Andrew's 1st tank - fluval spec V - never ending breeding - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #31
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

two new pix... replaced the blyxa plant in the front left which was doing real bad with the remained of my dwarf sub then added a crypt parva next to the crypt wendtii and finally added some flame moss over the biggest piece of driftwood - I think it all looks a bit more lush

oh and maybe you can spot the new nerite snail, on algae duty
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #32
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

All invertebrates need calcium supplementing or calcium enriched diets for them to grow and molt properly. A diet rich in protien also will cause them to grow faster than the rate of shell development which results in premature molting. Many can survive with partial molts but with obvious deformities like lost limbs. Learn more about dosing the water column with calcium. It is easy and inexpensive.

Also for a tank with the stock lighting, id recommend not having any floaters as it makes a low light tank that much darker. If you wanted to keep floaters, get a few larger ones like frog bit or dwl where the shrimp can feed off their biofilm. Duckweed doesn't offer this benefit and just serves to multiply and choke light out.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewss View Post
sooo craycray my CPO was looking a bit under the weather for a couple weeks now, his last molt went bad and he was missing a main claw (and his antennae remained really short after this too) - this happened like a day after I added my assassin snails (I wonder if one of em attacked him while he was molting?) - but yeah the last couple days he was kinda twitchy and not moving around well one his claws was stuck and like seized a lil vertical....

but I am curious what you guys think about the cause - I wasn't really supplementing the tank for hardness or calicum or anything for shrimps/crays - any advice here? only thing I did was a few weeks back I started giving the tank some fluval shrimp granules.

so yeah, today I found him dead, apparently halfway molted and he just didn't have it to complete the molt :'(

craycray was a loved member of the 5gallon community from the start back in july - may he rest in peace in my pet cemetery - and out of respect I might retire the 5gallon from CPO keeping perhaps indefinitely.

RIP
Old 11-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #33
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the input, I really appreciate it - oh and yeah I've been taking out the duckweed more and more lately...

any more specific input you can give me on the calcium issue? I am wondering if supplementing the water or the diet is the way to go... well I will be searching on this
Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #34
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

It is looking more lush I agree.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #35
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

AWESOME LITTLE TANK!!!

SO SORRY about Craycray!!! It sux when ya get attached to the little guys , then loose them too soon!!! LOTS of people say " They are JUST fish", but when you work on your tanks soooo hard like most of us do, they are NOT JUST FISH ANYMORE!!! To me my aquatic friends are treasured, some more than others, but still they are Living Creatures and not some plastic toy that when broken gets trashed!!!

Anyway Sorry about the rant!

The only thing I would change about the tank is the gravel as some have mentioned, but still it is a VERY COOL SETUP!

Keep up the great work!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #36
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks man

Yeah, it was really sad to find him dead

The gravel would be nice to change out to some sandy substrate over maybe a soil... eventually I will do that job - probably in a few more months when the filter gets even more packed with good bacteria

thanks again !
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #37
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

couldn't help but take a picture of my female (who recently dropped) invading the endler pennywort hangout

I have finally gotten to KH/GH testing with this tank and have some invert supplements coming in the mail, and some borneowild shrimp foods

Will update when goodies arrive.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #38
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, I have begun dosing with flourish and flourish excel finally...

These tanks come with both biomax and carbon filter - I heard the carbon will eliminate the fertilizers. You guys agree?

So I took out the carbon bag and left the biomax, however I am wondering what I should do from here on out... replace that section in the sponge thing with another bag of the biomax (ceramic) or leave it out? What do you guys think?

Isn't the ceramic just for smell or something, no? Just wondering what the justification for the carbon is.

Any input is appreciated!

I am still waiting on more goodies to come in the mail but I finally got my equilibrium in, so I am trying to devise a schedule:

flourish: 1x week
flourish excel: 3 or 4x a week
equilibrium: every water change

Also, I am waiting on some more varied food for the shrimps (all borneowild) but also their minerax & vigor supplements... so I am wondering how I should fit those two into the schedule equation or if they are even necessary lol!

Oh and here are my parameters:

ph: 7.2
gh: 161 (9drops)
kh: 3 (3drops)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

You are correct. Carbon will remove the nutrients from the water column.

The ceramic rings are porous, and have a lot of surface area. The high surface area allows for a lot of room for beneficial bacteria to grow. In a sense I guess they do aid in removing the smell.

Have nothing but filter floss,ceramic rings, and bio balls in my filters.
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #40
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

bioballs huh... I am thinking I am going to stuff some bioballs in the bottom part of the overflow and then put the sponge thing housing my biomax on top of that, probably sticking out a little more than stock that way it prevents fry from going through the slits and hanging out up there - it is kinda funny they are interested in swimming in there especially if I am messing around with it because these endlers are so curious - but I don't want to hurt or trap any of them
Old 11-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #41
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

finally got around to testing my water straight from the tap here...

ph: 7.2 - 7.6 (I have gotten a damn near same result from my tank but this tube seemed a decent bit more blue than the 7.2 which is more teal like lol but whatever)

gh: 179 (10 drops vs 9 drops from the tank)

kh: 3 (same 3 drops from tap and tank)

probably going to stack in bioballs in the filter to fill in space and filtering considering the carbon is gone for good (and will do the same with my smaller spec2)
Old 11-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #42
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

FTS

he's tryin so hard to impress the ladies

the gang of them, my oldest male is trying to show them how it's done lol!

when the males get into fits of displaying for the females it is pretty funny
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #43
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

This is just such a beautiful tank, I absolutely love watching it grow :]
Old 11-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #44
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks so much
Old 11-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #45
Rexthecrayfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

haha love the planted assassin, does that cray get along with the shrimp? he doesnt eat the babies does he? im thinking of getting one for my 5gal rcs tank
Rexthecrayfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.