Co2 DIY vs Pressurized
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Cuthahotha
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Co2 DIY vs Pressurized

I keep seeing posts that DIY Sugar/Yeast CO2 is for smaller tanks.

Why? If I can build a DIY system that supports 20gal, why not just triple it's size for 60g?

I haven't found a reliable place to get CO2 refills in the town I live in. Which means a 90 mile round trip to San Diego, and only able to refill on the weekends (can't get down there mid week due to work schedule).

What I was thinking was to build out a system that hooked up 3, 4, or 5 2 liter bottles as needed. each with their own bubble counter. Add in check valves so any can be detached and refilled as needed without blowing pressure on the whole system.

How much harder is mixing up a batch of sugar/yeast in 5 cup compared to 1 cup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

You're absolutely right! and this guy has done so!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=290122

You just gotta keep fiddling with it every 5 days.

It's unfortunate that you can't find a refill but pressurized just gives you the ability to not worry about it for months along with amazing stability if you've built your system right.
ipkiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Google search shows me Airgas in Temecula, CA.
I know there are welders in your area. Is it possible you may have overlooked some of the suppliers?

Pressure CO2 IS a bite to set up but once set. It really is the best way to go for most folks.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Cuthahotha
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Google search shows me Airgas in Temecula, CA.
I know there are welders in your area. Is it possible you may have overlooked some of the suppliers?
Very likely. Never thought about Airgas. Just didn't think they serviced anything this small.

Fish store today suggested home brewer supply houses. I could have slapped my self. I home brew, but I bottle so my CO2 is from fermentation. I don't do kegs so I didn't think about that for CO2 supply.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Brian041
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuthahotha View Post
Very likely. Never thought about Airgas. Just didn't think they serviced anything this small.

Fish store today suggested home brewer supply houses. I could have slapped my self. I home brew, but I bottle so my CO2 is from fermentation. I don't do kegs so I didn't think about that for CO2 supply.
Correct me if I'm wrong but some paintball suppliers can probably do refills as well.
Brian041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

When you mention this small, I may be thinking different about size! What size did you have in mind? I find it fits me better to use a 20 pound bottle which lasts me far longer so that it reduces taking it off as well as the trip to exchange. I find putting it together and letting set for a long time works better than me hauling it in and out so that I may break something. The price for exchange of 5, 10 and 20 pounds is nearly the same for all.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #7
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

fire extinguisher service is where I go to get my 10lb tank fill with co2 ,as I wait for it only takes 5-10mins and coast around $17.99 for my own tank . I also had them reinspect a old tank that coast $35. they have to do a pressure test the tank and re stamp the date on the tank. Other places like wielding shops will want you to trade your tank for on that's full of there .
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Bandit1200
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Don't forget the home brewer's suppliers. I get my tank filled at the one down the road from me. And a nice bonus is that they're open on the weekends.
Bandit1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Dulkred
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Sports Authority also typically does CO2 refills (or at least all the ones around here do), and their store locators says there's one in Temecula.
Dulkred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
liquidbud
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I had difficulties too in my rural area. Until the idea popped in my head to check the local auto parts store.

Sure enough, they get welding gasses and were able to get me 5lb tanks delivered twice weekly at $14 per swap.

Instead of driving two to three hours round trip, I can swap a tank on my way home in the evening. Yay!
liquidbud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #11
greenteam
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I 2nd going pressurized CO2 for the simple fact that its a steady source of C)2 rather then hoping you get a mix right. I have done DIY, Paintball, And now 5lb tank. I can say hands down I wish I had skip the other 2 and went straight for the full setup. I fill my tank once per YEAR and it's set on timer so I have to do 0 maintenance on it. Total setup cost me around $140 and worth every penny.

I know I hated having to sit and mix the DIY stuff every week.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
natebuchholz
Algae Grower

I just bought a 5lb tank at Airgas yesterday. they will swap a full one when its empty. probably your best bet.
natebuchholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
flight50
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Man Airgas is everywhere then. That is who I use. I bought a 5lb about 5 years ago but I wish I had gone with a 10lb or 20lb. The longevity of the co2 has many factors. To say it last for x amount of time varies widely. For some a 5lb can last 2-3 months. For others 1-1.5 months. It really just depends on your setup and how efficiently it is setup.
Eheim Pimp #509
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER#31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds - Duo DIY Quad Stands

Tanks - low tech 29g
flight50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Yea, pressurized is easier. I pretty much never touch my tank other than water changes and routine maintenance. Yes, a bit of bba here and there but nothing unmanageable. Really love the fact that good quality regulators and needle valves keep the CO2 consistent.
puopg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

I think we made all start out maybe being a bit blind on the ways CO2 is used. That leads us to miss some of the obvious sources that may work much better for us in our little spot on the map. There are folks doing planted tanks all around and we think about them but then there are SO, SO, many other ways CO2 is used. Bet there are home brew folks in most areas. If not, there's welding , greenhouses, paintball, and most any place has some little joint that sells soda!