callisto9's 20G high planted tank - low tech - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 AM   #31
Wannaberooted
Green is good

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your aquarium really looks nice. I've got some algae now too, it could have sprung up when I was doing a bunch of water changes trying to keep my Gourami alive. It isn't spreading really, I'm keeping an eye on it before I do anything. The snails are getting bigger now though.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #32
callisto9
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannaberooted View Post
Your aquarium really looks nice. I've got some algae now too, it could have sprung up when I was doing a bunch of water changes trying to keep my Gourami alive. It isn't spreading really, I'm keeping an eye on it before I do anything. The snails are getting bigger now though.
Thanks. I also got this little guy yesterday. He's in the QT tank. PetSmart had them on sale, so I had to try...

How is your gourami?
Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #33
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I love gouramis! They like to watch u back

Did u just get the one?

Your tank is looking great

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #34
callisto9
Planted Member

Yes, just the one. He's so beautiful.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 AM   #35
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Nice looking gourami!!! Congrats!
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #36
Wannaberooted
Green is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisto9 View Post
Thanks. I also got this little guy yesterday. He's in the QT tank. PetSmart had them on sale, so I had to try...

How is your gourami?
Unfortunately he didn't make it. I'm not sure if it was DGD or not, but if it was, it is in my tank now. No one seems to know how long it will linger there, so I won't be getting another one. Too bad, because they are great fish. I don't know what I'm going to replace him with. I hope you have better luck, he'll be watching you as much as you watch him.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #37
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ahhh that's to bad wannaberooted. Sorry.
Amandas tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 AM   #38
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
Unfortunately he didn't make it. I'm not sure if it was DGD or not, but if it was, it is in my tank now. No one seems to know how long it will linger there, so I won't be getting another one. Too bad, because they are great fish. I don't know what I'm going to replace him with. I hope you have better luck, he'll be watching you as much as you watch him.
Awww, I'm sorry to hear it. How long did you have him? Is DGD contagious to other non-gouramis?
Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #39
Wannaberooted
Green is good

I had him four months, not nearly long enough. I don't believe it is contagious to other Gouramis, but except for Honey Gouramis, they all get too big for a 20 gallon in the long run. I'm going to monitor the tank for a while, and if all is well I'll look for a new king of the tank. Thanks for your concern.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #40
callisto9
Planted Member

Quote:
I had him four months, not nearly long enough. I don't believe it is contagious to other Gouramis, but except for Honey Gouramis, they all get too big for a 20 gallon in the long run. I'm going to monitor the tank for a while, and if all is well I'll look for a new king of the tank. Thanks for your concern.
I'm so sorry. I hope mine fares better. I knew I took a risk by getting him, but once I saw them, I had to try.

He's swimming all over the tank and he's been so fun to watch.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 AM   #41
callisto9
Planted Member

Loooooong overdue update (thanks Shelly).

Well, here's what's new:

* Starting picking out all the pink ramshorns. Everyone was right - you'll end up with a ton. I have probably picked out/given away about 100 at this point. I bet there's at least 10+ left in the tank. No more adding ramshorns for me.

* My first apple snail I purchased - a yellow one - died about a week ok. No idea why. I joined an apple snail forum, but we just couldn't help him. RIP "Epic Snail". Here he is during better times:

* Added two albino cory catfish. I know, I'm supposed to have four or more for schooling purposes, but I resisted and then realized I'm really close to being overstocked. And, after having them for a week, I really don't care for them. They were recommended as "clean up crew" for the floor of my tank, but their mad dash back and forth across the center of the tank ALL DAY LONG kinda disrupts the peacefulness that was my tank. At this point, I'm looking to trade or sell them.

* Finally moved over the dwarf gourami (named Juicy Fruit) after some QT. He's doing well and is very peaceful. However, it seems it could be him or the cories that nipped the fins of the blue guppy since the guppy's tail was nipped after the gourami and cories were added.

* One of my PetSmart fancy blue guppies had his tail fin shredded - twice. I have NO idea what fish did it. He's now in the QT tank with the Japan Blue guppies.

* I have fry! My Japan Blue guppies have produced babies. I have no idea which one popped them out, but fry and two females are now in the fry net in my little 6.6 gallon tank. Problem is, my regular blue guppy is in that tank, too, and I want to keep him away from the females so he doesn't impregnate them and pollute the Japan Blue line. He was in the net before I saw the fry and now he's in the main area, away from the ladies. I was going to treat him with some melafix, but held off once I saw the fry.

I still have diatoms. I've cut back on my light from 16 hours to about 8. I am dosing once a week with Flourish Comprehensive, but I don't know if it's doing any good. I'm not so good with this nutrient stuff.

So, there you have it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baby guppies.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	573.3 KB
ID:	57653  

Old 11-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #42
bluestems
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Awwwww, the little fry are so cute!

Sorry to hear about your mystery snail. That sucks. Any ideas why s/he died? Speaking of... I've spotted some very teeny tiny regular snails in my tank. They must have hitch hiked in on the dhg I picked up from the Wet Spot in Portland. I didn't rinse the plant. Oh well...

I know what you mean about the cories being a bit over-active, especially with other fish like gouramis that tend to meander more than dart around. That bugs me too.

If you do trade them in and still want some kind of ground feeder, check out the amano shrimp. They are supposed to be pretty hardy and have been excellent cleaners in my tank. Khuli loaches are pretty awesome too. They dart back and forth right when the light goes on, but otherwise they just tend to hang out, mostly working at night. They have the cutest faces with short whiskers.

btw, you take a-mazing pictures! How do you get such clear shots? I have troubles with reflections showing.

Anyhooo... don't feel like you HAVE to update here, but it is cool to see how things are going with your tank. I could always pop in at the other site too, if that's easier. (you'll have to let me know the site, though!)

my little eden
7g nano, a work in progress

cherry shrimp vase

3g semi-emersed bowl

bluestems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:09 AM   #43
Amandas tank
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Too bad about your snail Congratulations on your fry though! It would be fun to have little cuties swimming about.

I had corydoras before. They were cute little things but I couldn't stand their crazy behavior during water changes so I took them all back to the LFS. They were awful swimming crazily and banging themselves into the glass. When I wasn't doing water changes they were fine, but I perform the PWC every week. Just couldn't stand it.

How is your Gourami doing? Any new pictures?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
callisto9
Planted Member

I have no idea why the mystery snail died. I joined an apple snail forum and we tried an "oxygen treatment", but it made no difference. There's just not much out there about how to treat sick apple snails. The other two are doing really well, so I don't have a clue.

I was told by the LFS that corys would be a good cleanup crew, but they're almost never on the bottom of the tank. They swim back and forth across the middle of the tank all day. They bump into everything; themselves, the branch, the other fish, the walls, plants... they are so annoying! I am trying to sell or give them away. I guess I could take them back to the LFS...

I gotta tell ya, I'm on a mission now to get all the mini snails out of the tank. They took over SO quickly.

As for my pics, it's funny you say they're amazing; I don't feel like I take good pics of my stuff. Some of my best pics have come from my iPhone 5 and I have a fancy DSLR! To avoid reflection, close shades on windows and/or take the pics at an angle. Obviously, don't use a flash. I feel like I can never get good pics of the fish 'cause they never sit still!

The other site I joined is Aquarium Advice. It's a good all-around forum, but not as specialized as the Planted Tank. Though there are several members who have planted tanks over there, too.

The gourmai, Juicy Fruit, is doing great. He's my star of the tank. I love him! Here's a pic from today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	juicy fruit (1) - Copy.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	57704  

Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #45
callisto9
Planted Member

Here's my fry! They are much smaller in person than in the video. So cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRSk_EExn9Q