20g Cliff Face
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Shi Guy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

20g Cliff Face

Standard 20g. 1 week after setup.

The Java Moss is going crazy like it tends to do, while the Dwarf Hairgrass is also fairing well. The Dwarf Baby Tears is, of course, the slowest, but it's already sending out runners. I may pick up another 1 or 2 pots this weekend to help fill in some of the larger gaps. I'm contemplating moving the clump of Moss that's in the lower middle of the large stone to the top of the "cliff", where I would keep the top well trimmed but let it fall over the a bit of the cliff face.

As far as the system setup goes, I'm running a Finnex Ray II LED 24" 2x 7k as well as a old Coralife 24" PC for lighting. Other equipment includes pressurized CO2, Filstar XP S, and a Hydor ETH 300 (overkill I know, but when the 300 was only a $1 more than the 200 it seemed like a no brainer). I'm also using RO/DI water, one of the left over pieces of equipment from my reefing days. The substrate is composed of ADA Power Sand Special, New Amazonia Normal, and New Amazonia Powder.

My water parameters are currently a little wonky, with my pH reading 6.0 and nitrites at 0, but both ammonia and nitrates being sky high. I'm clearly very early in the cycle, but I attribute part of this to the fert dosing I've been doing (the standard KN03, KH2P04, GH booster and Trace regime) and I'm wondering if I started the dosing regime to early.

In terms of the aquascape I'm wishing the rocks next to the large rock were a little taller, to ease the eye away from the large rock and to the side of the tank. I'm hoping that letting the hairgrass grow a little taller in that area will compensate. Also, it's hard to notice it from the particular angle of the shot, but the substrate is sloped. I didn't notice it before but it looks like I need to level out substrate at the front. Oops!

Hopefully this weekend I can take a shot with no equipment in the tank and a black background attached.

Thanks for looking!

Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

This is a great start!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

looking good
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
deleted_user_17
Planted Member

Love the scape

Good luck with the tank
Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Shi Guy
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone!

I'm planning on stopping by the LFS today to pick up a couple more pots of DBT as well as some used filter media, as I attempt to give the cycling process a bit of a kickstart.