Setting up my new ADA tank for Ebiten PRL - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquefloorman View Post
Lets see a pic of this tank please.
Thanks,
Tim
I'll eventually get around to it....I don't want to de-rail this thread with people asking moss growing tips.

Usually when I posted pics of my shrimp I would get more questions on the moss than the actual shrimp. haha
hedge_fund is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #32
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Ammonia levels are getting high after 24 hours.

Ordered the eheim...should be here this week.

Last edited by hedge_fund; 10-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: added pic
Old 10-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #33
golfwang
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Can't wait for your new tank to finish cycling its going to be a great new home for your PRL's!
golfwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #34
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

2 days after set up. The waster has cleared up drastically. The substarte still has tons of dust if disturbed. Fancy Guppy is alive and eating.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #35
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
I'll let you know when it's time to part ways with my regular CRS.

Yeah they only had the 3 liter bags left and it wasn't many. If you are planning on getting some then you better go this weekend, otherwise it might be tough to get this substrate until ADA USA gets a new shipment.

By the way, the AquaSky lights are pretty neat....I was thinking about purchasing one.
Thanks! The aquasky lamps are pretty neat, more so in person. If you are still in the market in two weeks, i'll hopefully have my review on the Finnex Ray II for 48", 36", 30" and maybe a 20" (fugeray) posted here. The weather has delayed progress on my tank work as of late.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #36
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

That's what happens with aquasoil. Lots of ammonia. Why'd you make the substrate so thick though?

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #37
Byakuya
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

He originally planned on using a petco 20gal tank

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
Byakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #38
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
He originally planned on using a petco 20gal tank

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
Yup, thanks.

And I still have one bag of Africana left over unopened. I might take it back to the store or use it on a later project.

I do not mind the extra substarte. It's going to take longer to wear out.

I used the borneo wild app for calculation on the soil. It calls for 13 liters (I used 15 so it's not that much more).

Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #39
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Thanks! The aquasky lamps are pretty neat, more so in person. If you are still in the market in two weeks, i'll hopefully have my review on the Finnex Ray II for 48", 36", 30" and maybe a 20" (fugeray) posted here. The weather has delayed progress on my tank work as of late.
I will put using a Current T5 set up on this tank (you can see it in the pic with my old tank). But eventually I'll upgrade to either the Finnex Ray2 or AquaSky. Aestetically speaking, the aquasky is light years ahead of any Finnex. I bet you would get more people complimenting your aquasky than the actual tank itself...it looks pretty futeristic.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #40
nycfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)

tank's looking great. have you considered using purigen to keep the ammonia levels down or will you let it gradually leach out over time?
nycfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #41
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfish View Post
tank's looking great. have you considered using purigen to keep the ammonia levels down or will you let it gradually leach out over time?
Thanks. I plan on cycling the tank until I have no ammonia...not really in a rush for this to be done. I have Purigen bags in all my tanks so I'll be dropping one in the new Eheim as well when it arrives.

Since Hurricane Sandy has currently knocked out my power I was doing some random iPhone reading on shrimpsider and thought this below paragraph would keep me grounded.

http://shrimpsider.wordpress.com/

Have you ever had a bad phase with your shrimp and considered giving up?

Oh gosh, YES! I have had several. I think everyone most likely does. Since, as humans we learn from experience which are often failures, it is essential. The most important thing to learn is how to limit the mental, physical, monetary and most importantly emotional costs of those mistakes. The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT TIP I can give anyone is to go slowly and methodically. Don’t rush into any project no matter how much you want the shrimp or how awesome the deal you can get is. The shrimp will probably just die anyway. Slow down, do your research, gather the proper equipment and allow the time to cycle and age your tanks. Unless you are well experienced, don’t listen to those who tell you that it is ok to cycle your tank in a week or two or even 3! Sure, you may get you filter cycled along with your substrate. This is not all there is to keeping shrimp. As a novice, you may now rush your tank, get shrimp and even if it is properly cycled you will not have enough biofilm in the tank to help supplement the shrimp. In turn, shrimp may die of starvation, disease or other issues deriving from stress. If you feed them with supplemental shrimp/fish foods most new keepers are inexperienced and don’t feed a diverse diet or worse, feed the shrimp too much and end up overwhelming the new tank and its very new bacterial filtration. This will again results in death. I am not trying to be mean, but I often chuckle at threads where I read sob stories about shrimp dying and the “dire needed” help. When I read I find that most often corners were cut and now any number of issue can be the result. In my experience, 100% of my die offs were due to human error, 98% my own personal error. The important thing is to pick your head up, get back to research and ask questions.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #42
nycfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)

taking your time to methodically is probably best as you said.

good luck with the power situation too. CT looks to be hit particularly hard according to dan malloy.
nycfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #43
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

that is some massive substrate!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #44
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

One thing that I would like to say again. Over the last few years I have been foolish purchasing these cheap Petco tanks. ADA tanks are literally like comparing night and day. They cost about 10x more than a regular Petco tank but are definitely worth it. Hopefully someone sitting on the fence reads this post.

This is 3 days in so the water is clearing up. The glass clarity is nice. Can't wait to install a new light and throw some shrimp in.

Was supposed to receive my Eheim today but UPS is having delays due to Hurricane Sandy.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #45
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

lmk if you want any floaters to help with your cycle.

Tags
akadama, amazonia, ebiten, kamil, prl