Aquarium repair
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
Lynke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aquarium repair

Hey guys. I hope this is the right section. Seemed the most appropriate place and I'm thinking you DIYers would have the most experience here.

A while ago I went out to purchase a 20 gallon long from a Craigslist add. When I got their the guy apologized profusely and gave me the tank for free because it had a crack. Recently I cleaned it up and tested to see if it would hold water. It does and the crack is on the outside not reaching in. However that seems still too risky for me and I like my floor not covered in water.

I would hate to chuck the tank so I'm hoping I could fix it. I was going to fill the crack with silicone (aquarium safe of course) and then attach a piece of glass on both sides of the crack. Sound like a good idea or a disaster? I have heard very mixed things about aquarium repair and would like some direct advice. I will post pictures of the crack as soon as I can borrow a camera.
Lynke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #2
the4x4hoss
Algae Grower

I would wait for Petsmart to have another $1 a gallon sale and just get a new one.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Lynke
Algae Grower

Pet lands actually having a dollar a gallon sale right now, and I am picking up another tank from them. Just wondering if its possible to save this one.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
the4x4hoss
Algae Grower

In that case I would just use the cracked tank as part of an immersed grow setup.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Why not do the repair as written and use the tank for a vivarium? Then you are not throwing away something that can be used and there is little risk that the tank will fail.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:17 AM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If this is one of the long sides of the tank, which could be used as the back of the tank, you could do a careful job siliconing a new piece of glass to the inside of that cracked piece. I would spread the silicone over as much of the face as possible, so the 2 are glued over most of the surface. That piece could be black glass, or other non-transparent glass, so the silicone wasn't visible. Of course that new piece of glass would cost a big chunk of the $20 a new tank would cost, and added to the cost of the silicone, it wouldn't be a good use of money.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
rodcuda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Waste of time and money to fix it and take a risk of leakage. Sell or give it to someone for their reptiles.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Lynke
Algae Grower

If it is that much trouble I will just use it for something non aquarium related ^_^ no need to spend more money on this then a new aquarium.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #9
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Mine has been fine. I had one with a crack and I just sealed it with 100% silicone on both sides. Been running since the beginning of the year with no probs.