fertilizer questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

fertilizer questions

As for the ferts, how do you know what ferts to add to existing water, and how much. Basicly I'm asking... How does one know how much micro nutrience and pottasium to add to the water. If everyone has diffrent plant loads, then everyone needs to dose diffrently.

eg = I have a 75 gallon tank. If I add all the right amount of ferts at the beggining, how do I know how much to add inbetweyne water changes??
shuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 01:26 PM   #2
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

You try to estimate this. The idea is to not limit plant growth by starving them of nutrients. With this in mind, you shoot high. The water change every week ensures there is no large build up of unused nutrients. If you CO2 is above 30ppm and steady, then you will not have a prob with excess ferts.

jB
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

cool, thats exactly what i neede to know. Basicly you just guess how much of everything you should be adding
Old 07-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

Well there is some science behind the "guessing". Have you read up on EI and PPS? These are both very informitive approaches. Is your tank 75? I have a 75 gallon EI dosing routine at home, I can post it for you?

**Warning....If you are thinking of EI, you will have to ensure HIGH and STABLE CO2 levels to really ensure great success.

jB
Old 07-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #5
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mt C02 levels are comming from a DIY c02 system. I made 3, two liter pop bottels hooked up with a gang valve. I bought a "ladder diffuser" from my LFS, so hopefully that will work. I plan to upgrade to presserized C02 soon, but I just don't have the money right now. What do you think about my DIY Co2 settup on my 75 gallon. Each bottel lasts about 3 weeks, so I co-ordinate changing one bottle every week. This ensures that I'll keep a constant flow of C02, and levels won't fluctuate very much. Do you think this approach will work with a 75 gallon? I read about someone else on this forum who has a 75 gallon DIY C02 with a micro bubbler for diffusing the C02. He claims that he's getting up to 25 ppm in a 75 gallon tank.

Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #6
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Does not matter what method you use, the idea is to have above limiting levels.

This applies to:

Light
CO2
Nutrients

in this order.
If you want to limit something, eg to slow growth, start with less light then progress to not adding CO2 etc.......
This will provide slower growth without nutrient deficencies(other than CO2, but plants can and do adapt to lower CO2 levels over time)

Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

Im sorry I missed your tank specs. I see that you have posting all over the forum. Try to stick to one or two threads, so that we have all your information in one spot. I think you are going to run into probs with DIY on a 75. What is your lighting like?

jB
Old 07-26-2005, 06:27 AM   #8
shuks
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ya, sorry for all the threads. Sometimes I just get carried away.
is there any way to erase them?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:46 AM   #9
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

No need to erase them, shuks. You posted questions, and people answered. There may be other people who have the same questions you do and may benefit from those threads as well.

Mike