Southeast Asian Nano Biotope.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-12-2015, 12:46 AM   #1
DizzyD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Southeast Asian Nano Biotope.

I'm planning a Southeast Asian Biotope and I'm going to try a tank Journal for it.

Originally I was going to use a JBJ Picotope tank, but I was afraid most of the LED light fixtures would be too much for it and I would be trimming too much because of the height, so I think I'm going to go with this Mr. Aqua 5.2 gallon Tranquil.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 5.2 gallon Tranquil
Light: Finnex Planted+ Cliplight
Filter: Aquaclear 20(possibly planted?)
Substrate: Mr. aqua/Flourite Black mix (Mr. aqua soil came free with the tank)
Livestock: Eventually a Betta

Plants:
Crypt Wenditii
Cryptocoryne Costata
Downoi
Dwarf Hairgrass
Java moss
Rotala Indica
Tiger Lotus

I'm pretty sure most of these plants are found in Thailand and or surrounding areas. The one I'm not sure about is the Dwarf Hairgrass. I found conflicting info during my research. I also thought about a floating plant if the light is too much, Someone told me Hygroryza aristata is from Southeast Asia, so that is a possibility.

I was also considering a planted filter. Not sure of plants from Southeast asia that can grow partially submerged though. I'll have to do some more research.

I've got most of this stuff ordered so I should get to put it together, next week some time and I'll get some pictures up when I do get it up.
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

You could probably grow the Crypt hydroponically. And I would thing the lily as well. There are also many terrestrial plants from SEAsia you can buy at your nurseries or, big box stores that will grow well with their roots submerged.
HDBenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Thats good info. I believe the Light should be here today and I cleaned up an existing Aquaclear 20 I had. I'm going to try to set up the tank and start it cycling today. I wont have all the plants until next week but I have some Java moss and I was planning on getting the Dwarf HG from my local fish store. I'll try to get some pics up tonight.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome! I was the one who suggested the Hygroryza. PM member JuneBug. She might have some Hygroryza left for sale. The Rotala, DHG, and lily will apresiate brighter light so get the best you can find. Then if necessary use floaters or a screen of some kind over the tank for light diffusion. Good luck and excited to see this tank up and running!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #5
taitertot
Algae Grower

I thought c wendtii was endemic to sri lanka, I'm not sure about the others. For dwarf hairgrass eleocharis acicularis, iucn says it is native to thailand and that's where I go for most geographic distributions. Java fern is native to a wide range including that area and I think i heard that it did alright partially submerged, but I haven't tried growing it like that so I don't know for sure.
taitertot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #6
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitertot View Post
I thought c wendtii was endemic to sri lanka...
I think your right on the wendtii. That sucks, I ordered both green and red varieties. Good thing I set up that spare tank for a grow out. I'll put it in there until I get that 40 breeder set up for my CPDs.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:22 AM   #7
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Ok, I'm gonna try to embed some pictures. Its been a while since I've done this so bare with me.

Here is a picture of the equipment. I used Black craft board for the back, although I saw a tank with a cheap dollar store mirror on the back the other day and I might try to do that if I can find one.

Here is the Tank filled with the heater I forgot to put in before the last pic. I added the dwarf hair grass I picked up at the local store and some Java moss I had in another tank. The rest of the plants should be here next week but I couldn't wait to get this thing set up. I'm hoping the Dwarf HG will carpet the front area and I'm expecting to add the Rotala indica to the rear left. I'm thinking the Tiger lily right under the filter and finally the crypts and Downoi in the middle area.
I guess you can't really see behind the driftwood to well in this picture. Sorry for that. I'll get some more when the other plants come in.

I'm sure someone has "planted" java moss this way, but I've never scene it. It was growing on the bottom of one of my other tanks and when I went to collect it, it was holding on to some of the eco complete. I just left it on there and used that to weight it down. The drift wood I used had some holes so I just put them in there. Its not tied down at all. I'm hoping it is weighted down enough to attach itself to the drift wood and I wont have to worry about it floating around the tank.

And finally as a bonus:

I had some left over dwarf hair grass and this Betta bowl cookie jar needed some TLC, so I took everything out, Cleaned the glass and substrate really well and replanted it. It has Java fern and some rotala indica that was in it previously so its kinda a Southasian biotope as well. I'm not sure the Dwarf Hair grass will do well in this tank because it is very low tech with only a 20w 5000k CFL bulb, but we'll see.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:18 AM   #8
taitertot
Algae Grower

I love the shape of that tank it's awesome. And it's funny I've actually done that with loose java fern in my grow out, it attaches to the small black aquarium rocks then I can set them anywhere I want. I don't know if your already planning on this but I would narrow it down from south east asia to thailand or something. Biotopes are more about specific habitats in specific watersheds or countries, where as when it's a region like Amazon or south east Asia it's more a theme aquarium.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:00 AM   #9
HDBenson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'd take out that sponge and just leave the top open. The sponge will drive off any co2 in there. Then you will be able to add other plants to the jar. Like some of the crypt later on. You might run into an algae problem in that thing. That's a lot of light for no ferts/injected co2.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:34 AM   #10
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by taitertot View Post
I love the shape of that tank it's awesome. And it's funny I've actually done that with loose java fern in my grow out, it attaches to the small black aquarium rocks then I can set them anywhere I want. I don't know if your already planning on this but I would narrow it down from south east asia to thailand or something. Biotopes are more about specific habitats in specific watersheds or countries, where as when it's a region like Amazon or south east Asia it's more a theme aquarium.
Yeah, Originally I was going to try that, But I started looking at some other tanks that were Betta habitats, and I didn't want to do the leaf bottom, no movement, dark water thing. I might try a Indian almond leaf in the filter but I don't want the water too dark. You mentioned earlier the Wendtii not being native to Thailand, but confirmed Dwarf Hair grass as found in Thailand. The only other plant I'm not sure is native to Thailand is the Cryptocoryne Costata (also found it labeled as Cryptocoryne albida). I coundn't find a specific origin, just Southeast Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
I'd take out that sponge and just leave the top open. The sponge will drive off any co2 in there. Then you will be able to add other plants to the jar. Like some of the crypt later on. You might run into an algae problem in that thing. That's a lot of light for no ferts/injected co2.
Algae problem in which one? The Cookie jar has been set up for almost a year without any algae. Honestly I'm not sure why. Both of these tanks are on the same timer and are on for about 8.5 hours a day(4 hours on, 3 hours off, 4.5 hours on) I did get a little algae in the 3 gallon Picotope I had set up before I swapped it out for the 5 gallon. But it wasn't bad. Just a little bit of green on a few rocks I had in there.
I like the idea of removing the sponge filter to fit more plants. I actually considered that, but I'm worried about the lack of water movement. Another factor is I would have to do more water changes and I have to buy spring water for these 2 tanks. I'm on well water and bettas don't do well in hard water. Plus without the top, you don't really get the cookie jar effect.
I am worried about algae in the 5 gallon. Hopefully the other plants get here and planted before it gets too bad.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'm still so excited about this tank. and I really like the input and encouragement!
Old 02-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
taitertot
Algae Grower

There's plenty of clearwater habitats in south east asia. I looked up your plants with iucn, and a couple other things
c. Albida/costata- Laos, Myanmar, thailand, found in channels and margins of small streams
Downoi- thailand, myanmar, river Kwai
dwarf hairgrass- basically all south east asia and the world, numerous habitats
java moss- all over south east asia didn't really have to look that up
rotala indica-all over south east asia habitat is swamps and paddy fields
tiger lotus- all over south east asia, as well as africa, I guess it's on some thailand province seals so it's definitely there.
All in all, I would just go with calling it myanmar or a thailand biotope because everything you have would fit.
If you want fish and you went myanmar you could do a cpd biotope, I think you said you have some but I'm to tired to re-read the thread.
In Thailand there's a few rasboras that might live in clearwater. A really cool biotope I have never seen would be a true Krabi thailand biotope, the water is clear and blue i think because of the limestone, some of the pictures I saw had patches with plants. Fish for Krabi would be betta simplex (I have no idea where one of those could be found), and espei/lambchop rasbora.
And if it were me I would add malaysian trumpet snails but some people don't like those. I also am not sure about stocking and size for the fish I suggested, just random ideas.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #12
DizzyD
Algae Grower

I might be doing a cpd biotope in the near future. CPDs are one of my favorites. I've got 6 CPDs in a 20 long with crystal red shrimp and some corydoras. I'm planning to swap the 20 long tank out with a 40 gallon breeder and doing a CPD species tank in that, So that would be the perfect opportunity to do a CPD biotope. I'm hoping to get about 10 - 15 more CPDs and I'm hoping I can get some breeding done. They are expensive little guys. The tank I have is pretty heavily planted but I haven't scene any fry. I'm assuming the CPDs, shrimp and corys have been eating up all the eggs. So I might try breeding them in a 5 gallon and using the 40 breeder as the frys final home.

Maybe I'll start another thread when I start that project up. I'll definitely need some help finding the plants in the Burma Mountains.

What is this ICUN plant database you are looking your plants up on. I've been looking for a reliable database. I googled ICUN and found a home page. I tried searching for plants using their site search but Didn't come up with anything.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:41 PM   #13
taitertot
Algae Grower

International union for conservation of nature. It's all living things, and they have the best distribution and maps, practically everything cites them. They are the ones who say if somethings endangered or not. I just write "genus species iucn" and search it.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #14
DizzyD
Algae Grower

Worried and bummed about the plants I ordered. The seller shipped them on Saturday and of course we are supposed to get 8" of snow tonight.

Cross your fingers for me and hope that they get here ok.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #15
taitertot
Algae Grower

Did the plants show up all right? it's been hard to get stuff up here lately, it hasn't hit zero all that much, -15 right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.