My ever-evolving tank (picture heavy) - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 AM   #181
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

good eye. yup, those are white clouds i had saved from an older build. and there's a gourami of some sort in there. he was my son's and just got too big for his planted tank. (told you i had one or two around...lol) and a few bn plecos.
and you are right, the chemicals in lysol would surely have killed everything in the tank, if it had been sprayed directly into the tank. but then again, it would kill you if you inhaled them directly too, that's some deadly stuff in there....LOL

my bed bully is the same. she wanted a planted tank, bugged me for one for a while. she chose the fish, against my judgement. a school of angels (7), a school of neons (6) a small group of von rio tetras (6) and a guppy or two. well, after the angels grew, they were beating up everyone else in the tank and i was finally told to find them a new home. after singing "i told you so" around the house for about an hour, i agreed. now the tank has been relegated to me. i do all the scaping and all the maintenance. it's her tank, i just do all the work, and she gets all the credit.....LOL
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #182
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

IMHO, there is never enough plants.
If you do not agree, then I will take all your 'extras' with a smile - would hate to compete with you on SnS...

PS: you seem to change your avatars more ofthen then I change my socks. The question is: should I change my Avatar or my socks first?

PSS: let me try to call my wife a "bed bully"... ouchy ... let the fun begin

OVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #183
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
++++!1 on that one!!!

Quote:
The question is: should I change my Avatar or my socks first?

the avatar, always go for the avatar first!!LOL
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 AM   #184
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

HaHA! Sounds kinda similar to my story being that the fish came to the house because someone else wanted them. See, I haven't divulged the full story behind my love for water keeping (I saw that and had to use it...pretty cool)

See, when I was a kid my Mom had a tank. She had a Bala Shark and Neon Tetras. (strange combo I know) She had the Shark for 7 years before the house-sitter killed it by feeding it some wafers that were a product that was intended to be dissolved before adding to the tank. I don't know what she said it was for anymore.

Anyway...I never wanted fish ever! Watching my Mom suck on the end of a tube and getting fish crap water in her mouth before it would get the flow going during water changes grossed me out enough to never even look into fish keeping and the possibility of easier ways of doing things.

My 2nd child wanted fish for his birthday. I refused, but my Husband went with it anyway and I swore I would not have any part in it. I made myself quite clear. But, I couldn't keep myself from looking at the tank and I started noticing things were not looking right (it was just an assumption because I knew nothing about fish) I began researching on line, and one thing led to another and then I started doing water changes (wow! The tank actually needed more than just a top off every now and then? My husband said that's all that was needed...the tank at his work has had fish for 15+ years and they never do water changes, only top offs) I felt so bad for the poor fish once I started learning more. There was quite the mess of species in the tank. Very uncompatible species!

Anyway...my son lost interest in having his own tank, and so it became "mine". Then the inhabitants changed and so on. My husband lost what bit of interest he did have (my fault learning about compatiblity) Here I am. Addicted to my Aquarium and reading about everyone else's!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:05 AM   #185
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

well, we're glad to have you and your lovely tank but wait until you start getting into pressurized co2, THAT'S when you're gonna hate the hobby most, until you get the hang of it, then it's the best thing in the world again.....LOL
Old 11-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #186
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
If you do not agree, then I will take all your 'extras' with a smile - would hate to compete with you on SnS...

PS: you seem to change your avatars more ofthen then I change my socks. The question is: should I change my Avatar or my socks first?

Bed bully! HaHA! I am clutching to the edge every night hoping I won't be kicked off! Too funny It must be the "non-fish keepers" that are the bed bullies then.

What does SnS stand for? Thought I'd ask before I take a trip to the abbreviation guide.
My husband wasn't too happy about my pic being up. When he saw it the other day I was shocked by his reaction. So, the dog it is!

And oh crap...now I'm busted! LOL! I am still on TPT and not making dinner and taking plant pictures OVT!

Last edited by Amandas tank; 11-27-2012 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: ?
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #187
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

i have lots of pet names for her. my fav being Satan. she even gets a kick out of it because i have her set on my phone's speed dial as "666 send".

after 21 years of marriage, she's just given up on me....LOL
Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #188
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay...so I just spent quite a bit posting pics...almost finished, and my daughter comes over and POOF. Pictures wiped out.

Sorry OVT. I will have to get them up later. I need to get on the PWC

I will be back!!!!!!!!!!! wah ha ha ha!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #189
driftwoodhunter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

wow Amanda, we have so much in common, and we are at opposite ends of the country! lol
I had Dobes growing up (none now though), I got into tanks because my father had tons when I was a kid, and I'm 5' 4" - haha. I get the whole "balancing the bucket" thing.

I absolutely love what you said about the fish being able to hide when they want to - nothing bugs me more than tanks where the fish are forced to be front & center, with no recourse for when they are stressed. I'm learning more & more with each tank (thanks to all the great tanks I get to see here) about how to set up the hardscape and plants so the fish have quiet areas away from sight, yet not so hard to reach that I can't clean there or (Heaven forbid) net out dead fish. Hey, they get old too!
I also think that since your hubby brought in your first tank, he should relent on the 6' tank. With your skills you would create a dynamite tank.

Have those Diamond Tetras arrived yet???
The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...stand-pic.html
The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=199772
driftwoodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #190
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
i have lots of pet names for her. my fav being Satan. she even gets a kick out of it because i have her set on my phone's speed dial as "666 send".

after 21 years of marriage, she's just given up on me....LOL
21 years of marriage. That's beautiful Bill
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #191
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Talking

Okay...not done with the pwc, but wanted to get at least one or two up for you OVT!

not a plant...but a big ole fatty Kuhli. Notice the stems though!

FTS with 2 T8's and 2 T5's on

FTS with only the T8's on

my favorite stems are on the right! Love them and I think they are looking great! The purple tips are fading under my low-lights and lack of Co2, but I still like them!

My 2nd Favorite plant in the tank!!!

a shot showing the height of these babies. Love them! And so do the Kuhlis! Notice the one leaf left on the big Tiger Lotus you sent me OVT I hope it pulls through!

I love these stems too that I got from Auvet14, Awesomely beautiful plants! This is the first stem to pop up, but it's 500th stem plant that I've had to re-plant. The Kuhli Loaches and MT snails don't help much. Imagine if I had a pleco!!!!

Notice the rosette trying to become a floater

These are looking good for the most part I think. Still some melting but it has improved a lot since last week!

This big ole mess needs to be replanted after the mid water change. Darn wanna-be floaters!

My Angel fish is saying "Look, here's some more eye-sores! Put em in the ground!" LOL!

I had to share my two Angels. My Blue-dude isn't looking so blue tonight. Hope s/he's alright

Appears that one leaf is beginning to melt on the third Tiger Lotus you sent OVT. But overall, I think this one is going to make it!

I don't know what I'm going to do with this mess

Going to move this somewhere the Kuhli loaches can enjoy it

Gotta figure out a better spot for this Sword too

Behold! More rogue stems!

These Kuhlis are everywhere! I love it

My favorite stems again! A few need to be poked back in. The Kuhlis play and climb these plants a lot making them bounce up.

If there ever was a fish I'd wanna give a kiss to it'd be this one LOL! I love those pouty lips!!!

one more My fav fish with my fave plant!

It was murder planting behind the dang Manzanita! Hence why there is only one stem back there. The other 8 floated up and I put them elsewhere. Hoping this single stem will stay put and fill in the entire corner.

Gwen the Betta is sooooo vogue!

dundundundun...silhouette Angels

Okay! I got carried away! I gotta get back to that tank!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #192
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

My professional opinion: you need more plants.

My other professional opinion: the plants look much better in your tank then they would outside.

My other professional opinion: looking good.
OVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:38 AM   #193
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

What are you using to plant your stems? Long tweezers help a lot. Are the loaches kicking up the plants or is it just difficult for you to get them down into the substrate?
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 AM   #194
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
well, we're glad to have you and your lovely tank but wait until you start getting into pressurized co2, THAT'S when you're gonna hate the hobby most, until you get the hang of it, then it's the best thing in the world again.....LOL
Haha! So true! I went from no CO2 to DIY yeast and sugar, then basic paintball pressurized setup, now have a 5lb with atomized diffuser and I swear, sometimes I hate it (usually when I have problems) but when it gets fine tuned and CO2 levels consistent, it's like the greatest thing ever and I wonder what I ever did without it

Sent from my HTC One S
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #195
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
My professional opinion: you need more plants.

My other professional opinion: the plants look much better in your tank then they would outside.

My other professional opinion: looking good.
I do? Noooooo don't tell me that LOL! I know I do...just won't admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
What are you using to plant your stems? Long tweezers help a lot. Are the loaches kicking up the plants or is it just difficult for you to get them down into the substrate?
I tried the tweezers...failed big time! So, I use a finger to push it in and them another finger to bury it as I carefully remove the first finger. It works. Those silly hyper Kuhli Loach zoom through the plants making them pop back up. Especially at bed time! Little brats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
Haha! So true! I went from no CO2 to DIY yeast and sugar, then basic paintball pressurized setup, now have a 5lb with atomized diffuser and I swear, sometimes I hate it (usually when I have problems) but when it gets fine tuned and CO2 levels consistent, it's like the greatest thing ever and I wonder what I ever did without it

Sent from my HTC One S
No Co2 for me. It's hard enough foe me to get the lighting right already! Adding Co2 the equation = higher light = dosing more stuff = me having a melt down I love my low-techer

Tags
aquascape, driftwood, echo complete, rescape, substrate