preparing the tanks for the storm?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
hopeforthebest
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

preparing the tanks for the storm?

We are going to get nailed here in the NE (USA) with the Storm aka "Sandy". They are calling it the storm of a lifetime. Frankenstorm. My question is...What is the best way to prepare for the worst, hope for the best, with my fish tanks? In the past I have done a large water change before the storm, and when power goes out for days, I do another when the power comes back on. Should I try a w/c during the power outage? Should I use Prime? I am near a panic attack about this. Any good thoughts on how to deal with a long-term power outage and maybe no fresh water? Thank You in advance!
hopeforthebest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Am I the only one who doesn't believe the media hype?

Im not doubting the storm hit other places very, very hard, but here in NY I think its a case of the media trying to scare everyone.

Water changes couldn't hurt anything. You could store water in buckets now if you dont think you will have access to it later.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't believe the media hype?

Im not doubting the storm hit other places very, very hard, but here in NY I think its a case of the media trying to scare everyone.

Water changes couldn't hurt anything. You could store water in buckets now if you dont think you will have access to it later.

Last year?? We were told by the Bloomberg administration to evacuate with the fear of flooding near the coastal area. I live somewhat near the Sheepshead Bay area. LOL Evacuate to where??? Oh, the city public school 5 blocks down. So, if there would be a major flooding, my home would get destroyed but the school 5 blocks down won't???? He was damn lucky that many weren't that naive to believe him. Otherwise, his warning would create a massive chaos with people going nowhere...unless you have a car. Not all New Yorkers have cars.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

Get a battery operated, portable air pump....

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Last year?? We were told by the Bloomberg administration to evacuate with the fear of flooding near the coastal area. I live somewhat near the Sheepshead Bay area. LOL Evacuate to where??? Oh, the city public school 5 blocks down. So, if there would be a major flooding, my home would get destroyed but the school 5 blocks down won't???? He was damn lucky that many weren't that naive to believe him. Otherwise, his warning would create a massive chaos with people going nowhere...unless you have a car. Not all New Yorkers have cars.
Exactly. I live close to the water also and wasn't going anywhere. I actually slept through that last storm that was supposed to be crazy.

The worst that happens here is a little flooding in certain places, and thats because theyre essenitally under sea level and have awful drainage. It'll flood if it drizzles.

These "hurricanes" end up just being big rain storms.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Backup power makes sense, but everyone else is thinking the same thing, so it may be too late to do anything about it.

It also may be too late for this idea: stop feeding. If filtration will cease, you want to slow down all metabolism.

Good luck!
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Shangrila
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Like tetra73 said, get a battery powered air pump. As for me a have a generator that will keep my pond filter running and my tanks + my refrigerator and some lights. IMHO I don't think much will happen up here. Maybe some wind and heavy rain but if it's worse I'm ready. I thought I read somewhere about putting hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spraying it just under the water surface to add o2 the the water but I could be wrong. Maybe someone here has heard of it.
Shangrila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #8
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Battery powered air pumps with stones...aged water in buckets (primed) in case power is out longer than a couple days...stop feeding day or two before storm...partial wc two days before ...all good ideas trust me being from Louisiana we been thru a bunch of them
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #9
hopeforthebest
Algae Grower

Unhappy

With TS Irene, here in the Hudson Valley, there was damage I have never seen before. Homes were swept off their foundations and cars completely under water. I myself live in a mountainous area and still had several inches of water downstairs, and I was a lucky one. Some of my neighbors had the downstairs destroyed. I had no power for several days and threw out most of my fridge food. I want to prevent as much as possible loss with my fish tanks. Irene cost me way too much to think this storm is "over rated and "hype". I was not prepared for Irene, ...thinking it was all hype, and it cost me thousands. For me...I will prepare for the worst...don't want to, nor can I afford to go through that again.
hopeforthebest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

As one who has seen the remains of more then a few storms there has always been a saying that stuck with me.

It is not the storm which kills people. It is the lack of preparation that kills.

Just do as you see you need but keep in mind that if it is worse than predicted, it will not help to call 911. You have read about the last major hurricane hitting New York? 1934 was it?
The're still finding debris but stopped looking for the bodies.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #11
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Prepare for the worst & hope for the best!

After the derecho storm last June we lost power for a few days & I changed a few gallons of water every day & cut way back on feeding.

That worked well.

I've since gotten a battery pump w/ an air stone. I would still change some water every day.

We have JUST finished w/ the insurance company stuff over that storm so the thought of more storm damage makes me want to scream!!
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #12
Mcg177
Algae Grower

About 4 or 5 years ago we here in Florida got hit with multiple storms speaking from experience ( I lost ALOT of my fish) in a heavily planted tank you don't have to do to much to keep every thing alive durring the power outages (3 weeks with out power I didn't loose a thing) but when the power came back on my CANISTER FILTER turned back on and every thing went bad from there I believe that with the lack of flow for that long that a lot of toxins built up in it the when the power came back on WHOOSH straight into the body of the tank and every fish was dead by morning... my suggestion to you guys up north is a battery operated air stone or if you can't find one a cordless drill with a SMALL paint stirrer to get some turbulence for a min or two a couple times a day will keep enough oxygen in the tank but remember to tank you filter off and clean it before it turns back on

Sent from my Inspire 4G
Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #13
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Has anyone used an PC APU as a backup for their tank?

Last year Irene left us without power for a week and temps dropped to the 50s. I lost a betta pair but oddly one of their babies surfvived.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
C.Barb.
Algae Grower

Good advice mcg
C.Barb. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
craigee2199
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to craigee2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcg177 View Post
About 4 or 5 years ago we here in Florida got hit with multiple storms speaking from experience ( I lost ALOT of my fish) in a heavily planted tank you don't have to do to much to keep every thing alive durring the power outages (3 weeks with out power I didn't loose a thing) but when the power came back on my CANISTER FILTER turned back on and every thing went bad from there I believe that with the lack of flow for that long that a lot of toxins built up in it the when the power came back on WHOOSH straight into the body of the tank and every fish was dead by morning... my suggestion to you guys up north is a battery operated air stone or if you can't find one a cordless drill with a SMALL paint stirrer to get some turbulence for a min or two a couple times a day will keep enough oxygen in the tank but remember to tank you filter off and clean it before it turns back on

Sent from my Inspire 4G
Thank you, this is great advice. I was just thinking about this today, hoping this storm isn't as bad as they say. The last Hurricane knocked out power for our part of RI for about a week and I didn't lose any fish. However, I only had the 10 gal. at the time and that storm was during the Summer. Now I have a 38 gal as well and temps at night have been down to the 40/50's. *Fingers crossed*
craigee2199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.