DIY LED on planted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 AM   #1
gobywonkenobi

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY LED on planted

I am new to the website but not new to aquaria. I have had planted tanks in the past, my last one was about 6 years ago. I got into saltwater and I currently have 2 reef tanks set up and running. But i miss my planted tank. I wanna start a 5.5 gal planted nano. I have a DIY LED fixture from rapidled.com that I want to use but im not sure if it will work for plants. It has 2 cree UV leds, 2 cree blue leds and 3 cree white leds. Would this work for plants? I would like to have it heavily planted. Also I dont have room for a co2 system like i used to have on my other planted tanks, what products out there are good fertilizer and food for the plants? I have heard alot about seachem flourish and root tabs. Are these good products? What substrate do you guys use?
gobywonkenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

As long as you can dim each color, i don't see a problem using it. If not, the plants may look a little weird under reef spec lighting. Worst case, just disconnect the UV and blue leds, and run just the white.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #3
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Any light that works well for a reef tank is likely to produce much too much light for a planted tank. And, I think most of us find the appearance of a planted tank with actinic lights is sort of weird and unpleasant to look at. Better to start over, or run just the white LEDs.

For the other questions, the best idea would be to search the various forums to get a good overview of what is used, why, and how well it works.