My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy) - Page 16
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #226
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Your calico (?) Angel is beautiful! Nice tanks =)

☯ Stop by and see Tropical Haven, too.
~ Updated March 2011 ~

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆
Fizgig777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #227
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you. I appreciate your compliment. I love the sound of Calico Angel! But it's Koi Angel. S/he is 8 years old.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #228
oliver77
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've read through the pages, and I must say your tank grows a lot from the beginning.
Getting better every pages. I like how u crazy-slope the substrate at the back. Not so much of a fan of those water sprites at the surface though. But what a jungle! I'm sure your fishes are happy in there. Do u dose CO2 & ferts?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #229
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you very much! I love the slope...it's awesome watching the Kuhli Loaches zip up and down it! Thank you for your honesty The little Blue Angel and the Betta love the floating water sprite. The Angel lays flat and shimmies through it. It's so cool to watch. The Betta rests in it, and I use it to coral her food so she doesn't have to compete with the Angels and the filter flow. I do not inject Co2 and only use Leaf Zone once a week. These plants are all so new (except the Anubias, Crypt and Lillies) that I'm waiting to see how they will do under the lighting conditions I have at the moment. I hope I don't loose the reds and purples. Only time will tell.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #230
Chaoslord
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Your have nice looking angles.I was debating angles in my column but decided I had to much flow for them and went with bottom middle top specific species.
8 years for an angle! What is their life expectancy?
Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #231
Fizgig777
Algae Grower

I thought the term was Koi, but I could get past the fact that Koi are a diff't type of fish altogether... Still doesn't seem to compute in my head that "koi" could be a descriptor for a calico colored fish =) Can you imagine calling a calico cat a koi? Kinda funny

☯ Stop by and see Tropical Haven, too.
~ Updated March 2011 ~

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆
Fizgig777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #232
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Wow that blue angel is stunning. I had no idea they could be that blue. It looks like it will get bigger yet too. Nice work on the tank-you've got a nice jungle going! Of all the plants you have which one is your favorite so far?
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #233
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you I never expected Little-Blue to get so blue. When I got him/her, s/he was silver with the teeniest hint of blue shimmer here and there. S/he has a lot of growing to do. Still just a little 'ole juvenile. The older it gets the bluer it gets. And it also has some pinkish/purple under it's belley. So beautiful.

Limnophilia aromatica is my favorite with Ludwidgia repens x acurata andLimnophila aquatica following close behind. I am really liking the Staurogyne repens too. Once everything adjusts and melting ceases filling in with new growth, I may change my mind
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #234
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Thank you I never expected Little-Blue to get so blue. When I got him/her, s/he was silver with the teeniest hint of blue shimmer here and there. S/he has a lot of growing to do. Still just a little 'ole juvenile. The older it gets the bluer it gets. And it also has some pinkish/purple under it's belley. So beautiful.

Limnophilia aromatica is my favorite with Ludwidgia repens x acurata andLimnophila aquatica following close behind. I am really liking the Staurogyne repens too. Once everything adjusts and melting ceases filling in with new growth, I may change my mind
I definitely like my limnophilas. Too bad your l. aromatica is losing its reddish color. It's so pretty when it adjusts and gets color. Is that myriophyllum mattogrossense growing for you? I really like it once it gets healthy.
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #235
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not yet...it has melted away quite a bit and there is only about 1.5" left of the stem. It looks like it is holding now though so hopefully it will begin to come back.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #236
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been playing around with some L. aromatica that I got from the LFS. It is a very cool plant, I have it in 2 different tanks, and it definitely has different growth forms. High light+ no CO2 and it has awesome short leaves, high light + CO2, and the leaves are about twice as long and more than twice as wide!

Getting the red color can be tricky, I'm not even sure what does it but it seems more light and more ferts help.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #237
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Aromatica is an awesome plant. The color is a protective measure against high lighting. The higher your lighting is, the more color you'll get out of it. It also like nitrogen and iron to bring out the color even more.
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #238
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoslord View Post
Your have nice looking angles.I was debating angles in my column but decided I had to much flow for them and went with bottom middle top specific species.
8 years for an angle! What is their life expectancy?
Hey, I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday. Weird. But I found it!
Anyway...Thank you 15 years from what I've found online. It's amazing this one has lived as long as she has concidering where she spent those years before coming to me. I really enjoy them. They are beautiful and just interact with me much like my betta does. Great fish.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #239
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizgig777 View Post
I thought the term was Koi, but I could get past the fact that Koi are a diff't type of fish altogether... Still doesn't seem to compute in my head that "koi" could be a descriptor for a calico colored fish =) Can you imagine calling a calico cat a koi? Kinda funny
Yeah...I agree with you. Actually, it took me a very long time to get used to the sound of it. I liked Scalare better but Koi was accurate for the pattern. Koi could be a cute call name for a calico cat! I will have to remember that if I ever have a calico kitty in my life.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #240
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
Got some more pics...still not the best quality, but until I get a camera (or learn to take better pics with my phone) this is all I have to offer

That is the look of two very appreciative fish Your tank is looking so good!

I like it too when fish can vanish and reappear inside the vegetation/decor. It makes everything seem so much more interesting and full of life.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aquascape, driftwood, echo complete, rescape, substrate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.