Keeping the Kitten out of my tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

Keeping the Kitten out of my tanks

So i have a 9 month kitten who has become quite the climber. generally i wake up to him standing on top of 10 gal super tiger tank in my bedroom. occasinally i'll catch him on one of my 29g tanks, or i'll find plants that had been floaters in my cray tank. all of the tanks are open topped because of the light, except the crap tank. the cray tank is covered by the lights (two hood lights that you would normally see on a 10g tank.

i have gotten the cat to stop doing it while i am awake, but as the old saying goes " while the cat is away the mice will play"

any one have any tips other than buy glass tops?

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
OrangeSoda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Electrified razor wire run around the bottom of the tank.

N1k0n #58

They asked me to move because I was blocking a fire exit.
If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg
OrangeSoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
jerome736
Algae Grower

I used tape (put it upside down so when the cat jumps on it s/he jumps off immediately haha) on my furniture and that seems to work. Not sure how you would use it for your tanks though.
jerome736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
greenmulberry
Algae Grower

When I had cats and tanks, I did not like the glass tops because the cat would sit on the glass, and it would bow under his weight, all the while he remained totally unconcerned.

I don't know how much weight a glass top can support, but the weight of a cat appeared to push it to the limit and I am surprised it never snapped.

I think the warm glass on his bum was appealing.

None of my cats ever actually put paws in the tank though, so my solution was to go open top, as none of them wanted to get wet.
greenmulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Cats & Tanks

Hello Aqau...

Open tanks are an invitation to cats. I think it's the sound of water movement that draws them. We have eight indoor cats and five large open tanks. They loved the water movement created by the filtration and drank repeatedly from the water as it fell from the HOBs.

Some time ago, my wife bought one of those water holding gizmos that you plug in and the water circulates and creates a little waterfall. The thing makes a little splashing noise like the HOBs and within a day or two, all the cats were drinking from their fancy, new water dish. I haven't seen them near the tanks in some time.

Just a thought for your little guy.

B
Old 10-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
J.mccollum
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

time to get the water gun out or super soaker!
J.mccollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have found cats don't like things that are small enough to push up into the paws. How about eggcrate across the top?
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

lol this post got lost in my stream thanks for the responses i hope you guys are are still out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmulberry View Post
When I had cats and tanks, I did not like the glass tops because the cat would sit on the glass, and it would bow under his weight, all the while he remained totally unconcerned.

I don't know how much weight a glass top can support, but the weight of a cat appeared to push it to the limit and I am surprised it never snapped.

I think the warm glass on his bum was appealing.

None of my cats ever actually put paws in the tank though, so my solution was to go open top, as none of them wanted to get wet.

your lucky i've woken up to splash as my kitten almost falls in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Aqau...

Open tanks are an invitation to cats. I think it's the sound of water movement that draws them. We have eight indoor cats and five large open tanks. They loved the water movement created by the filtration and drank repeatedly from the water as it fell from the HOBs.

Some time ago, my wife bought one of those water holding gizmos that you plug in and the water circulates and creates a little waterfall. The thing makes a little splashing noise like the HOBs and within a day or two, all the cats were drinking from their fancy, new water dish. I haven't seen them near the tanks in some time.

Just a thought for your little guy.

B

thats a good thought. i have have bucket of water (i'm not sure why i haven't dumped it out, probably something to do with me being lazy) that my kitten has been playing in, instead of my tanks which is nice.

i'm gonna look into those waterfalls i have wondered about getting them before. thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.mccollum View Post
time to get the water gun out or super soaker!
it doesn't even phase him, he knows that it means he is doing something bad but the gun only causes him to stop long enough for me to look away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I have found cats don't like things that are small enough to push up into the paws. How about eggcrate across the top?

i've tried to stay away from egg crate because i feel like it would mess with my lighting?

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

How about chicken wire?
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Jules
Planted Member

Easy - get rid of the kitten and get a puppy instead.

This solution brings the added advantage of no longer owning cats.
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

bogus^^

Our kitten is almost 4 months old and she really likes the tank but unfortunately I might have to keep the door to my room closed all the time pretty soon.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
rrastro
Planted Member

My cat is no longer a kitten and does exactly the same thing. Despite persistent use of the squirt gun deterrent I still find her there periodically. All my tanks have the black wire-tops, made for reptile terrariums, that they sell at PetCo. Despite this the cat still drinks from the outflow on the HOB on one of the tanks, though it seems she leaves the other two alone. This may cut down on light some but not enough for me to be concerned.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Get some piranahs...he will never do it again LOL
Old 11-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Funny thread. One idea is you could get a can of SSSCAT: Innotek SSSCAT Cat Training Aid

Yesterday I was rescaping out my 12 gallon edge. I had just dumped in aqua soil and then I left the room for 1 minute. I came back to this. He's about a 7 months old Maine Coon named Rocky.

AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #15
Rev_jim_jones
Planted Member

I used to have open tops with my cat then he kept falling in (the other cat has no desire to be on the tank just next too it.) HE likes to fish out Surface dwellers to play with so I went glass tops (Of which he broke 2). No he attempts to sit on the Ecopico but thankfully he is too big to actually get on it, yet he still drapes himself all the way over it.
Rev_jim_jones is offline   Reply With Quote