How to keep plants in substrate?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

How to keep plants in substrate?

I switched substrate 2 weeks ago to this aquariumplants dot com substrate, and I like it a lot, but my plants keep coming out of the substrate. I spend several hours setting the tank up and then filled it, was fine, and then moved a few things around and stuff just started to come up like crazy, it made me so annoyed. I assume it just something I am going to have to deal with until the roots take hold? I also assume I should not put my zebra loaches back in the tank at this point for a few weeks or I am going to have the same problem? I have about 20 fish in the tank, mostly small tetras and the problem has not gotten any wrose with those fish. Just really annoying.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
ramen lover
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

i use eco-complete substrate and that substrate is a bit of a pain to plant in. what i do is i dig a small hole.. shove my stem plants in there and pile on the substrate on each side. it seems to work lol.

if it is a bigger plant, you could always tie it to driftwood/rock/etc.
ramen lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Jim_PA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I did try making hole first, it mostly my vals that pop or sag, I have about 150 of each in the tank.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

I use tweezers/forceps/hemostats to hold the roots and pull the crown under the substrate. Release the roots pulling the ends of the tweezers apart so substrate falls around the roots then pull out the tweezers. Gather the leaves and place the crown of the plant at the surface of the substrate. If you are planting without water in the tank then you could make a little trench, lay the plants in and cover up like you are planting onions but that won't work very well with water in the tank what with buoyant plants and substrate moving.

Floaters happen. Just replant and replant and replant.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
concepts88
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Long tweezers help, and planting at an angle instead of straight down helps also (45 degrees), helps hold the plant down.
concepts88 is online now   Reply With Quote