Portland Area for Rock/Wood/Plant
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Oregon

Old 07-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
mr_convitbau
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Portland Area for Rock/Wood/Plant

I am living in Hillsboro and new to the area. Anyone knows some good stores for rocks, driftwood, and plants?

Also, I don't mind to do a little hiking to collect them if there is a good place. I was at the Wet Spot on Hancock this afternoon. They have some nice driftwood but too expensive. Their plants are not in good condition either.
mr_convitbau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Lol wet spots plants are the best you will find around here. They may not look great initially but a nice trim and grow out fixes that.

I myself am looking for rock I'm thinking about looking around at some of the landscape places but they sell bulk.

Maybe a few of us locals could go in on a yard or more depending on how many people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
flc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have to respectfully disagree on the quality of the plants from The Wet Spot. While I've had good results with their fish, I can't say the same for their plants. (Snails, BBA, Chlorosis, Damaged Roots, etc.)

However, I have had consistently good results with plants from World of Wet Pets on Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway. Their selection and prices on bare root plants are especially good. (I have a strong preference for stores that propagate their own stock over reselling wholesale stock imported from Thailand)

As for wood and other aquascaping items, prices are pretty much the same all over town- this time of year, Hughes Water Gardens might have some seasonal deals.

Last edited by flc; 09-11-2012 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Added URLs for merchant websites
flc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi All,

Five (5) days and counting until September 15th. The room is reserved, the time is set, and the preparations are complete....don't miss out on this awesome event!

Who: Christel Kasselmann (Internationally recognized expert on aquarium plants with 45 expeditions to the tropics)
What: Presentation - 'New and Rare Aquarium Plants'
Where: Seattle Pacific University Campus; Demaray Hall; Room 150 (509 West Bertona)
When: Saturday, September 15th; Social time @ 7:00pm; Meeting Starts @ 7:30pm
Admission: FREE!! (Can you believe it?)

The location has limited seating for 200; we are requesting non-GSAS members to please RSVP to Seattle.Aquarist at Gmail.com. If you have already e-mailed your request you should receive confirmation this weekend, if not please contact me.

Thanks and I hope to see you here!
-Roy

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

I'm not to picky about plants I buy most of mine from cayes and the know nothing about keeping plants. If you get them the day they come in its usually pretty good nice selection. They sell out quick and typically just have the basics unless I bring them something

Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

The world of wet pets I pretty much despise. Especially their customer service. They make you think you're dumb and that you don't belong there...

What kind of plants/rocks are you looking for?
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
flc
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
The world of wet pets I pretty much despise. Especially their customer service. They make you think you're dumb and that you don't belong there...
I keep reading that about them on online reviews- never been treated like an idiot there, always had good service. Go figure.

The Wet Spot on the other hand... Ugh! Just getting one simple item usually involves a half hour wait. They seem to have an unusually high turnover rate, especially at the checkout. If there's a place with service that keeps me away, it'd be TWS.

Back to the original poster's question- where do you go?

I keep reading the thread in the hopes there's some little shop like The Thriving Discus on Watson in Beaverton (now defunct) that never gets any publicity. I still have fish that I bought there nine years ago.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #8
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

I agree about the wet spot comment. I know most LFS's are slow but its just ridiculous. They also need to invest in some a/c.

They do have one of the best fish and shrimp selections I have ever seen.

Lots of plants, but usually come with algae.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post
I keep reading that about them on online reviews- never been treated like an idiot there, always had good service. Go figure.

The Wet Spot on the other hand... Ugh! Just getting one simple item usually involves a half hour wait. They seem to have an unusually high turnover rate, especially at the checkout. If there's a place with service that keeps me away, it'd be TWS.

I keep reading the thread in the hopes there's some little shop like The Thriving Discus on Watson in Beaverton (now defunct) that never gets any publicity. I still have fish that I bought there nine years ago.
That's why I go to cayes. The selection is always changing and the customer service is impeccable.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

wheres cayes at?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #11
Jayme
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post

I always see the same people at The Wet Spot. /shrug I've only had to wait a couple of times but I think it's more than worth it. I guess I don't mind waiting a little longer sometimes, more time to look at things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couesfanatic View Post
I agree about the wet spot comment. I know most LFS's are slow but its just ridiculous. They also need to invest in some a/c.

They do have one of the best fish and shrimp selections I have ever seen.

Lots of plants, but usually come with algae.
If they ran AC all the time the tanks would cool off and they would have to run more heaters. All of their tanks are filtered individually as far as I am aware so running heaters in each and every one of those tanks on top of running AC would be quite costly I'm sure.

I guess I'm just weird but I think the "jungle" feel in there adds to the fun of fish shopping.
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 AM   #12
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

ha ha, jungle feel. In the summer I swear its 110 in there. At least cool it down, I'm not sure how those fish survive that.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #13
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Oregon decorative rock has lots of rock and you can buy as little as you wish and the old guy usually sells it cheaper than the signs.

http://www.oregondecorativerock.com/?redirect=false

Buy plants from this forum if you want quality. WoWP and TWS are both decent stores, wet spot is way overpriced but better selection, world of wet pets are kinda rude but better prices, lower quality.
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
jarvitron
Algae Grower

Caye's Tropical is on SE Division and 132nd-ish. Haven't been in in quite a while, maybe I'll swing by and see what they have.
jarvitron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

cool, I'll have to go by there sometime.

BTW. I have some nano sized manzanita from Tom Barr that is extra if anyone needs some for cheap.

Last edited by Couesfanatic; 09-14-2012 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: because
Couesfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.