Fugeray or Ray2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
bat_billy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fugeray or Ray2?

I have a fluval spec v measuring 10.6 inches deep. I have approximately 2 inches of gravel in the tank. I will need to order a 16" light but I cannot decide between the Fugeray or the Ray2. I would like to have medium-high light in my aquarium. Which light should I choose?
bat_billy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
bat_billy
Algae Grower

Does anybody have any suggestions to this question?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)

Get second opinions, but The Fugeray is for medium to high, the Ray2 is high, prep for Co2 lol

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

If you get the Ray II, you will definitely need CO2. Even with CO2, if you don't have specific reasons to have that much light, you don't need it. If you get the FugeRay, for a tank that shallow, you may be able to get by without it but a DIY system or the such would likely be helpful.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
bat_billy
Algae Grower

I have a GLA paintball setup so CO2 won't be a problem. Will the Fugeray grow even high light plants like baby tears and rotalla with my CO2?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

The fugeray would give over 30 par at your depth, the ray 2 would be over 50. If you are serious about the co2 I think you could grow most anything with the ray 2
Old 10-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
bat_billy
Algae Grower

I think I'm going to go with the Fugeray instead of the Ray 2. As long as I fertilize well and use good CO2 I should be able to grow even a carpet with the Fugeray. It will just take longer!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_billy View Post
I think I'm going to go with the Fugeray instead of the Ray 2. As long as I fertilize well and use good CO2 I should be able to grow even a carpet with the Fugeray. It will just take longer!
From personal experience with the Ray2 and not using CO2/Ferts. It certainly is high light and I had to elevate it above my tank and shorten the time I run it to 8 hours to counter algae outbreaks. =P
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
bat_billy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M View Post
From personal experience with the Ray2 and not using CO2/Ferts. It certainly is high light and I had to elevate it above my tank and shorten the time I run it to 8 hours to counter algae outbreaks. =P
It is that sort of high light algae growth that I am trying to avoid. I always have to resist the urge to blast my tanks with ridiculous amounts of light. I just need to remember that more isn't always better. It does sound like you got the problem under control. Are you happy with how the color looks with the 7K?
Old 10-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Michael M
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_billy View Post
It is that sort of high light algae growth that I am trying to avoid. I always have to resist the urge to blast my tanks with ridiculous amounts of light. I just need to remember that more isn't always better. It does sound like you got the problem under control. Are you happy with how the color looks with the 7K?
You're in luck since I own a 7k/10k and a 7k/7k.

I like the 7k/10k slightly more since there's a bit more blue compared to the 7k/7k. However it's not hugely noticeable, the 7k/7k has a bit more of a yellow to it... however the 7k/7k came out due to customer demand so your tastes may differ, 7k is better for plants I think anyways and probably does look a bit more natural with plants.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

If you go with the fugeray you can leave the blue & whites on together for that vibrant, bright look or run the white alone for the warm look. I like the blues & whites together myself.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
bat_billy
Algae Grower

I like the idea of being able to change the color temp slightly by using the moonlighting. I think I am sold on the FugeRay. Hopefully it will be able to grow a carpet!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #13
rab546
Algae Grower

I have had the fugeray 36" now for 4 weeks. Just starting up the tank so doing a dry start method with HC and so far it's been great lots of new growth and it's rooted. So i will be filling the tank soon.

I can definently recommend this light, i was in two minds whether to go fugeray or ray2 and decided on the fugeray as the high light of the ray2 would cause more work (pruning scaping, dealing with algae outbreaks) that i don't always have the time for.
rab546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
Michael M
Planted Member

I think I would have gotten a Fugeray if I were to do it over again. I wound up having to elevate my Ray2 36" about 6 inches above to get proper lighting on my 40B.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #15
bat_billy
Algae Grower

After talking with everyone in this post I have decided to go with the Fugeray. I'm only going to have a depth of about 10 inches between the substrate and the light. As long as I fertilize well and keep my CO2 up I am confident that the Fuge will grow a carpet. I don't have time to constantly be dealing with algae either.

Thank you all for your help. This board and more importantly the people on it are a great resource to the hobby.