Pandamonium's 2g CRS Tank - "One Tree Hill"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Pandamonium's 2g CRS Tank - "One Tree Hill"

Journal will be kept updated with most recent updates first. Links will be provided to any additional updates

Background
So after finishing my first shrimp tank, this 12g long, (check it out if you would like, I try to keep the photos organized and recent )I decided to move my CRS to their own tank. I like how their colors pop so much against a dark substrate, and even better, my mom and sister like them too so they let me put it as an accent piece on one of the cabinets in the house.

Specs
Size: Aquarium Masters 2 gallon (12" x 6" x 6")
Filtration: Small Sponge Filter
Heater: Archaea 25W Mini Aquarium Heater ***HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HEATER FOR THOSE WITH SMALL TANKS***
Lighting: 13W CFL 6500K Bulb
Substrate: Fluval Shrimp Stratum with Osmocote Plus Fertilizer
Hardscape: Small Manzanita Tree, Red Lava Rock
Fauna Crystal Red Shrimp (C/B to SS+ grade), Hitch-hiking Ramshorns Snails
Flora: Fissidens, Mini Fissidens, Eleocharis acicularis

Pictures

Just put in substrate and ferts. Keeping the tank moist for now

Initial scaping thoughts. Didn't think about filter and heater yet. Created the Manzanita by gluing two pieces together with Super Glue.

Put in the sponge filter, heater, and pico thermometer. Rearranged the 3 rocks on the left hand side of the tank. Also planted the Eleocharis acicularis by the base of the Manzanita, and planted Hydrocotyle tripartita by the rocks. I have my Danio helping me cycle after using TSS and floaters to help out. He cycled for a good 2 weeks and now is back with his buddies in my 10 gallon community.

Close-up of the tree

Close-up of the rocks

I had second thoughts about carpeting, but picked up a ton of glosso from a member here. Planted the whole tank over. Took out the manzanita and the lava rock to try to grow fissidens on it.

Trying to grow moss on the red lava rock. What I learned was you need to use tank water and use a thinner layer. Right now, am redoing this step. I'll update with the results

The livestock!

Livestock in the tank. The rocks are in the regrowing stage for mini fissidens this time. Misting with tank water once a day and leaving the ziploc open for about 5 minutes a day for gas exchange. Also you can see all the fissidens on the floor. The shrimps peeled it off the tree. Guess the tree will stay bare!

Shrimp Pictures!

My two initial explorers to make sure the water was good. They were great and perfectly fine. The rest of their friends were moved over that night

Have some babies that I found in my 12g that I transferred over. 2 pics of the same little shrimplet

Lower grade CRS milling about

CRS with a baby in the foreground

Berried CRS!

Feeding Time! I really like the feeding trays. I have glass and plastic ones which I use in both tanks. I might RAOK 1 and maybe sell the others, but that will have to see on how my shrimp adventures go

Another berried CRS! There is actually one more but she is hiding more than the other 2.

More Updates as things happen! Stay tuned! Feedback, questions, inquiries are all welcome
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
pandamonium
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Update, mini fissidens on lava rocks is looking okay. Green but not sure if it is attaching or not. I am planning on giving it 1 to 2 more weeks to attach before moving the rocks into the tank
pandamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
DoubleT
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

I really like this tank! Can't wait to see little shrimplets everywhere!
DoubleT is offline   Reply With Quote