Will my fish be ok?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
bigQfan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Will my fish be ok?

Hello
I am ready to start a heavily planted tank in my 20 long. I have a few tetras and a dwarf pleco in this tank for about 4 months now. I want to pull out all my substrate and replant. I am curious, will this start my cycle all over or would it be safe to put my fish right back into the tank when I am finished?
bigQfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Neevie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not positive, but I think as long as you don't change the filter media you should be ok. Unless you plan on using a substrate that is known to leach ammonia when it is new. Personally I'd just wait for any cloudiness from the new substrate to go away before adding the fish.
Neevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
bigQfan
Algae Grower

Ok. Filter will be same. Driftwood goes back in. Trying a dirted tank with a cap of Eco complete that is about a year old
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Take some of the old substrate and stick it in some pantyhose and leave that in the tank for a few weeks. I helps to establish the bacteria in the new substrate
babydragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Changing your substrate may cause a mini-cycle.. My advice for you is to monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels closely after changing out your substrate making sure there is no levels of ammonia or nitrite at all but a little nitrate. Good luck.
10 gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Iwagumi low-tech planted tank
10 gallon Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Black Bar Silver Dollar/Regular & Spotted Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
rachleedy
Algae Grower

I'd say just keep a close eye on your water parameters for awhile, but you should be fine after you seed it.

I recently just started a new 10 gallon planted tank with Organic Miracle Grow Potting Soil and Eco Complete and immediately got 0.5+ ppm of ammonia off the bat after I filled up the tank. I'm not sure which one was the ammonia culprit though ...

EDIT: Potting MIX, not Soil.

Last edited by rachleedy; 05-22-2013 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: Heh, I didn't read the bag properly
rachleedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
bigQfan
Algae Grower

That's exactly my plan...miracle gro with my old Eco complete cap. I will def keep an eye on things. Thanks for all the advice
Old 05-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
rachleedy
Algae Grower

Okay. So out of curiousity, I've been doing some poking around, as well as my own experiment, and have found that some potting mixes and dirt can leech ammonia. NeonFlux is totally right that this can cause a mini-cycle if it's not watched carefully.

I just got finished with my experiment to see which of my substrates was the source of the ammonia. I put one part Organic Miracle Gro Potting Mix and one part water into a glass cup, and then one part Eco Complete Black substrate and one part water into another glass cup. I then filtered the water repeatedly (and patiently) until the water ran clear. I then tested using my ATI test kit. Surprise! The ammonia was coming from the potting mix. The test was off that charts at 8.0+ ppm.

So what did I do wrong?
I never mineralized my soil, or even soaked and drained it like some would suggest before I dirted and capped my tank. I slapped it in my tank haphazardly. This worked for my tank only because I'm okay with the ammonia presence since I'm doing a fishless cycle. However, since you have fish, I'd be weary of using soil that hasn't been rinsed, drained, and processed.

TL : DR (too long, didn't read): If you're using processed/mineralized soil/dirt then you'll be okay. If you're using newly bought soil/dirt out of a bag, then be very wary and diligent with water changes in case of mini-cycle even after seeding your tank.

Last edited by rachleedy; 05-22-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
ambiguouser

Be careful when you pull it up so you don't disturb the ground too much and bring out some bad bacteria or algae.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
rachleedy
Algae Grower

No problem, BigQfan. Best of luck!