HELP: evolve 8 vs nuvo nano 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
walk soft

PTrader: (0/0%)

HELP: evolve 8 vs nuvo nano 8

I am looking to build a fresh water planted. I would like to carpet with dwarf baby tears. Which tank would you pick? Do either of these require mod lighting? Which mod lighting would be needed?

Thank you all!

Walk
walk soft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Gplus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walk soft View Post
I am looking to build a fresh water planted. I would like to carpet with dwarf baby tears. Which tank would you pick? Do either of these require mod lighting? Which mod lighting would be needed?

Thank you all!

Walk
I know I'll probably catch slack not directly answering your question, but here we go. The nuvo nano 8 for example is 15 inches tall. Thats 15 inches of water to penetrate, with the weak light it comes with I doubt you'd have any success growing baby tears. That system also costs 200 dollars. Hear me out here, for less (probably 20-50 dollars) you could get a 10 gallon which is only 12 inches tall and but a t5 light from Catalina aquariums for a great price. That would give you a much more solid shot ad growing what you want to grow. Also remember the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain. Its only a 2 gallon difference but better than nothing! Good luck!
Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

If you want a "plug and play", I would go with the Aquastyle 6. I am having luck growing pretty much whatever I put in there. Good light, good filter, beautiful glass tank.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
wrm130
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
If you want a "plug and play", I would go with the Aquastyle 6. I am having luck growing pretty much whatever I put in there. Good light, good filter, beautiful glass tank.
I second this!

I personally have a Evolve 8...which I had full of hemianthus micranthemoides. But I had to swap out the useless stock light to grow anything. I also find the sump area a waste of space and not very intelligently laid out. Furthermore, the outlet for the waterpump/sump is not very adjustable and quite focused. The pump is overpowered as well. And and and lol its acrylic so prone to scratching. OH and my lid has hazed from the heat of the more powerful light. Seriously, it basically sucks lol

The gf just bought an aquastyle 9. The light is very very bright, the filter works very very well and is sized perfectly for the tank, flow wise. It also has a secure compartment inside for housing media of your choice. Nice thick solid glass and no wasted space for a sump! I personally prefer this to the evolve without a doubt.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
wrm130
Planted Member

here's how it looked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-02-22 12.03.59.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	172009  

Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #6
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have an Evolve 4, and cannot wait to kick that thing to the curb. The reasons are very well outlined above.

I also have the Aquastyle 6, and I love it to pieces. Truly a tank I can see keeping my whole life.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
idleivey
Planted Member

I have a Evolve 4 running. For that size the lighting seems adequate although you would want to upgrade eventually. The pump will also need to be replaced unless you want to hear the thing running. For what I paid (like $40 for the 4 gallon) it is fine. The Nuvo is a much nicer setup it just costs significantly more.
idleivey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
jbig
Planted Member

i also have an evolve 8. severely dissapointed when i opened it up to see how much space the rear chamber takes away.

i will say that my pump does not give me any issues. it is a little strong though. mine is quiet.

BUT...it is my second pump (exchanged the first one at petsmart) because the first was obnoxious and rattled.

Had to switch out the light as well. Using a Wavepoint 8w micro sun high output LED
jbig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
walk soft

Thank you all for the advice, I think you swayed me to the Aquastyle, just one question.... Out of the box you are happy with it?
walk soft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

100%. I find the light is perfect on the 6.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
KFryman
Planted Member

I remember that a YouTube got an Aquastyle, I think the 4... But she's successfully growing baby tears with the stock kit. Why pay for a tank then have to replace all the parts. That's why I stopped buying kits.

I think her YouTube name is ThereThereTBKON

Tags
8 gallon, carpet plants, evolve 8, lighting, nuvo nano 8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.