Zack's first aquarium. 20L / Low Tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Zack's first aquarium. 20L / Low Tech

I thought that I would start a thread to keep up with my first aquarium ever. I purchased a 20L on sale at Petsmart a while ago, but only recently found myself in a stable enough living situation to feel comfortable to set it up. It will be planted although it isn't currently. It will probably stay low tech for a lack of funds and time because I'm a college student. I'm going to get easy low light plants and nothing too fancy for fish. This is my first aquarium ever and I don't want to make it a burden on myself.

Equipment:
20L
DIY Stand
Marineland Double Bright LED
Eihm Jager 125w heater (might be too large)
Aqua Clear 30 HOB

Substrate: Rinsed all purpose sand
Rocks: Locally sourced river rocks.

Flora / Fauna : None as of yet. My PH is in the high 7 almost 8 range.

Questions:

Can this heater be mounted at an angle? It's too long to fit in the tank vertically. I believe I went a little overboard with it.

Am I correct in assuming that the heater and HOB should be located near each other so that the return spreads the heat around the tank?

I don't know anyone locally that has an aquarium for me to get seed material from. I'm going to order a biologically active filter sponge from AngelsPlus.com It seems that they run these filters in their active tanks, and then ship them out to people. I'm just going to cut it to fit in my AC30 and hopefully it will help with the cycle. I know this is an established method for reducing cycle time, but does anyone have any experience with AngelsPlus as a vendor?

Pictures

This is the initial stone layout using the cardboard from the tank as a reference.

Supplies

Sand

Filling the tank with my ingenious hose nozzle fix.

I moved the main rock feature to the left a little at a friends suggestion. I think it looks better too.

I really like the variety of grain size and color in this sand. It looks much more natural to me.
Gotcha38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #2
blue1delta
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Cool tank! Lets see some plants
blue1delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1delta View Post
Cool tank! Lets see some plants
Trying to decide where to order from. I think I'm gonna go with Planted Aquarium Central's 20gal Plant Pack. I've been looking around the sales section here and I'm just not sure what to buy. This will at least get me started.

This is a crosspost from Equipment, but as it's a part of my progress I decided to see if anyone here had an idea.

Quote:
I got an Eheim Jager submersible heater (Picture of Heater) for my 20L. It has a minimum water depth line, and also an instruction to not mount it anyway but vertical.

Unfortunately the heater hits my substrate at which the water hasn't yet reached the minimum water line.

Is creating a cavity for the bottom of my heater in the substrate an acceptable solution? Im thinking of a setup like this where nothing is actually touching the heater but water.

Can I mount this heater at an angle even though it says not to? Is it actually completely submersible? I've heard that some say they are but they're actually not.

Thank you for any help you're able to give. I'm waiting on some established filter media to come in from AngelsPlus this week, so I'll have fish in here sometime before friday. I need to get this heater situation sorted by then.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Buy a bunch of low light anubias and ferns, along with some moss, from h4n or another member here and tie/superglue the rhizomes to the rocks. You will get a LOT more value for 30 bucks by doing that.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

Ordered

3x Vals
5x Dwarf Sag
5x Stargrass
2x Java Fern
1x Java Moss
2x Anubis Petite

this morning from h4n. Hope they get here soon. Still waiting on my filter media and flake food as well.

Trying to decide what fish to get. Ph is right at 7.8-8 I believe. I tested it with my test kit a few days ago right when I put the stones in. Gonna test again today and see if anything has changed.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
h4n
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (713/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Buy a bunch of low light anubias and ferns, along with some moss, from h4n or another member here and tie/superglue the rhizomes to the rocks. You will get a LOT more value for 30 bucks by doing that.
thanks man!

thank you for the order to Zack! cant wait to see them in there!
h4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

Got my established filter media and food from Angelsplus.com. Great customer service, and the food was great/inexpensive. It's a big sack of food.

I went to the local Petsmart and got 8 neons on sale for $1. I'm probably going to add 6 more. I wanted to check and see how the sponge is doing after shipping. I put them in at 9pm last night, and as of this morning no sign of ammonia.

I'm not sure if I should go fully stocked so that all my bacteria stays alive, or add fish little by little. I wanted to get some peppered corys, but at $6 a pop I'm hesitant to toss 6 in right off the bat.

Plants arrive Monday. Pictures aren't too amazingly different at the moment. The Neons have colored up nicely and started roaming in groups after their feeding this morning. Trying not to overfeed.

How long should I wait before adding more fish? My whole stocking ideas thus far are all in at the Petsmart. I'm sitting on my hands as best I can, but I'm a pretty light guy.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

Tested yesterday am and my readings were

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

Test readings for this morning are

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10

Looks like the filter I got some AngelsPlus is 100% doing it's job. I'm going to go back to Petsmart today and bump my neon count to around 16.

I would like to have some Bolivian Rams at some point, but I think I'll consider adding them after I get my plants in on Monday and get things scaped. That should be my complete stocking for some time until I get a canister filter then maybe I'll switch the AC30 over or keep it as a backup. I'm not sure what other fish I'd like to have, but according to Aquadvisor I could get some Corys if I had more filtration, and I like those little guys so I think I will.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think some panda cory would look nice on your substrate. I would definitely wait on putting more in until you're done planting, those neons and cory can be a real pain to catch. Can't wait to see it planted! Also, man thats a good deal on neons!
water-kitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by water-kitties View Post
I think some panda cory would look nice on your substrate. I would definitely wait on putting more in until you're done planting, those neons and cory can be a real pain to catch. Can't wait to see it planted! Also, man thats a good deal on neons!
Thanks for the advice. I've been playing around on aquadvisor.com and my filtration keeps running out before my aquarium capacity. So I'm looking into either acquiring another HOB or a replacement canister so that I can have the stocking I want.

I tried to go back and get some more neons yesterday but they were sold out.

I'm thinking maybe around 15 neons, a pair of rams once I get some plant coverage, and maybe some galaxy raspboras. We shall see.

Edit: Damn. I was doing my first water change, and i thought everything was going great. Got the syphon going good, remembered to unplug the heater, no water everywhere, and somehow one of my neons ended up dead in the water bucket. Could he have come through the airline somehow? I've just been using standard sized airline tubing for air stones or the like. Damn.

Last edited by Gotcha38; 06-10-2013 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: dissappointment and sadness
Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Jahn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

If I didn't have shrimp, I would have loved to get Rams too. But yes, neons are nice, and they do get along with Celestial Pearl Danio/Galaxy Rasbora.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #12
Gotcha38
Algae Grower

I got my plant package in on Monday and had to quickly scape everything before I went to a wedding. I hope it looks alright. I like it.

I'm dosing Flourish once a week, and I'm probably going to order some of those Osmocote root capsules off of the sales forum. I got a $100 bucks for helping out with the wedding and such, so maybe I'll look at paintball setups. Maybe I'll go to the bar. We shall see.