Manik's planted 40b "Midnite" PIC UPDATE 2 months after planting - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
manik
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
that driftwood really is nice
I'll see what I can do Andrew. Going out of town this weekend. May be a minute before I go on a hunt
manik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
manik
Algae Grower

Alright folks... need your thoughts on this one. I've got my plants coming in soon, I've seen threads on various sites saying that it's possible to soak the plants in a bleach solution (to get rid of algae, snails?) I don't know how to feel about this... I don't like algae, that's for sure... especially when it's from someone else tank into mine... it's like catching a cold. What are your thoughts on this practice? Necessary, critical?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

*ears perked for the response* I've also heard of using Potassium Permanganate (Jungle Clear Water is purely this stuff) but I'm in the same boat as you are!

BEAUTIFUL set up though, been lurking silently as it's grown :]
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #19
manik
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post
*ears perked for the response* I've also heard of using Potassium Permanganate (Jungle Clear Water is purely this stuff) but I'm in the same boat as you are!

Thank you! I've heard of the potassium permanganate before. I tried conning a pharmacist into give me some... that didn't work out too well . So we shall wait... and bump until someone answers.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 AM   #20
manik
Algae Grower

Default First Parameters taken

Anyone have thoughts on the above post?

Regarding the tank...
I did fix the gurgling sound coming from the overflow. Cost me $1 of vinyl tubing. In the end, I just had to simplify the system a bit. Took two 90's out of the tube to the sump, straightened it and the gurgling is gone... (it's nice and peaceful now)

Parameters
10.24.12 (Tank started 10.22)

I haven't done a water change since the tank was filled. I think I'm going to take out 5 gallons tonight and replace it.

Temp 78f
Ph 7.6 (no C02 yet)
Gh 3 deg
Kh 2 deg
NH4 0ppm
NO2 0ppm
NO3 10ppm
PO4 .5ppm

I'm not sure what to think about the N03 being at 10 already. The tank shouldn't be cycled (although I did add a small bottle of Tetra Safe for sh!+s and giggles). I think this reading could be due to the MTS, possible nitrate leaching into the H20... or from the driftwood? That's all I can think of... I'm using RODI H20, so it's not from the H20. Any
thoughts? (Otherwise those numbers seem pretty great... I would be happier with a slightly lower Ph to start )

40B Journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...54#post2050954
Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
manik
Algae Grower

Default Green stuff!

Plants came in! Super healthy looking

I'm planting as you read this (hopefully you're reading this when I'm planting)

AND.... TYING MOSS IS A PITA!

just sayin...

pics to come

40B Journal
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 AM   #22
manik
Algae Grower

Default The good are in

Planted...

the pics are a little dark, I lowered the contrast on the shots. And now... time to learn to dose EI
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brom tpt.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	56203  

Name:	Planted tpt.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	56204  

Name:	The goods tpt.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	56205  

Name:	close tpt.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	56206  

40B Journal
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #23
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

GREAT START!!!

Love the drift wood too! I bet it is going to look awesome when the plants fill in!!!

I have never seen a overflow like that before, but I haven't used a sump in 10+ years. The only negative I see in the whole thing is the water level in the tank! It doesn't give you ANY ROOM for error! But again with not understanding how your overflow works it may be just fine!

I think the stand looks very nice as well!

Subscribed!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #24
manik
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
GREAT START!!!

Love the drift wood too! I bet it is going to look awesome when the plants fill in!!!

I have never seen a overflow like that before, but I haven't used a sump in 10+ years. The only negative I see in the whole thing is the water level in the tank! It doesn't give you ANY ROOM for error! But again with not understanding how your overflow works it may be just fine!

I think the stand looks very nice as well!

Subscribed!
Drew
Thanks Drew! I'm stoked.

This overflow is something I picked up for my 20L marine tank, saw it online for a DIY overflow and tried it out. The one on the marine tank works like a charm. Power goes out, it'll start back up no problem. I hooked it up to a circ pump to keep it constantly primed, so it doesn't fail anymore. The one in this 40b has been a bit trickier to figure out. I definitely had a couple "UH OH!" moments finding the balance with the return. I've had the siphon quit cause I didn't have it tweeked right. I have the problem fixed now.... and need to play with the design, as I don't think it'll start back up if the power goes out... luckily my canister doesn't prime either, so I don't have to worry about that issue.

I worked out the H2O level in the display with what's in the sump to never allow it to overflow the display, as the intake for the filter will run out of water and suck air before that (siphon fails). If the if the power goes out, then the level of water able to pull out of the display will never exceed the sumps capabilities either. It also has the auto top off, which ensures the sump won't run dry do to evaporation. (see pic)

Next tank... I just need to get the cahunas to drill the tank, skip the trouble of the what ifs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sump 2 tpt.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	56239  

40B Journal
Old 11-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #25
manik
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post

We never got a single reply Bird, bummer

40B Journal
Old 11-02-2012, 04:14 AM   #26
manik
Algae Grower

Default Got a drop checker question

I've run my CO2 for a couple of days now. I made a 4Dkh solution, installed the DC with the solution and about 2 drops of the Ph solution. After 8 hours of CO2 at about 2bps (which, btw is really difficult to count two different timings at the same time ) I'm still not seeing ANY change in the color of the solution. It's as blue as this fish ->

What's going wrong?
Can I verify the 4dkh with my KH test kit (n0ob question)
Would the Ph solution be inaccurate if it was old, about 2 years?

I'm going to bump up the bps for a few days (cause there's no livestock yet) and see if that helps.

Any other thoughts on why it's not registering?

40B Journal
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #27
farrenator
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

From what I have seen of others who run a sump + CO2, they recommend sealing the sump to minimize off gassing the CO2. Something along the lines of a lid over the sump, taped shut. You want to minimize splashing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manik View Post
I've run my CO2 for a couple of days now. I made a 4Dkh solution, installed the DC with the solution and about 2 drops of the Ph solution. After 8 hours of CO2 at about 2bps (which, btw is really difficult to count two different timings at the same time ) I'm still not seeing ANY change in the color of the solution. It's as blue as this fish ->

What's going wrong?
Can I verify the 4dkh with my KH test kit (n0ob question)
Would the Ph solution be inaccurate if it was old, about 2 years?

I'm going to bump up the bps for a few days (cause there's no livestock yet) and see if that helps.

Any other thoughts on why it's not registering?
farrenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
manik
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
From what I have seen of others who run a sump + CO2, they recommend sealing the sump to minimize off gassing the CO2. Something along the lines of a lid over the sump, taped shut. You want to minimize splashing as well.
So, the co2 builds up in the water column, or saturates over the duration of the day. Interesting, I just happen to have an old piece of acrylic I could use, but sealing the float valve (stem and ball) could be tricky. Anyone run into that before? (diy forum, here I come!)

40B Journal
Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #29
manik
Algae Grower

Did a 10 gal water change today. Created a lid for the sump to try an keep some of the CO2 in the water. I'm not sure how well it's going to work. It's difficult to try and seal the tubes and wires going into the sump... we'll see.

Today's Parameters

Ph. 6.4
Gh 3
Kh 2
Ammonia 1 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 ppm (after a dose)

Apparently, the tank is starting to cycle... still waiting to see the nitrite spike happen. But at least there's ammonia.

All the plants are looking good. The HC is branching out a little bit, showing signs of growth. The Luminaria's old growth melted a little bit, but has a good centimeter of growth on the top (and it's growing in pink). The bromeliad on top is looking good too, new growth coming in is a reddish tint. (Not sure if that's a good thing or not)

40B Journal
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
Kratos
Algae Grower

Very nice driftwood and setup!
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote