Celestial Pearl Danio and Shrimp
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Celestial Pearl Danio and Shrimp

So i recently saw these very cool looking fish in a planted tank and i found a source that seems to reasonable. I am out of tank space but i was thinking about putting these guys in a 20 gallon tank with a colony of shrimp but will they eat the babies? If not i can put them in a 55 but the temp is lower in that tank because it has my red cstal and i definitely would be concerned about those getting eaten...
gmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Bercey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

They sure do eat the babies. I have some with my RCS and sometimes I just sit there and watch them get all predatory. :P

That being said, if your colony is solid, your shrimp would probably reproduce faster than they can be eaten; something I don't mind.
Bercey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

any fish will eat anything that fits in their mouth... all except otos.

if you have a densely planted tank and a high rebirth rate, then there should not be any problems. I have them together with fire reds and they dont harass the adults. i just dont see very many babies as compared to the other tanks...
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

I used to keep Tetras with Shrimp, it worked fine until I realized that I'd get more shrimp if I isolated the berried ones.

But yeah, as stated before, most fish will eat what fits in their mouths. It doesn't help that shrimplets are so tasty...
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

I kept celestial pearl danios with my yellow shrimp for about 6 months. They never wiped out my colony but the numbers sure didn't go up by much while they were in there. I only got rid of them because a friend wanted to trade me for some other fish. Otherwise they would still be in the shrimp tank. I have seen them pick off babies but not constantly. Go for it with the cherries. They reproduce faster than yellows so it should be all good
Fdsh5 is online now   Reply With Quote