Planted 2g Fluval Spec w/Dario Dario
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 10-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Planted 2g Fluval Spec w/Dario Dario

So to start I already have a Planted 14g BioCube on another thread and I bought a 2g Fluval Spec as a hospital tank. However if I decided to use this as a bookshelf tank.

Tank: 2g Fluval Spec (Stock), 25w Heater, temp strip, 40%-50% water changes weekly (including Flourish Excel & Comprehensive Supplement).

Flaura: I planted my Spec with low light plants, Anubias Petite Nana (turned out to not be Petite Nana but some other variant), Java Fern, Frogbit, Trident Java Fern, and a few others I can't remember their names right now, sorry. I had just plain black aquarium gravel and a piece of drift wood as well.

Fauna: I started with a few Ramshorn snails to clean the tank but then added three RCS to grow the population. However, after a few months I decided I really wanted to try my hand at the one fish that wouldn't work in my bigger tank, Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario).

These fish do better by themselves and I should have just gone with one according to those who know better than I but I already bought two today a male and female (or at least I hope as they are julenives and I can't tell yet). It would be my goal to bread them for fun but if they turn out to be two males I figure that out later. Also two males in this small tank wouldn't be ideal for sure!

Feeding: I will feed them dry brine flake (this is what the LFS feed them), Frozen Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp, depending on what they like. Hopefully I won't have to use live worms but will do it if need be.

Anyway here are the pics so far...

The tank on the bookshelf:

Closer up:

Dario Dario:

SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
kelsnels92
Algae Grower

So weird! I just bought a Spec myself and was considering the Scarlet Badis! Definitely will be keeping an eye on this.

Are you dosing with CO2 and still using the stock light? I'm considering upgrading to a higher powered light that would be better for a wider range of plants.
kelsnels92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsnels92 View Post
So weird! I just bought a Spec myself and was considering the Scarlet Badis! Definitely will be keeping an eye on this.

Are you dosing with CO2 and still using the stock light? I'm considering upgrading to a higher powered light that would be better for a wider range of plants.
My BioCube tank uses Natural CO2 and that works wonders but for this tank I'm taking the low light (stock LED's) and low tech approach. The plants do fine (have for months) and don't grow much which you want in a 2 gallon tank. I still feel I get the desired effect i'm looking for and it's VERY low maintenance which was important to me, especially on a second tank and one on a bookshelf.

Check out my BioCube thread (link in signature) to see my crazy growth with my natural CO2 tank.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #4
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm liking the driftwood with lush anubias growth, nice work
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Nice tank and fish

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
I'm liking the driftwood with lush anubias growth, nice work
Thanks, let me tell you that when you're buying Anubias Petite Nana there are a lot of mislabeled plants...online and at LFS. Out of the 10 plants I bought at varies times only 2 plants were the more rare petite nana variety. The others grew bigger and so some of those landed in this tank and it still looks good.

The driftwood was found and has been in my sunroom for years so I boiled it soaked it and now it has a proper home.

Cheers!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

UPDATE:

So it's been two weeks since I brought home my Dario Dario and up until today everything has been going great. The first two days I tried different flake foods and frozen Blood Worms and Brine Shrimp but they weren't too interested so I now have them on Miro-Worms and they have been eating great and looking healthy. I also have kept up with my weekly 50% water change. However, today I noticed a black spot one of their tails, the fish is acting fine but i'm not sure if it's a healing wound or a sign of something else?

So I'm looking for suggestions here. I could add a little salt to the water but first thought i'd look for some feedback first.

Here is a picture (the best I could get) of the spot...

Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
bat_billy
Algae Grower

Where did you purchase your Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)? I have been looking online for 2 of these fish and I cannot find anything.
bat_billy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_billy View Post
Where did you purchase your Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario)? I have been looking online for 2 of these fish and I cannot find anything.
I got mine at a local LFS (Seattle), however Rachel (http://msjinkzd.com/) who is a forum Sponsor does have them.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Update:

Thought it was time for an update.

Besides the plants growing like weeds everything is fine in this tank. Still no co2, and I just add a little excel & Flourish during weekly water changes. No much algae to speak off, and I have never had to clean the glass. The two Dario Dario are doing great and I just feed them the mircoworms. There is one Nerite snail with a few other MTS. I did have some CRS in the tank but decided to move them.

Picture coming soon...
Old 04-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #11
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Did they turn out to be both males?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

I believe so yes but not 100% sure, talking to people who breed them say they vary a lot. Someone local has about a dozen they are going to try and breed, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
jspk
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

The scarlet badis is so tiny. The pictures make the tank look enormous!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspk View Post
The scarlet badis is so tiny. The pictures make the tank look enormous!
I agree!

Since I think I have two males I want to put one in another tank and add a blue variety to go with the scarlet.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Rilly10
Algae Grower

Gorgeous tank! I love the Anubias on the driftwood!
Rilly10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.