What to do with a leaky 5 gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #1
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

What to do with a leaky 5 gallon

I suppose when you get a 5 gallon metaframe tank for $4 I shouldn't be surprised that it has a few issues. I got the rust it used to have removed, sealed (or at least rust-o-leum-ed), and in doing so managed to crack one of the long panels of glass right near the bottom. I already knew the slate bottom couldn't hold water, but this was icing on the cake.

And then I came here and had an idea. Plants that don't need to be in dirt or water!
Tada!

I need to find a better piece of wood for it, but I think it looks pretty nice like this. Any other ideas? Know a good place to get tillandsias?

Last edited by Kehy; 11-06-2012 at 01:38 AM.. Reason: Better title, more caffeine
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Platinumflamepyro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've never seen a tank with a slate bottom! Thats awesome.

I install slate on the back walls of most all my aquariums as a background.

Now on to airplants/tillandsia

Black jungle supply offers many of them at a reasonable price as well as many other great terrarium plants.

There are also if you search airplants on google many companys that sell them. Haven't tried them.

The tillandsias I had from black jungle came in very healthy but my setups were all too humid for them and they quickly perished.
Platinumflamepyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I'd never seen a tank like it before, but it seems they were produced in the 70-80's. The edges of the slate were sealed with some sort of tar stuff, since apparently silicone didn't/doesn't stick to slate. The tar was long gone by time I got it, and I was planning on having to add glass over the slate, but that seems like an awful lot of work now, hahaha.

And thanks for that, I'll be checking that place out.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

http://airplants4u.com/ a good place for tillandsias, you can also check out these guys http://www.rainforestflora.com/. as far as the metaframe goes, warm water seals them up pretty well. a few of us "old schoolers" know the trick to them. LOL good luck with it
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol, I thought about doing that, but there was literally no tar left at all. It seems someone before me went and removed it (and probably wondered why it leaked afterwards). Thanks for the links!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

no prob. and the warm water trick definitely wouldn't have worked after you cracked it.....lol what not just lay it back down the way it was intended and do a nice terrarium in it? you can still add tillandsias, but also other nice green stuffs as well. or you could do something like the tillandsia tank on this thread:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=192516
Fishies_in_Philly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really like the black background of the slate and the tillies would really pop against it. I might lay it down on its long side instead though. I just want something simple and brainless to take care of that would offer a nice contract to the other 5 gallon it will be next to. Those setups do give me some ideas though, hmm...
Old 10-30-2012, 06:12 AM   #8
Platinumflamepyro
Algae Grower

I love vertical tanks. For a terrarium you should be able to just run some silicone over the crack and hide it below the substrate.

Could do a nice pond in the front if you put glass across the front too. Would be great for tillandsia too.. Humid but not too much.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Unless I could find a 8x10xX" clear container, I don't think a pond would really work since I doubt my glass-adding abilities, lol. If I could figure that out, I would probably use it for its original plan as a betta tank. Might be nice with a pond though, hmm. Maybe with moss climbing out of the pond and up some branches, maybe a couple nice little alternatheras or ludwigias...hmm...
I don't know why, I'm just not feeling the terrarium thing. I know it could look good (actually one of my first thoughts for this tank), but it's just not appealing anymore.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #10
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default The leaky 5 gallon makes me susceptible to suggestion

So I said I wouldn't have this set up like a normal tank (bottom down). Did that. Said I might not have a pond. Did that. Kinda. Now I have a planted tank in my not-yet-planted tank, so I can plant my tank while I plant my tank...d'oh. I ended up having to put the cracked side facing out, due to stains on the other side. Doesn't seem too noticeable.
Set up next to my other 5 gallon:

The "pond"

And what's this?

The pond all planted up

I really wish I had an erio or even a small piece of blyxia japonica, that would go so well with the tillies. I did order some, but no word on when they'll arrive. Also something to point out, I can't remove the bowl now that there's something in it. To get it in and out of the tank (thanks to the annoying metal frame) I have to put it entirely on its side.
Plants are:
Anubias nana
Crypt. Green Gecko and Lucens
Baby struggling sword plant

But anyways, opinions so far?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #11
Platinumflamepyro
Algae Grower

I like it! Keep it updated!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumflamepyro View Post
I like it! Keep it updated!
Your wish is my command:

The dry with the wet, and used the same river rocks in both. The dry one does look a little odd without algae on the rocks...and it's kinda sad that I'm saying that. I may have to try growing moss to try and soften the rocks.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally got a couple terrestrial plants in, and I'd love to show you, but photobucket is down for the time being. I added a wee baby hen-and-chicks baby that wasn't doing too hot outside, and a branch of lemon thyme. I really love the thyme, it looks like sagebrush...and kinda like a cascading bonsai to me. Unfortunately, I don't know how well they'll do in the dirt they're in. It's really heavy clay soil that holds in water like mad, and can be very hard and tough... I may need to replant them into something a bit more friendly.

Also, my tillandsias finally shipped! Unfortunately I might lose them all before I get them...very bad coordination of shipping time and a wood carving show I can't miss. Also, it's decided to be winter today. Snow and cold and sun, gotta love Eastern Washington. The plants come in on Saturday, I get back Sunday or Monday...place your bets now.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright, photobucket is working now, so time for some new pics!

have a different angle, this is the view from my recliner.

The terrestrial plants are lemon thyme (smells so good!) and a itty bitty hen and chicks baby. Had to replant them for the second time today, and I tried to adjust their dirt to be a bit more root friendly...we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Woo, got my tillies in! I don't know if they'll survive, as they spent 2 days in below freezing temps in a mailbox. They didn't look dead or even really beat up (freezing might have helped with that). I soaked them as directed, and they did look a bit better afterwards. If they don't make it, I do have another group on the way. They came with a list of names, but I haven't ID'ed most of the plants. I also added a lil baby aloe vera plant in the back with the thyme. At last though, it looks like a full little terrarium, and only took a couple weeks, yay.

left side

bottom right side

full right side

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.