Tortoise ID?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Tortoise ID?

So i won't be able to get a pic until next weekend, but i was wondering if anybody had ever heard of a species of tortoise that stays relatively small? His name is Bart and he's roughly 30-35 years old and about the size of an average man's fist. No distinct markings, just straight brown/olive green. I'll work on getting pics for some help on the ID.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

maybe russian tort. they stay pretty small and are generally unremarkable in coloration. if I was to try and describe them better i would say that if you view one from the top then their shell would appear very circular compared to most other torts that have more of an oblong shell. From the side their shell is not as domed.

do a google search and let us know
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Cilenez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

30-35 yrs old, size of a man's fist... sounds like a box turtle.. does he have a hinge on his plastron (belly)..? if no hinge, then a small russian..

box turtles and tortoises are my specialty
Cilenez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

No hinge and the circular from above description is spot on. Wow thanks! My mom's had him since before i was born. Said the guy at the pet store had to get rid of it because of size restrictions or something. Don't know the whole story.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.