Osomocote Plus in substrate
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
CherryS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Osomocote Plus in substrate

I started a new 29 tall and decided to try Safe-T-Sorb as a substrate instead of the pool filter sand I've been using. I sprinkled some Osmocote Plus in the bottom of the tank before adding the substrate, plants and water. I moved an established Aquaclear 50 from another tank and let it settle for a couple days. Then I tested for nitrates and was shocked to find it maxed out on the API color chart. I then tested for ammonia and nitrite and got the same results for those. Trying to find the source, I tested water from a bucket of soaking Safe-T-Sorb and got zero across the board. I put a few grains of Osmocote in a glass of water and tested the next day. No doubt in my mind now that the Osmocote is the source.

There are no fish in there, so no emergency in that regard. Should I just let this run its course as is, or should I do heavy water changes to bring this under control sooner?
CherryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (440/100%)

Yep, let it run its course. That way you don't have to restart.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

^what shocked said.. or plant like a mofo. fight it that way.

i really didn't like using the pellets in my tanks.. they're nasty to see half dissolved poking out of the substrate.. which will happen.

you can use small amounts in a filter bag or just layered in a canister type set-up. use your test kits to dial in your ideal ranges. I worked with pellets in a canister for a few weeks as an uncontrolled test and it seemed to give me uncontrollable growth.. i went to remove the pellets that i figured were all spent up, but they were still as pale yellow as ever. hadn't even began to swell really.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Trickerie post 24-
The sts sucks carbonates out of the water like a vacuum. This will continue for quite a while since you used 40 lbs. My suggestion is to buffer it quite high each water change to let the sts charge itself quicker. I used only a cap of it, and it still took a few weeks to stop
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
CherryS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the info. I did notice the water is incredibly soft to the point I can feel it. I measured 6 Ph, but I think that's just because the test kit doesn't go any lower. Hard water is easy to come by here, so I will just do lots of changes until it stabilizes.

My main concern was with the high ammonia output from the Osmocote adding to the bio load from the fish. I always wondered why my nitrates were so high in my 55g, and now wondering how much the Osmocote tabs contribute to that. I change 50% or more every week and find it difficult to keep below 40. Below 20 seems an impossible goal.
CherryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.