Brass CO2 fitting stuck
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
sh55
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Unhappy

Brass CO2 fitting stuck

I have a GLA CO2 system and I recently bought a 2 way needle valve splitter in order to run CO2 to another tank.

My issue is that I can not separate the current needle valve fitting from the solenoid in order to install the new splitter.

The solenoid housing appears to be aluminum and the fitting is brass. There is some white stuff I assume is some sort of lock tight or Teflon goo in the threads, and even when I use 2 wrenches with counteracting force I can't get it to budge.

Any tricks here? Am I doing something wrong?
sh55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

In this case, the only "trick" is brute force. Thread sealant is the likely culprit. Do you have access to a bench vise? If not, the longer the wrenches, the better.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
sh55
Algae Grower

Unfortunately I don't have a vice, but more leverage may help. My only fear is that I apply too much force and destroy the corners on the fitting (already starting to get a little mushed)
Old 10-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

try 2 wrenches and possible hand clamp one of the wrench to a sold surface and twist with the other wrench. Wrench with long handle will made it easier.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

I think at some point, Orlando started to use an epoxy to seal his stuff up. You might want to contact gla and find out exactly what you're up against. In any case, you probably just need to use more force. I have yet to find a fitting I couldn't remove by just using brute force. You may need need to use a vise to hold onto the solenoid.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
C.Barb.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Most likely your gonna have to use two channel lock type wrenches with teeth . The fitting will get boogered up but you don't really have a choice . You can go back later with a file and clean in up so it looks better .
C.Barb. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Do you have a propane torch handy? When you heat one item but not the other it will swell just a bit, This will often break the bond. It does take some judgement of how much to heat if things are not strong to begin with. Heat slightly , tap it and then try the wrenchs. For really small items like this a lighter or stove burner might get it done. I would not recommend heating the solenoid.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
dmifflin
Algae Grower

i second the heat thing ,i worked in an engine shop and thats how we got things apart.even a lighter or bbq starter give some ok heat.
the other option is to leave the valve full open and put the manifold on the end of it .just leave it in line with the new stuff .

just a sugestion
dmifflin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #9
rabidsquirrel
Algae Grower

What you're looking for is a pair of Flair nut wrenches. They're designed to not mess up the corners of fittings.
rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
sh55
Algae Grower

Hmmm I do have a butane lighter type torch for cigars. I don't want to heat the solenoid, but the solenoid is the female part. Would it make sense to heat the male brass fitting or would that defeat the purpose?

The white lock tight stuff is not hard, I don't think it's epoxy, however upon inspecting the split manifold I got from GLA it is definitely glued together with epoxy.

The lock tight stuff is like a grease and I can scrape a little off with my fingernail. It looks like Teflon tape (white) but its creamy/greasy.

I was using a channel lock wrench and it didn't happen for me. I don't care if I ruin the fitting because I'm going to replace it anyways, just worried I'd strip it and not be able to get a grip on it anymore.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
dmifflin
Algae Grower

heat it all a bit then spray compressed air on male fitting.it will shrink and leave female fitting same size.
dmifflin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Action53
Algae Grower

You need to heat the female part, if you heat the male side it'll swell up inside the female part and get more stuck
Action53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
sh55
Algae Grower

Victory at last! Heated both and cooled the male part with an upside down duster can.

Wow, I've worked on cars for years but never met anything this stubborn.

Thanks dmifflin!
Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Good deal! I was just a bit timid about saying to heat the solenoid with it maybe having a plastic/rubber gizmo diaphragm.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.