How much PAR to keep this plant the same?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-09-2015, 03:19 AM   #1
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

How much PAR to keep this plant the same?

Any idea how much PAR was required for the dark, fine-leafed older growth in this rotala Vietnam? The new growth is in an EI-dosed, CO2-injected tank with roughly 70 mmol @ the substrate, so I'm assuming lighting is the limiting factor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1420773546255.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	413306  

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2015, 03:47 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I have no supporting evidence as proof of it mind you but I have some stems of other types of Rotala and the leaves SEEM to come out thinner when it is deprived of nutrients.
The length seems to indicate that it had good light.
I've been experimenting(out of frustration) with a few stems of what was sold to me as Magenta. The first ones looked like Magenta more so than the second batch does.
The second batch has the diamond shaped leaves of the Macrandra on the very bottom of them but didn't have good anything in the shop where they were. So the upper leaves were just thin and generally bad. But when I put them in my tank things got even stranger. So some of the leaves are thin but longer and some are wide but short...go figure. But a few days back I followed the directions given on a site which I presumes raises them because they sell plants. They said too much Macros can/will hinder up-take of Micros. I reduced the Macros and now 5 days later the top two layers of leaves are more wide but just slightly longer length. Getting better all the time but not long enough growth to say for sure yet. Just 5 days under new ferts.
This leads me to believe that your plants came from somewhere that had good light but poor ferts.
But all guesswork aside, your best bet is to just sit it out till they have new stems come up from the base(don't trim those) and then cut and plant the new ones and remove the older ones. They will change a lot during this time till they get consistent growth.
So these stems will have various length,widths etc. The new ones they send up will be much more uniformed. Mine look just like that/w different size leaves as you go up them. The new ones will be grown in this environment so they will be much better.
They never will look exactly like the bottom unless you put them back where they came from. It's not just the light you have to duplicate all the environment of origin for that.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #3
Rainer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Thanks for the informative reply. If you're correct, that's pretty discouraging since I think the old growth is beautiful but don't have the time to experiment beyond EI, not to mention potential unintended effects on other plants in the tank.

Can anyone recommend something similar in appearance to the old growth that would look good in an EI tank?
Old 01-10-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
jeffkrol
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
Thanks for the informative reply. If you're correct, that's pretty discouraging since I think the old growth is beautiful but don't have the time to experiment beyond EI, not to mention potential unintended effects on other plants in the tank.

Can anyone recommend something similar in appearance to the old growth that would look good in an EI tank?
foxtail may work for you..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.