My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy) - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #241
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
...The color is a protective measure against high lighting. ...
In general, I agree with the above statement. The peculiar thing about Aromatica is that the color is on the underside of the leaves, not on top. It might be one confused plant: using sunblock cream under the skin, not on. It is possible to get the color on the top part of the leaf, but it does require an insane amount of light.

Here is a fun read, with many oppinions, as usual

One way to enjoy Aromatica in a lower-light tank is to keep it cut short, say ~16" - you will get greenish/yellow 'stars" that look awesome to me, without having to climb on top of your tank. With a bit more light, the top color slowly changes to camel brown.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plan...php?item_id=69
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #242
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

So, I stopped by the LFS to see if they got more kuhli loaches in, and saw two beautiful Altum Angelfish. I thought about it for a day, and decided to give it a shot. They have bent fins, but are still beautiful. No need to quarentine them...I really don't want to get into the reasons why, but will say I am very careful with my fish and use the QT when it is neccessary. This time it wasn't.
When they first went in it was looking good. but, as expected, as time passed the harmoney was quicly ending.

Anyway...I decided that one of them is going back...maybe both. I gave it a shot, in the off chance it would work, but my current fish are very important to me and their happiness will always come first. One of the two does not like anyone in the tank...even the kuhli loaches. S/he grabbed a kuhli today and shook the crap out of it then let it go. Maybe s/he thought it was food, but I think it was more territory than anything because this particular Angel has claimed a spot and won't let the others near it. The other new Angel is fine with the rest of the group. But the aggressor corals her into his territory (I do believe the aggressor is a male and the other a female) Gwen the betta rules the roost still though. And, she protects her Koi and Little blue from the aggressor. Darndest thing I ever saw.

Anyway...chances are high that when one is removed another will turn into the agressor. I'm going return the "male" tomorrow and give it 3-5 days and see what happens.

Enough jabbering. Here's some pictures:

The aggressor is cleaning the wood

The one on the right being held in this area

The one that's leaving tomorrow...

The one I'm going to try a few more days...

Had to share this one...look at that cute face

Another of the one I'm going to try

And look at what happened to my plants from the aggresser chasing everybody! There all floating again!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #243
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
That is the look of two very appreciative fish Your tank is looking so good!

I like it too when fish can vanish and reappear inside the vegetation/decor. It makes everything seem so much more interesting and full of life.
They are so cute. It really does make things interesting, for them too I am sure.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #244
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
In general, I agree with the above statement. The peculiar thing about Aromatica is that the color is on the underside of the leaves, not on top. It might be one confused plant: using sunblock cream under the skin, not on. It is possible to get the color on the top part of the leaf, but it does require an insane amount of light.

Here is a fun read, with many oppinions, as usual

One way to enjoy Aromatica in a lower-light tank is to keep it cut short, say ~16" - you will get greenish/yellow 'stars" that look awesome to me, without having to climb on top of your tank. With a bit more light, the top color slowly changes to camel brown.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/plan...php?item_id=69
Thank you for the 16" tip OVT. And thanks for sharing that great picture too. I love this plant. It is my favorite so far. I want to have a ton of it because the Kuhli Loaches race through it constantly and then they swim mid stem and rest inside the leaves. Very cool indeed.

I enjoy those kind of reads!!! Thank you
Old 12-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #245
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That was a good read OVT! Interesting how it does from tank to tank. I need to remember it is quite common for it to melt if it is shaded. Good to know with gthe floating plants I have.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #246
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

Beautiful Angels -- even if one doesn't behave like an angel

☯ Stop by and see Tropical Haven, too.
~ Updated March 2011 ~

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆
Fizgig777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #247
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you I was told that an odd number would be better. Three might not be the best odd number though leaving one as "the odd man out"...5 probably would be safer for the lesser of the group. Got some thinking to do...

Angels....hahahahahahaha! Must have been the fancy fins that got them that name
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #248
jshaffer740
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great! I love the use of the stones and rock work. Really awesome.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #249
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you Jason Like you, I like all the styles in the Auscaping world. Having only one tank, I am limited so I combined many elements...it's tough to get it just right...and honestly, it looks nothing like I intended, but I am happy with the results regardless.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #250
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

From what I've read Altums are not the same as regulular angels, they need water parameters similar to a discus
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #251
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah..I've read the same. But these guys were bred here locally...they are related to my Little Blue Angel. They have been grown in the same parameters as my current tank Thank you though Seth!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #252
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199034
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #253
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is a beautiful Philippine Blue Angel OVT. The reason I said my Little Blue Angel is related to the two Altums is because that is what the breeder claims. Seems that they have a same parent...obviously not both parents though So, they have been inbreeding Altums and Philippine Blues.

Anyway...things are looking much better. The aggressor is now back at the LFS taking on another Koi Angel a bit bigger than himself...through the bag he's floating in!!! Wow what a scrapper LOL! The remaining three angels are getting along perfectly. Swimming together in a group and picking the substrate together. It's promising...so far. Anything could happen.

Thanks to having 4 Angels in my tank at once, I was able to get a good distinction between the size and shape of the breeding tubes. The angel I have been assuming is a male has a very pointy and much thinner tube than the other two larger angels in the tank...which have thick and rounded tubes. The Little Blue is too small to see the tube.

So now, fingers are crossed that Little Blue will end up being a female too. Three females will be much better especially since I'm mixing strains and don't want to have a breeding pair in my community tank.

The status of the Diamond Tetras is questionable. Seems they have not been able to get any. sigh. In time.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #254
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

ya know, i was going to ask how big the angels were. that kinda sounded a bit like cichlid mating behavior. i love the look and elegance of angels, but hate their temperament. besides, i don't keep fish that might eat my shrimpies
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #255
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh for sure sexual maturity had something to do with it. The cleaning of the driftwood and the claim on the territory, I definetely believe the intent was to commence breeding...only thing is the female was more interested in Little Blue. She was following Little Blue and then when the "male" interested in her would chase Little Blue and coral her back to his turf to start cleaning the wood again. Everytime he was busy cleaning, she'd sneak away to be with Blue LOL!

Tags
aquascape, driftwood, echo complete, rescape, substrate