building a hood?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-26-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
daykinmade
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

building a hood?

since Ive realized that I dont have enough lighting, and because I think it would be cost effective and look better, I have decided that Im going to build a hood for my 10G tank.
Im thinking that I would build the hood out of 1/4" black plastic. inside will be to 2x18W 18" tube lights. the dimensions will be roughly 19.5" wide x 9.5" deep x 3" tall and should fit snuggly on top of my tank, sitting on top of a piece of glass, I suppose the piece of glass will be 1/4" thick as well. I am thinking I will leave the complete back of the hood box open to allow for cords, evaporation, etc. I will be using tiny screws and silicon to secure plastic pieces together.
does this design sound like it will work?
is there anything I should know about building hoods that could be a problem?

thanks
daykinmade
daykinmade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2005, 07:58 PM   #2
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Don't use silicone to glue it, its way too messy. Use Super Glue, the gell type. Makes a real strong bond. You wil have to use some sort of piece across the back to stiffen the top panel or it will sag from the heat and weight of the lights.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
Salamastre
Algae Grower

You could paint the inside of the hood with the most reflective paint you can buy.

Locally, three options are available: A reflective white paint used for road signs, a 'chrome finish' spray paint, and a reflective self adhesive film made by 3M. I have used the 'chrome finish', since it was cheapest.

The difference in how much light goes into the tank is very noticeable.

If you put too much superglue, or the surfaces are not really smooth and level where they join, you will make a mess. A trick used by local aquarium repairmen for years is to hold the pieces of plastic together, sprinkle a line of sodium bicarbonate at the joint, and then apply the crazy glue. The bicarbonate will soak up the glue, and make a very strong bond.

That is how I made a little hood, but forgot to build a lid. Changing a bulb requires a contortionist and lots of vaseline.
Salamastre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
daykinmade
Algae Grower

thanks for the tip on the super glue, can't believe I didnt think of that, and I call myself a designer...

also nice tip with spray paint, that sounds like the easiest option. how would silver Mylar work? I may try that instead for reflection. does anyone know anything about this.

as for the pieces being straight, Im going to have them laser cut, so they better be straight

either way, when Im done I should have 36 watts on my 10 gallon, Im pretty sure that should be enough
Old 07-26-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Troy McClure
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure

I made a nice canopy for my 10gal out of 1/4" birch. A few coats of primer inside and out, white paint inside, black outside. Works great. I started off with a 2x13W AHS kit, but it's not enough. 2x18W probably isn't much different. I'm currently running 1x36W AHS kit and can grow just about anything. Also, AHS reflectors are just about the best in the business so you won't have to worry about fancy paints on the inside. Don't worry about putting a piece of glass over the tank, there's not enough moisture to hurt anything and the evaporation isn't of any concern.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
daykinmade
Algae Grower

sorry Im a bit of newb as far as planted tanks go, what exactly is a 36W AHS kit, could someone supply me with a link?
will one of these kits fit in a 3" space?

thanks
Old 07-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #7
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

www.ahsupply.com

And the reflector is 4" wide.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #8
daykinmade
Algae Grower

thanks again rex
Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #9
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Our own Buck has directions on how to build your own hood right on his website:

http://www.buckmanshome.com/DIYcanopy.html

Mike
Old 07-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #10
jart
Wannabe Guru

I would normally suggest you seriously consider attaching the plastic onto some sort of frame made out of 3/8" x 3/8" wood. But this may not be feasible given the small size of the tank.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 03:26 AM   #11
Salamastre
Algae Grower

I am a designer too Daykinmade

I am currently building an extra light wight canopy for a 4 gallon nano using polystyrene sheets. If you are handy with an xacto knife an a ruler, polystyrene is really easy to use.

Instead of super glue, you can use chlorophorm or polystyrene monomer. It will actually weld the pieces together, making them a single solid piece. For filling up holes or making reinforcments, you can disolve some polystyrene shavings in chlorophorm and make a putty.

What I do is use tiny drops of superglue to hold the pieces together while the chlorophor does its job.

For a hinge, I just welded two strips, and made a halfway cut with the xacto. I'm waiting for it to dry, but based on my experience, it can take hundreds of bends before it will break.
Salamastre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 01:32 AM   #12
daykinmade
Algae Grower

Default the AH supply is very hot... very

ok, I got the AH supply 36wx1 with reflector for my 10 gallon a week ago. didnt have the time to outright build the hood the way I wanted. so i rigged it in to my stock ghetto hood for the last week (total hack job btw). so any way, that light gets hot. I have the tank in a book case is that a problem? I plan on building a custom light strip that attaches to the shelf above the tank, with the top of the tank open. still it is a tight fit and the light will be only 3 1/2" to 4" above the water. will this work?
can anybody tell me about their experience with AHsupply light and heat levels, etc.?

thanks
Jack

oh, things were getting so hot (tank was like a bath) I rigged a new hood from balsa wood, this is also temp, getting the plastic monday.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:17 AM   #13
briandmiles
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

You can add a fan to circulate air past the bulb and ballast that should take care of any heat issues you have.

Brian
Eheim Pimp #134
briandmiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 AM   #14
turbomkt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt

Adding a fan is definitely a good suggestion.

Here's my hood:

I'm running a 60x60mm fan in one corner and it keeps the tank at about 76deg. I've got an equal size hole on the opposite corner for flow. I've also made this hood with a groove so I can have a piece of glass cut to size.

I'd also like to say the Spar polyeurethane does wonders to repel water...

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41
turbomkt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 03:44 PM   #15
J0hn
Algae Grower

Mike,

What is the small metal box above the lights in the picture?
J0hn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.