callisto9's 20G high planted tank - low tech - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #46
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I prefer the Kuhli Loaches over the Corydoras. They do not dart around the tank spastically or run into things. My corys were the same as yours. They were cute I must admit with the little fat bodies. They seem to me to be the hobbits of the fish world LOL! I do like the Bandit Corydoras. I had them mixed with Julies and a couple others (can't recall at the moment) and the Bandits were quite different than the others. They did not freak out during water changes or run over eachother, decor and other fish. So, if I ever decided to get them again, I would definetely go with Bandits.

I never saw the Kuhli Loaches before the rescape, infact I thought they all died, but after the DW, plants and lake rocks went in, they are never in hiding! It's aawesome!!!! They swim all over the place and it's adorable the way their bodies are diagonal and they swoop up and down. Fascinating. I have 7 of them right now, and plan to up the numbers to 10 or 12. They are great at wriggling in tight places to get food that escaped the other fish.

Juicy Fruit is gorgeous! Glad the star of the tank is doing so well That's great! Is he sociable with you? I imagine Gouramis to be like Bettas in that respect.

I have the same problem with the ramshorn snails. I made an attempt to irraticate them during the rescape. I don't know if I succeeded or not, but I haven't seen one in 2 weeks now. Promising. I used to see them every morning. I do have a ton of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. And some pond snails. I don't mind the pond snails though. They do not explode in numbers like the Ramshorn did. I never killed the snails. Couldn't do it. So, I put them in the QT when I catch them. I've taken 4 quart sized bags full of Ramshorns to the LFS. In the QT I put a total of 20 in there. I feed them only every 2 weeks by dropping in some blanched cucumber, spinich and lettuce. I also give them some meaty pellets. Not a lot of food ever though. Just enough. And still, their numbers exploded! So, I strongly believe it is a myth that their numbers will only explode if a person is overfeeding the fish. My QT can attest to that!

I had thought about adding a single baby Assissin snail to the big tank. They will also mulitply. Some say not as fast as other snails, but others have said they have tons raqther quickly. Once they eat all the other snails, they die. Gross. That is not what I want to happen in my tank. I also thought about adding 3-4 Yoyo Loaches, but unfortuantely read they will nip my Angels fins. So, no on them!

I will just have to pick the MTS's out as I see them I guess to keep their numbers in check. Sigh

I watched you fry video. So cute! What will you do with them? You should see if your LFS will buy them from you or give store credit for fish food or something. That's be cool. Also, you should see if the LFS will trade the corys for something else or store credit. Worth a shot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #47
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ooo...hope you don't mind the book I wrote ya!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:11 AM   #48
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Awww, the fry are so tiiiiiiny! Nice little home you've made for them with the floaters on top.

Those corys would bug me too. "bumping into themselves..." lol I don't care for anything that disrupts the rhythm of the tank, or is aggressive. If you've done a lot of business with the fish store that you purchased them from, I'd imagine that they'll most likely give you a full credit for the return. They might just want a separate sample of the tank water to test parameters. Fish not meshing is usually a valid reason for returns.

Thanks for the tips on pictures. Didn't think about the other lighting in the room... will try fully closing the blinds and turning off the room light and see if that helps with the reflection. btw, I seriously thought part of your job included taking pictures for some reason. Not sure where I got that impression from... ? maybe it's THE AMAZING PHOTOS THAT YOU ALWAYS POST. eg. nigel in places. If you're taking those with a phone, that is an incredible phone camera... mine is total crap. I blame dropping it numerous times.

I'll check out the other blog. It's always nice just to share in the joy over having fish. (being the rest of my family think I'm nuts!)

ps- Amanda, khuli loaches are one of my favorite fish. If I wasn't trying to grow hc, they'd be in my current tank.

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:13 AM   #49
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

WAIT! I posted a long response to Amanda's post and it's gone!!! NOOOOOO!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #50
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post

ps- Amanda, khuli loaches are one of my favorite fish. If I wasn't trying to grow hc, they'd be in my current tank.
They are awesome! Will you get some when your HC grows in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
WAIT! I posted a long response to Amanda's post and it's gone!!! NOOOOOO!!!
Oh no! That's terrible! That same thing happened to me tonight when I was posting pics! I had 20 or so and then my daughter bumped me and POOF! Gone!
I know this is not funny that you lost your post, but I must tell you that again, your cat avatar says "noooooooo" for you when you posted that! I hear the cat LOL!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #51
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
They are awesome! Will you get some when your HC grows in?
I'm tempted as I think they'd do better at cleaning in the grassy areas where the cories don't seem to want to go. But, the cories would have to find a new home as there is probably not enough room to have both.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #52
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandas tank View Post
I prefer the Kuhli Loaches over the Corydoras. They do not dart around the tank spastically or run into things. My corys were the same as yours. They were cute I must admit with the little fat bodies. They seem to me to be the hobbits of the fish world LOL! I do like the Bandit Corydoras. I had them mixed with Julies and a couple others (can't recall at the moment) and the Bandits were quite different than the others. They did not freak out during water changes or run over eachother, decor and other fish. So, if I ever decided to get them again, I would definetely go with Bandits.

Juicy Fruit is gorgeous! Glad the star of the tank is doing so well That's great! Is he sociable with you? I imagine Gouramis to be like Bettas in that respect.

I have the same problem with the ramshorn snails. I made an attempt to irraticate them during the rescape. I don't know if I succeeded or not, but I haven't seen one in 2 weeks now. Promising. I used to see them every morning. I do have a ton of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. And some pond snails. I don't mind the pond snails though. They do not explode in numbers like the Ramshorn did. I never killed the snails. Couldn't do it. So, I put them in the QT when I catch them. I've taken 4 quart sized bags full of Ramshorns to the LFS. In the QT I put a total of 20 in there. I feed them only every 2 weeks by dropping in some blanched cucumber, spinich and lettuce. I also give them some meaty pellets. Not a lot of food ever though. Just enough. And still, their numbers exploded! So, I strongly believe it is a myth that their numbers will only explode if a person is overfeeding the fish. My QT can attest to that!

I had thought about adding a single baby Assissin snail to the big tank. They will also mulitply. Some say not as fast as other snails, but others have said they have tons raqther quickly. Once they eat all the other snails, they die. Gross. That is not what I want to happen in my tank. I also thought about adding 3-4 Yoyo Loaches, but unfortuantely read they will nip my Angels fins. So, no on them!

I will just have to pick the MTS's out as I see them I guess to keep their numbers in check. Sigh

I watched you fry video. So cute! What will you do with them? You should see if your LFS will buy them from you or give store credit for fish food or something. That's be cool. Also, you should see if the LFS will trade the corys for something else or store credit. Worth a shot!
Alright, going to try this again!

I see that khuli loaches need to be in groups of five or more. *sigh* My bioload can't handle that right now. I am intrigued though! Would they harm my apple snails though?

The cories are still really annoying me. I want them gone. I have messaged the LFS on Facebook about returning them, but no response yet.

Juicy Fruit the gourami does seem to have a little interest in me. He comes up to the front of the tank when I approach. I really like him a lot, but wow, I hear such horror stories about gouramis (aggression, illness).

As for the Japan Blue fry - they are doing great! I have about 9-10 in the fry net and two outside of it (can't catch them). All are doing well. I plan on selling them back to the LFS for store credit as my little 6.6 gallon tank can't hold 20 small adult guppies.

Thanks for writing!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #53
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Awww, the fry are so tiiiiiiny! Nice little home you've made for them with the floaters on top.

Those corys would bug me too. "bumping into themselves..." lol I don't care for anything that disrupts the rhythm of the tank, or is aggressive. If you've done a lot of business with the fish store that you purchased them from, I'd imagine that they'll most likely give you a full credit for the return. They might just want a separate sample of the tank water to test parameters. Fish not meshing is usually a valid reason for returns.

Thanks for the tips on pictures. Didn't think about the other lighting in the room... will try fully closing the blinds and turning off the room light and see if that helps with the reflection. btw, I seriously thought part of your job included taking pictures for some reason. Not sure where I got that impression from... ? maybe it's THE AMAZING PHOTOS THAT YOU ALWAYS POST. eg. nigel in places. If you're taking those with a phone, that is an incredible phone camera... mine is total crap. I blame dropping it numerous times.

I'll check out the other blog. It's always nice just to share in the joy over having fish. (being the rest of my family think I'm nuts!)
I love watching the guppy fry. So cute.

I do want to give back the cories... I feel bad, but I really don't like them. I've spent well over $200 with them, so I think they should accommodate.

I don't do photography professionally, but have always enjoyed taking pictures. Thanks for the compliment on my abilities! I have an iPhone 5 - though most iPhones take excellent pics. Also understanding and knowing how to use the auto-focus helps!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #54
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Kuhli Loaches don't touch snails. They are super peaceful and completely mind their business. They do the best in even larger groups around 8-10. It should be a fish on your list when you get a larger tank down the road. They are fabulous. I love mine now that I see them everyday!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #55
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
I love watching the guppy fry. So cute.

I do want to give back the cories... I feel bad, but I really don't like them. I've spent well over $200 with them, so I think they should accommodate.

I don't do photography professionally, but have always enjoyed taking pictures. Thanks for the compliment on my abilities! I have an iPhone 5 - though most iPhones take excellent pics. Also understanding and knowing how to use the auto-focus helps!
I know how you feel... it's good we feel committed to our fish, but then sometimes compatibility clashes make everyone in the tank stressed, and more prone to sickness. They'll find a good home, and you'll have a happy tank again!

Turning the lights in the room helped quite a bit on reducing the reflection. thanks again for the tip!

ps- I'd think you would be fine to add two khuli loaches. I know fish are said to be happier in larger numbers, but imho it seems like that is most true when they are among predators. Safety in numbers, and all. When they're in a peaceful community tank, I think it's reasonable to keep smaller numbers and still have happy fish. eg, we kept trios of tetras and rasboras in small tanks and they lived to full maturity, without illness majority of the time, and were fat and happy. I've also kept just two khulis together, and they seemed to do well too.

I believe another issue can be with having two males and one female, where a larger group can make a difference, but with just two it's either a pair, or pals.

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 11-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #56
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good point about being in a tank with potential predators. Maybe it's not the new scape that's brought the kuhlis out of hiding in my tank but the fact the crazy Puntius Denisonis are gone. They may have been precieved as predators the way they lurked through the plants and picked the substrate? Or actually, a more probable theory is this: the way the Puntius Denisonii were always panicing at the sight or sound of someone moving in the house. That very well may have kept the Kuhli's in hiding because it was a sign of danger.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #57
callisto9
Planted Member

Update on my tank!

All is well, for the most part. I have another snail that's not doing so well - seems to be going the same route as my first yellow apple snail. I have no idea what to do, nor what the culprit might be. I wonder if the it's Flourish Comprehensive or root tabs.

I re-homed the albino cory cats.

I moved over two male Japan Blue guppies and the blue fancy guppy that had his tail shredded. All are doing well.

I am still picking out ramshorns. Population is getting under control.

I'd love to add some kuhli loaches, but 1) I don't think they'd do well with the Eco Complete and 2) I'm nearly 100% stocked right now.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #58
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

He's a beauty!

Sorry to hear that another snail isn't doing well. If there's little alage in the tank, could they not be getting enough to eat? Do you add any algae wafers or steamed zucchini?

Glad the cories found a good home and all is well otherwise!

ps- I have two khulis in my nano tank and they are getting fat, seem to be doing fine. They hang together under the rock with the shrimps when the light is on, mostly. I personally think you can have less than in a large group, and have had them in pairs many times... if you want to try them down the road, I'd say go for it!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #59
callisto9
Planted Member

I have not been adding algae wafers... I have since moved them out of the 20G tank into a spare jar until I figure this out. I do kinda over-feed, so I assumed there was food at the bottom. Even with algae wafers, the fish would eat those up before a snail could get to it anyway. I'm pretty sure the brown one isn't going to make it.

I am happy to have the cories gone. I do want a few kuhli loaches, but only 2-3. I want the banded ones, but can't seem to find anything besides the black ones around here.

Here's some pics from yesterday:

Old 01-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #60
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, the fish are looking so colorful! I really love the coloring of your dwarf gourami... he's just beautiful. Is the Goby(?) aggressive at all?

I believe snails just eat algae/some plants, so I'm not sure they would feed on flake food. Maybe try a slice of steamed zucchini... I hear snails like those too. My shrimp love 'em!

my little eden

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl