 degree. It has held steady since even through the water change. This tells me regardless of how spotlessly clean I try to keep my tank, I had some build-up in the gravel. I am meticulous about gravel cleaning, but obviously not getting it all! Curious to see if the pH raises another degree when the other half is done. It is reading at 6.6 now.

It was torture last night refraining from changing out more substrate! I am anxious to get the substrate finished. But, have another week ahead of me before it's done. Time sure creeps by when your waiting LOL!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #25
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since things are at a stand still for the next 3 days, thought I'd share a collage displaying some of the elements that will be creating my scape.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pictures10.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	56293
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #26
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I put together in order, old pics to show the changes the tank has undergone. I couldn't find the pics from the original tank when we first brought it home after finding it on craigslist. The first 9 pictures show the 30 gallon tank and the last 5 are of the "100 gallon" I bought off craigslist. (I found out shortly after bringing it home is was infact not 100 gallons! Grrrrrrr.)

Name:	2012-07-22 Our Trip 2012.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	56294
When we first got the tank, I immediately started adding plants but most of them died. I didn't give up, but got fake plants to add "planted appeal" while I slowly added more live plants. I hated the plastic plants and was thrilled when I finally found some plants that could survive my beginner ways. As soon as I felt I had enough plants to keep my fish secure feeling, I removed all the plastic buggers!
Hope you enjoyed looking at my ever-evolving tank collage!

Below are a few pics of the process from 30 gallon to 100 gallon. It was stressful and I moved as fast as possible to ensure all my fish would be okay. It worked out beautifully with no problems at all!

Name:	2012-07-22 Our Trip 20121.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	56295

Last edited by Amandas tank; 11-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: More info and pics
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #27
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Wow looks like you've been busy over the past year!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethjohnson30 View Post
I had the " survival of the fittest attitude when my gf brought home my first tank,didn't cycle it and dumped a huge variety of poorly chosen "pretty fish" in it. I believe my exact words were: "take it back when I'm done watching the fish kill eachother". My outlook has changed quite a bit since then. She now threaten to make my (9) tanks "disappear" while I'm at work. She hates them. She has also gotten much better with her impulse buying and random pet adopting problem since then.

Just introduce your husband to the equipment side of things. Men like building stuff and making things more powerful. Have him look into fx5's and and building co2 regulators. He will probably enjoy it more if he feels he can contribute. I wish binford made aquarium equipment

Good idea. I tried to get him involved using the "honey I need your help" route. Did not work! Last week I asked him to put a shelf under the tank for the canister filter. He did it and seemed to be happy until the filter didn't fit!!! He measured, but didn't realize the top has to come off while the filter without moving the filter. Ugh. So, he is even more uninterested.

I will encourage him to check out fx5's and building Co2 regulators. He might really like that. I hope I can get him involved. It would be fun to work together on the tank.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I wish binford made aquarium equipment

I think I'm gonna make this my sig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
LOL! Sounds like a great sig!!!! Do it
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #30
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Wow looks like you've been busy over the past year!

Yeah Ha Ha Ha! I love being in my tank. I absolutely love scaping and wish I had more tanks to scape. Once this one is complete witht he dw, rocks and plants, I plan to leave it alone except for maintenance.

Tags
aquascape, driftwood, echo complete, rescape, substrate