flood light LED's - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #46
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I I could probably fab something up out I aluminum then polish it but I'm not sure I need more light I kind of like it the way it is

The bottom tanks will be high light tanks I may use 20w led flood lights on those and just use screen to filter it. Or I may just blast them with light co2 and ferts. They will be fishless. So I can push the limits and see how fast I can get plants to grow
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #47
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Interesting how it doesn't appear as bright as CFL, but then it has more lux. I don't have a lux meter, but I do have a solar fan I made by cutting up a solar powered fan hat, and it will not turn on when you put it up to a CFL bulb, but if you put it under my LED floodlight, it goes, under my metal halide, it goes. Lets face it, fluorescent is great technology when you want to throw light all over to illuminate a room, but when you want a substitute for sunshine, not just from a grow some plants stand point, but from an aesthetics standpoint as well-it falls short.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #48
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

That's good to know I have a couple of those fans. I wanted to use them under my t5ho but even with all 4 on they don't work. I will have to try one out under my led
Old 12-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #49
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

On my riparium I have 2 t5ho bulbs in a Hagen glo fixture it is elevated about 20" off the surface I'm thinking I may try to replace it with a 20w LFL (led floodlight) any input?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 AM   #50
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

The light is much brighter than that in person
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #51
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

IME, skip the 10W and go 20. 40 is much better.

10w is low to medium light. i wouldnt have believed it unless i saw it just now. will have to post photos but my phone is now dead.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #52
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
IME, skip the 10W and go 20. 40 is much better.

10w is low to medium light. i wouldnt have believed it unless i saw it just now. will have to post photos but my phone is now dead.
I should go 20w for the high light 10g? Or are you talking about the riparium(wich I plan on going 20w)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #53
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

I tested a 10w led flood lamp on a 5.5g and it was somewhat disappointing. The lighting was nearly thoughs lightly less than what I am seeing using a 26w 6500k cfl using a clamp light fixture. Again, I'll have to post photos this morning.

Both pics also include the glass top for which the lamps were placed and floaters on the surface of the tank. I have a pair of 20w led floods which I planned on using on my 55 g but may go to the 40 w now ....
Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #54
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

How are you measuring the light?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #55
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
I tested a 10w led flood lamp on a 5.5g and it was somewhat disappointing. The lighting was nearly thoughs lightly less than what I am seeing using a 26w 6500k cfl using a clamp light fixture. Again, I'll have to post photos this morning.

Both pics also include the glass top for which the lamps were placed and floaters on the surface of the tank. I have a pair of 20w led floods which I planned on using on my 55 g but may go to the 40 w now ....
I bet if it has a lens to narrow the beam it would be more functional, of course that just adds to the cost.

that sounds disappointing.

Is the light spread too wide?
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #56
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'd go for the highest wattage your budget allows, although you would probably get the most watts per dollar through multiple or bulk 10W fixtures. You can always deploy some floaters or raise it up if it's too much light. Look forward to seeing the pics acitydweller.

I've got a 10W round model on the way (6500k)-looks pretty snazzy. One ebay listing said it is submersible-not that I'm going to do that. I'm going to put it over my emersed grow bed on my 20L.

This is the one, allegedly yields 900 lumens (I didn't go for the RGB with remote that costs 10 bucks more):
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #57
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

My square 10w puts out 1300 lumens but I have no idea how to convert that to par or how many lumens high,medium,and low light is for led
Old 12-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #58
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

For comparison
versus

The light intensity certainly is greater on the Flood but the difference becomes more evident once you raise the fixture 1 and 2 inches.

The CFL lamp actually improved the spread without loss to the intensity of the light downward whereas the LED flood dramatically became dimmer directly below the lamp itself when raised.

IN fairness, 30% of the water surface is covered by floaters so this isnt a true representation of the lamp but its what i could muster last night near midnight with my camera phone.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #59
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
For comparison
versus

The light intensity certainly is greater on the Flood but the difference becomes more evident once you raise the fixture 1 and 2 inches.

The CFL lamp actually improved the spread without loss to the intensity of the light downward whereas the LED flood dramatically became dimmer directly below the lamp itself when raised.

IN fairness, 30% of the water surface is covered by floaters so this isnt a true representation of the lamp but its what i could muster last night near midnight with my camera phone.
Your bulb seems a lot less bright than others, specifically HEINEKIN357's
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...7&postcount=22

can you (and HEINEKIN357) please post the ebay id from which you bought it? I'm really interested in these for my med-high light 40gB but I'm afraid to make a bad purchase
GOJIRADOR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #60
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

That looks pretty intense, it goes allt he way to the bottom.

It looks like the angle is the issue.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.