Black sand options in Canada
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Black sand options in Canada

I currently have black flourite capped with a light gravel in my tank that is cycling (no fishies yet). I've been humming and hawing, and made a bad unplanned attempt at removing the gravel. But I have decided the yes, I want to remove the gravel (before things get too settled in), and I want to recap with black sand. I was thinking flourite black sand, but that's another $30. I'm just wondering if there are any other less expensive black sand options? I've heard of black blasting grit, but I'm not sure where I'd source that in Canada. I'm planning on doing this on Friday, so I need to find something before then.

Any suggestions? If I can't find anything else, I'm fine with the flourite, but it seems every time I turn around I'm spending another $30
tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Big Al's sells Tahitian black sand, not sure if you have a local store in your area. Capping with black sand though, all that is going to happen is the sand is going to makes it way down through the fluorite and settle on the bottom eventually.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmm, that's a good point. I wonder how long that would take? If it was a year or two, that would be fine, I get the itch to change things up by then. But if it was within a couple months, then I wouldn't bother. I'd just get another bag of Flourite Black then. Thanks for the tip about Big Als, they're a bit further down the road then the LFS I usually go to, but not too far.

I also found this stuff online at my lfs. Not sure I like the look of it quite as much though, but I can get it in 5lb bags which is nice. I wouldn't need all 7kg of the Flourite.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

That bag of black substrate is a good option especially if you don't want a big bag. I've used ExoTerra black sand in a tank as well. Comes in about the same size bag.

Alternatively... Sil industries or Burnco should have black beauty or something similar, although you'll be getting that in much larger quantities, but cheaper than that little bag.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
exv152
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

While you're going to BAs also check out seachem onyx black sand, it has a decent amount nutrients in it for plants, and looks very nice. I've used this before and my cories loved it. http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod.../OnyxSand.html
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Creekbottom. I think I'll skip the hunting down other options. My time is limited and its not worth driving around the city to save $10 (or whatever it might be). I'm not filling the tank, just topping off the substrate. But I'm glad to hear you did okay with the Exoterra sand.

Thanks exv152! I can't see the difference between Seachem Onyx Sand and Seachem Flourite Black Sand. Is it just a colour difference? Or is it more then that? I already have flourite black as a base, so I'm not sure its worth the extra nutrients to cap it too. Now if they sold half size bags...