Bill's 90G High Tech Planted - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
ccbeauch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looks good! love the hardscape. keep up the good work.
The Fraternity of Dirt #98
72 Bow Front Dirted Planted Discus Tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...87#post1983187
Discus in Action! (new video 10 weeks in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWWy9ZzALLI
ccbeauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
alipper
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Nice looking tank. I do have one question though; are you running all 4 lights at the same time?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alipper View Post
Nice looking tank. I do have one question though; are you running all 4 lights at the same time?
Most of the time yes. I run 2 in the morning, 4 during the day and 2 in the evening again.

I am dosing using the PPS-Pro method, and running the lights by that recommendation trying to keep 24 Wpg per day;

https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...zer/home/light
bbrackeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #19
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Added about 15 Glowlights this week, everything going well. Some pics and video I shot tonight. Have a feeling this is going to lead to a better camera.

Quick Video walk around

Last edited by bbrackeen; 11-24-2012 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: added video
Old 11-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #20
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

See my 14g Biocube journal in my signature. There you will see a moss tree I made out of manzanita and zipties. I recently took it out if the tank due to hair algae accululation from the light intensity. You maybe interested in purchasing it from me.

Beatiful tank, keep up the good work!
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #21
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
See my 14g Biocube journal in my signature. There you will see a moss tree I made out of manzanita and zipties. I recently took it out if the tank due to hair algae accululation from the light intensity. You maybe interested in purchasing it from me.
Yea, I'm having the same problem with hair algae and in fact threw away a bunch of the moss today. I'm considering riccia instead, or just keeping it trimmed, or just letting it go. Right now just letting everything go 70's style to get good growth.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #22
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Well I wish I could say things have been all "rainbows and bunnies"... Lost a SEA or two from jumping out of the tank. I've been looking for a glass top but can't find one that doesn't have a middle brace, and alas... I've got algae everywhere!

I've never had this kind of algae, but then again I have never started with planted tank, my previous was an established tank that I went planted, so I assume this is a normal right of passage.

This stuff seemed to have originated on the java moss I got from the LFS, which was of poor quality, and my gut feeling when I bought it was to avoid it, but I didn't listen.

This was 3 days after removing the majority of the java moss. This stuff grows like wildfire!

Brown hair algae, Diatoms, Rhizoclonium? by bbrackeen, on Flickr

It "was" isolated to the java moss, but after kicking the hornets nest, it spead to everything in the tank.

20121201-DSC_0558.jpg by bbrackeen, on Flickr

As best I can tell from google, and these forums is its a form of brown hair algae most times refered to as "Rhizoclonium". Its VERY fast growing, very fragile, slimy, and difficult to remove without spreading all over the tank. I broke out the microscope and this is what came up at 40x.

Rhizoclonium? by bbrackeen, on Flickr

Today did a rather large (60%ish) water change, removed as much as I could in the 3 hours my back would allow me (mostly by rubbing leaves with my finger and thumb), and dosed Excel by the 5ml/10G initial dosing regiment the bottle recommended. We'll see what happens...

I've been doing the PPS-pro method, and my nitrates have stayed pretty much around the 5-10ppm mark, amonia/nitrate @ 0, and generally phosphates have remained almost undetectable by days end. Have been sticking with 24 watt per hour light cycle as recommended by the pps-pro method... Well sort of..

A little back story on when this started and became a real problem. About a week and half ago it had pretty much taken over the java moss tree, so I figured I would do a WC and remove it and just call it a loss. After removal it disintegrated and went all over the tank. Two days later, it started growing on everything! I immediately went into panic mode, stopped pps-pro dosing, turn off the lights, and paced around the room a few days.

The plants did really bad, started getting weak, turned translucent, and the stuff still grew. Hell, grew faster! If the stuff is going to keep growing, I might as well have healthy plants with algae, than dead plants with algae. So I kicked the lights back on, started back on the PPS-pro.

Plants started recovering a little, so today I thought well... If the ship is going down, I might as well try doing a huge cleanup effort and water change, and start dosing excel. So here we are. We'll see where it leads.

Lights still on, skipped PPS-pro today, will resume tomorrow (unless anyone else strongly disagrees). Might do another small WC and try to vacuum up what is floating on the substrate after today's massive cleaning.

Wish me luck.

Last edited by bbrackeen; 12-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: Updated full tank view below
Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
discusplantedtanklover
Algae Grower

Very nice drift wood, I love it.
discusplantedtanklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Maybe it is something like this.
http://westerndiatoms.colorado.edu/t...losira_varians

no idea really.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
Cardinal's Keeper
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)

Stumbled upon your thread as I am planning a 80-90g tank within the next few months and building upon my own ideas for this new one by seeing what other have done. Sorry to see the troubles you've had based on a solid beginning with very nice tank/equipment (im really thinking about that ultimate setup form aquariumplants!). Im not sure what advice I could give from the point of where you stand now. But these are things I do when starting a new tank that have always worked for me and may give you some perspective..?

First is your water source, even though the tap water may be good on the surface of things (hardness/Ph/nitrates) it may be high in other undesirables such as phosphates or silicates. With that your only option is to source some good RO/DI water. I have had a RO/DI unit running for about 15 yrs, so the cost of the unit has long diminished form my mind, but buying water was not something I wanted to deal with. I have never had good plant tank results when going high tech by using tap water. Always had algae issues.

Also on new tank setups, I usually plant as heavily as possible and then let the plants establish for at least a month or longer with signs of high growth before introduction of fish (usually looking for plant growth to double). Keeping CO2 very high and only dosing ferts with the goal of "minimum effective dosage". Something I have just got a feel for over many years of plant tanks. Then moving up from there while watching the plants and keeping up with their needs. I have read where many others have been able to fight back against algae with excel and peroxide, but I have not used these methods myself.

What I would do is try to go with RO/DI water changes and reconstitute the water for the tank. Lower ferts drastically while experiencing alagae growth. Get as many shrimp as you can to help combat diatoms and other algae. Experiment with less full light for shoter periods until algae is under control. It will be alot of trial and error until you see a balance taking place which will allow the plants to take over and be more efficient at absorbing the nuts than the alage can.

Other things I would do if I were in your shoes (not that they will help), but I would avoid the air stone to keep CO2 concentration higher and move the surface skimmer to its maximum depth while still allowing the surface skimming portion to be effective on the surface. Help to draw water from the deeper part of the tank.

Please do not take anything I am saying as a critique on you or your tank. I really like your tank/equipment and hope you the best! Just trying to give a different perspective

Best of Luck and hope to see things improve!
Cardinal's Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Quote:
Please do not take anything I am saying as a critique on you or your tank. I really like your tank/equipment and hope you the best! Just trying to give a different perspective
Oh of coarse not. If I didn't want advice or other peoples perspective, I wouldn't post in a public forum. I always appreciate advice! Without a doubt, I don't have all the answers, and you have some very good ideas. Thanks!

I had a RO unit when I did my reef tank, and originally had one in my budget for this tank. Buying water at this scale would be an unnecessary cost when RO units are so cheap online.

I'm still not out on the idea, and after the holidays, I might get another one. Honestly I just really wanted to avoid having to store jugs of RO water, but we'll see. I do miss knowing exactly what is in my water and building it up from nothing.

As for the tank, things really seemed to be improving since Saturday. The combination of excel, massive cleaning, and large water change have done wonders for everything, and I did a smaller change on Sunday to pick up everything that had settled overnight. A lot of plants showed over 1/2" growth in one day and algae grown seems to be better in check.

I expected problems from the beginning. That's part of the "fun", figuring everything out. Not to say you can't have problem free tanks, just that I never seem to have one, so I expect some challenges along the way. Like all things if you pay attention, and react soundly, things work out well.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #27
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Everything is looking fantastic, pearling like crazy.

I can only attribute this to dosing excel... I've never seen a large water change have such a drastic effect, but I could be wrong. I'm sure its a little column A, a little column B.

As well I'm seeing half the normal algae on the glass (normally a daily wiping is necessary). Its not a very scientific judgement, but I have zero... I mean ZERO brown hair algae. I do see some green hair algae, but nothing I find alarming. As far as I can tell it could have been there all along, we'll see how it reacts in the next few days.

Removed the air stone and adjusted the skimmer, I like the look. Much cleaner, and I had it in there for no better reason than I had one laying around.

Nh3 0
No2 0
No3 <5
P04 0
KH @ 7
PH 6.8-6.9 (CO2 should be knocking at 30ppm)
TDS 205ppm (was 247 before Saturday, tap is 167)

Been skipping on the PPS-Pro Macro dosing (NPK), only doing the plantex, excel, and some iron in evening. Tomorrow I'm going to go back to fully dosing with the macro nutrients.

Current Daily Dosing (morning unless noted, would it help to split the PPS dosing morning and evening?);
8ml PPS-Pro #1 (Macro/NPK)
8ml PPS-Pro #2 (Plantex CSM+B)
16ml Excel (8ml morning + 8ml Evening)
8ml Flourish Iron in evening

Notes on initial Excel dose after water change was 40ml (5ml per 10G as per bottle), daily dose is 2x recommendation spread over the day morning and evening. One interesting note, the Amano shrimp come out of the wood work about 60 seconds of dosing excel. I never see more than one every few days, but apparently I still have at least 6 of the 8 I bought a few weeks ago.

Full tank pic, hope this keeps up.

December by bbrackeen, on Flickr

Last edited by bbrackeen; 12-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: question on dosing
Old 12-04-2012, 04:49 AM   #28
Cardinal's Keeper
Planted Member

Looking great man

Just keep at it and making adjustments as things progress
Old 12-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #29
Cardinal's Keeper
Planted Member

Just thought I would drop this here in case you have not read it before. Even though it looks like you have a got things going well again. Interesting method and dead simple for the most part.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=173827&page=4
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #30
bbrackeen
Algae Grower

Its been a week or so, and in this case no new is good news.

Everything is going great, algae is under control, brown algae is non-existent.

Dosing is more less the same although I've moved to dry dosing plantex as the 500ml I created started molding up badly.

8ml PPS-Pro #1 (Macro/NPK)
1/8th tsp Plantex CSM+B dry
16ml Excel (8ml morning + 8ml Evening)
8ml Flourish Iron in evening

I've had small daily occurrences of BGA, but after upping my nitrates to about 10ppm+ they seemed to have lessened. Algae on glass has been minimal, and the green hair agae on the plants is all disapeared, and is minimal on the wood. Its enough to look nice and provide food for the SAE and amano shrimp.

Also lowered temp to from 80 to 76 degrees to see if that has any effect on slowing BGA growth. I think its safe to say discuss are all but out of the question, as my maintenance level is at a comfortable roar.

Maybe a few angels, but I'm in no hurry at the moment. Just trucking along for a while.

20121214-DSC_1282.jpg by bbrackeen, on Flickr

Last edited by bbrackeen; 12-15-2012 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: clearity

Tags
90g, discus, high tech