Anyone keep cichlids outside or any tropicals outside?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hello

Do you keep them out all yr long?

I keep a pair of Dempseys which breed non stop all spring summer and pair of fire mouths in another 70 gallon rubbermaid but I bring them in mid Nov to late March (more or less).

Other tropicals like platys which stay out all yr long in buried pvc ponds and thrive.

I am in Miami.

Here is pic of F Dempsey guarding eggs which are laid by side of trough and outside of trough. I removed some water for this pic to get better shot.
I do not use filter but siphon out 25% of water every couple days for plants and add dechlorinated water.

Male is big and will post pics when they come in for winter 75 gallon tank but they prefer it outside , his colors become amazing .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dempsey and eggs.jpg (109.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Dempsey trough.jpg (180.3 KB, 11 views)
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

I'm not sure about this, but wow thats a good sized fish Being in Miami you really don't have a freeze threat (unless it's a complete freak accident)

If you don't get any responses you could always try to see how they handle November and if they do well try December and pull them at the first sign that they aren't happy campers?
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I am from Miami also and do keep tropicals outside, when it gets too cold I drop a heater on my pond
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fplata View Post
I am from Miami also and do keep tropicals outside, when it gets too cold I drop a heater on my pond

Thanks, We had an unusually cold week with night temps dropping to mid to high 50s and days maybe high 70s and I did just that as decided to leave them out all year.

Now it is back to normal with night temps high 60s and going to get warmer.

I decided that unless freak cold will leave them out as male esp loves it outside.

What tropicals do you keep?
Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #5
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
I'm not sure about this, but wow thats a good sized fish Being in Miami you really don't have a freeze threat (unless it's a complete freak accident)

If you don't get any responses you could always try to see how they handle November and if they do well try December and pull them at the first sign that they aren't happy campers?

Dec as of now looks like it is going to be warmer than Nov, lol go figure
Old 11-27-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Dec as of now looks like it is going to be warmer than Nov, lol go figure
It's been an odd winter so far
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
It's been an odd winter so far

Yes it has. I am off from work tomorrow and was just in the yard looking at some stuff and warm and nice outside.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
dzenifr

PTrader: (0/0%)

There's a landscaper out in the Redlands that has cichlids in ponds and such outside at the business site. One of the guys that works there does the fish and that sort of thing, while the guy who owns (?) it does the landscaping plants and such. They don't seem to have issues with them dying, and with the giant hole in the ground/pond they have some of the fish in, I don't think they take them out in the winter.
dzenifr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenifr View Post
There's a landscaper out in the Redlands that has cichlids in ponds and such outside at the business site. One of the guys that works there does the fish and that sort of thing, while the guy who owns (?) it does the landscaping plants and such. They don't seem to have issues with them dying, and with the giant hole in the ground/pond they have some of the fish in, I don't think they take them out in the winter.

Thanks I hate bringing them in because as you know you get a cold night or two than back to high 60s nights and low 80s days.

Tonight it is freak cold like 50 something degrees but than goes back up come sunday to high 60s at night.

I just put heaters in and set them at 68 lowest setting but if long term cold like we had few yrs back than will bring inside.

Have to say it is bit funny looking at set up empty tanks in garage but better safe than sorry and scuds and triops will have to suffice lol.Hyalella azteca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.