Marcgravia species
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Marcgravia species

Hey guys,

I'm working on my 200 gallon Square tank, and I'm trying to create a distinct look on the driftwood. I've added some nice Tillandsia species, and am planning on adding a slow growing air fern and a few orchids. If possible, I would love to add some Marcgravia species onto my Manzy branches. Problem is that I can't find a good source!

Anyone here have a lead on some, or be able to recommend a good substitute? Broms probably wouldn't be a great choice due to the high lighting I have (or so I've been told).

Thanks for the help guys!
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Is this what you are looking for? https://blackjungleterrariumsupply.3....asp?#page-122
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, that link doesn't work as expected. Check their epiphytic ferns. Microgramma species i think is something like what you might be looking for
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Yes, there are some nice possibilities on that site! Thank you Bill! I appreciate the help. Would you set these types of epiphytes on manzanita branches using peat moss? Since I would get these plants established in pots, what would be the best way to put them on the manzanita?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the hints and education....this is a new arena for me, and I really need to make this look "natural" as well as artistic.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure about that species, i haven't worked with it and would rather not give you wrong info. My suggestion is get with the people at black jungle. They are good folk, i ordered from them before. They'll help you out.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

Thanks Bill! I will do that!

Don
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
mack23
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

i have a cut labeled "marcgravia sp." it is a creeping vine with small leaves which grow in a true shingling habit. similarly i have some lemmaphylum and microgramma, as well as several discidia.

i'm sure i could spare some cuts of these. you got anything you want to trade?
mack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
mack23
Algae Grower

and i do have a tip for planting. with the exception of TRUE extreme epiphytes (tillandsias, broms, twig orchids), plant all epiphytes IN YOUR SUBSTRATE, then train them up whatever wood or background you want them to cover. trying to root them directly onto the object is much more difficult.

once they are firmly attached to whatever they are growing on, you can cut away the bottom portion of the plant if you want it to look like it's just growing on the object.

you also want to note the difference in peat moss and sphagnum moss. sphagnum comes in a 'long fiber' form, and is therefore helpful for stuffing around the roots of epiphytes. peat moss is actually sphagnum which has broken down into small particles and looks like soil. you may want to use peat for substrate mix (i prefer coco fiber), but not so much for placing epiphytes.

Last edited by mack23; 10-25-2012 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: add note on peat.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
mack23
Algae Grower

one last thing. you mentioned too much light for broms? broms grow up in trees so that they can reach more light. most can take a lot of light. i would think you would cook whatever is in the viv with the heat of the lighing before you would over-light your broms....

i think cryptanthus are also really cool, and give a similar effect to having broms. they are a bit more versatile, in that they grow in substrate, as well as being tough enough to grow epiphytically with a little trial and error. they also grow more slowly and pup directly off the base of the stem.this becomes important so that you don't have to tear your viv up every time your carefully placed broms flower then shoot pups 8-15 inches away, then rot and die (leaving the spot you wanted the brom bare, while the new pups often shoot over to somewhere that you didn't want a brom).

Last edited by mack23; 10-25-2012 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: added bit about cryptanthus