Rocks in SEPA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Rocks in SEPA

Hey

I was wondering if anyone knew a good spot to pick up some "wild" rocks that will buffer PH up in a tank. I know I can get them from a few stores but I'm broke, and the only place I know of is That Pet Place in lancaster (which is an hour away from me). I'd rather scavenge if possible.

Any ideas? I live in the north west suburbs of philly area. Think Phoenixville, king of prussia, pottstown, etc...

Thanks,
Leo

Old 10-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

you forgot to add $4-5 a lb to that above statement

Try your local gardening/landscaping store...the one near me sells me rocks that i pick out of a pile for 25 cents a lb.
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
le0p
Planted Member

My only question with that is, how do you tell the rock composition at the store? I'm looking for something like lime stone, coral rock, seiryu, type stuff. And don't they only sell pavers?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
ThinkTank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Get rock samples and put it in a bucket of water for a few days and then test the Ph again to see if there was a change.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

i would think lime stone would be readily available in the middle of the state. check for a local lime stone quarry, then root around outside, rocks are always falling out of trucks
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
KingPlakat
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
i would think lime stone would be readily available in the middle of the state. check for a local lime stone quarry, then root around outside, rocks are always falling out of trucks
Hahaha..."can i see your limestone" "That'll be $2 a pound" "OK...nevermind" ::Walks to the entrance and picks up a rock:: "Got me some limestone for free"
KingPlakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
joon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to joon

Rocks in SEPTA
joon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

i just dont see anyone with the right mind to pay $4-5 a lb...i mean with live rock atleast your gambling to hit some nice carry on corals and stuff...but freshwater rocks...unless ur paying for some nice looking seiryu i would understand ^^...

But then again everyone has their own opinions . Heres some rocks i picked up at my local gardening store...they're considered or called by the guy Black Volcanic Rock...i never bothered to test ph cause its fishless...for now...

Only down side is the rocks cut me a few times...i bought a big one and smashed it with a huge sludge hammer...then took a hammer and tapped off the sharp edges...obviously missed some ^^! but hey for $25 cents a lb...i spent $20 bucks total compared to spending $100
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
le0p
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aheartlessfish View Post
i just dont see anyone with the right mind to pay $4-5 a lb...i mean with live rock atleast your gambling to hit some nice carry on corals and stuff...but freshwater rocks...unless ur paying for some nice looking seiryu i would understand ^^...

But then again everyone has their own opinions . Heres some rocks i picked up at my local gardening store...they're considered or called by the guy Black Volcanic Rock...i never bothered to test ph cause its fishless...for now...

Only down side is the rocks cut me a few times...i bought a big one and smashed it with a huge sludge hammer...then took a hammer and tapped off the sharp edges...obviously missed some ^^! but hey for $25 cents a lb...i spent $20 bucks total compared to spending $100
They look great! Might have to check out a landscaping store.