All roads lead to Rome
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
green18
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

All roads lead to Rome

So understanding the end goal is a healthy, thriving ecosystem and also being aware there are multiple ways to achieve that goal I have decided to journal two very different tanks. While they are starting at the same time the journey for each promises to be very different.

Tank 1: 150 Deep Dimension cube (36x36).
Filtration: E-shopps Sump with 2 inches submerged pond matrix and sponge insert.
Water movement: Sicce return pump and Jaebo WP-20 switching every few days between wave maker, else mode and just standard flow.
Lights: 2 Reef Breeder Photons suspended 15" above the tank with the blue channel off and several of the blue led's blocked with electrical tape. Running 5-4-5.
Dosing: 10mL Metricide, Greenleaf PPS (amount TBD), 1 bottle of DIY CO2 just for fun. Flourish substrate tabs.
Substrate: 2-1 ratio of Eco-Complete and Activ-Flora.
Livestock plans: Large school of neons, cleanup crew, and pair of south american cichlids either angels or rams.
Scape: Heavy on lava rock and local river driftwood and plants mixed with tissue culture plants TBD.
Plot: This tank was a successful reef for several years. I was looking to simplify and given my passion for kayaking and the local rivers I wanted to have a piece of that at home. Traditional aquarium cycle, adding plants a few at a time. I plan to have high light level options and am willing to invest in CO2 if necessary.

Tank 2: 27 Marineland Cube (20x18)
Filtration: None
Water movement: Empty canister or power heads
Lights: Marineland double bright and either planted+ or satellite+ (looking for recommendations). Running 5-4-5.
Dosing: fish food
Substrate: 1 inch potting mix. 1-2 inch black diamond sand.
Livestock plans: Quarantine for the big tank. No chemicals.
Scape: Same as large tank.
Plot: This small cube is something of an experiment. A completely different approach to it. No CO2 or fertilizers, low to moderate light, little to no maintenance.

Last edited by green18; 02-14-2014 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: edited for corrections
green18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
green18
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok, forgive the terrible, terrible pictures. I am taking the same approach as a diet commercial. Make the before photos look as bad as possible, figure out a decent camera along the way and end up later with a great transformation.

Here are a couple shots of the 150 using an iPhone. You really can't appreciate the scale but there is a driftwood island in the front right corner and a lava rock wall going most of the front left corner to back right. There is a temporary driftwood behind it that won't be staying but the bristle nose pleco is enjoying it too much. Eventually the tank will not end in glass but instead the entire area behind the lava rock wall will be tall plants (possibly val?). As you can see from my tv chair to the right of the tank I have a completely different but equal view from the side giving me another perspective. The Jaebo wp-25 is pulsing a stream parallel to the lava ridge which forms an underwater stream between the driftwood and rock. The neon tetras really seem to enjoy hanging in the current impersonating salmon. I can't wait to get this densely planted on both sides of the "stream".

The vcr thing hanging above it are my Reefbreeder LED's at around 25%. I added a few swords and a couple carpet plants are being tested to see what works. The tall thing at the back is a dreaded plastic plant I was using as a placeholder to position the rock wall while leaving room.

I have also started the 27 low-tech and it is scaped with only petrified wood. Should be interesting. Will get pics of that shortly. The camera really ruins the scale. This tank is huge and there is a ton of open space that will hopefully come across when i get better pics.

green18 is offline   Reply With Quote