Po4 is phosphate correct?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-26-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
chard
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Po4 is phosphate correct?

setting up my tank and with only a few fish and about 2 plants (going to be putting in some stem plants in the next day or two) my water parameters are as follows: Ph 6.8, Kh 14, NO3 5.0, Phosphate (I assume is Po4) 10.0. I was wondering if the phosphate levels will decrease with added plant load? I haven't been dosing anything yet and that is pretty much my starting point. l ordered and recieved kno3 and kh2po4 from Greg Watson (thanks greg) and will run tests as the plants get added and work from there. I just wanted to clarify my thinking on the phosphate part as Tom Barr seems to suggest in his report that high phosphate doesnt add to algae problems.
chard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
Spar
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

po4 = phosphates

10ppm is too high, but adding plants will obviously help this out, as they will absorb (eat) more of it.

Your PO4 is 10 before ever dosing at all? What is teh PO4 in your tap water? What substrate are you using?
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
Spar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 AM   #3
chard
Algae Grower

substrate is eco complete, only 2 plants in there atm, but have ordered a few more, some foxtails and some ludwigia. My tap water shows some po4 around .5. I am hoping that partial water changes will keep that number down a bit until plants arrive. Wondering if I should use a phosphate absorption media for a bit to bring that number down?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (247/100%)

there was a bad batch of Eco. Do a search on this board and you will find the info. I'm would guess that you got a bad batch
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 02:34 AM   #5
jmelnek
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Mine was the same way. My eco was corrupted but I drained off all the milky liquid before I used it (didn't know about the bad batches at the time, just didn't want that crap in my tank). That was about 5 months ago and my po4 reading is still over the test which stops a 3.0

MiAPG (Michigan Aquatic Plant Group) - Join today!
jmelnek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
chard
Algae Grower

luckily my batch was clear when I bought it, didnt think that the eco would cause an increase in my po4, :/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.