The ultimate schooling fish!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

View Poll Results: harlequin rasboras or rummy nose tetras?
rummy nose tetra 10 62.50%
harlequin rasbora 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

The ultimate schooling fish!

hello TPT members! it's almost time to stock my 60-p and I'm still not sure what type of fish I should get. I'm looking for a fish that has a balance between these three criteria: COLOR (if I'm going to get fish,they at least should look ok) SCHOOLING CAPABILITIES(minimal stray fish, it's fine if there are one or two off to the side. I really like seeing the fish turn all together when they reach the end of the tank) and lastly SMALL SIZE (this one is very important because I want to have the tank understocked but still have a nice amount of fish.

I'm currently considering these fish
harlequin rasbora
celestial pear danios( heard they are a little shy and am not sure about schooling capabilities)
rummy nose tetras(heard they eat plants and are not they most colorful)

well guys, leave a suggestion below on what fish I should get. I'm not the most knowledgeable on the different types of nano/schooling fish there are out there. any advice or input is greatly appreciated

-tetra10
tetra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #2
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

In my experience keeping huge schools of assorted Danio and Tetras, I would have to say that Pink Zebra Danio school the tightest of the Danio. Galaxy Rasbora schools loosely, and tends to break off to hide in corners before rejoining the school.

I would recommend Neon Tetras for their color, but their schooling and activity is uninteresting at best when compared to similar fish like the Cardinal Tetra or the Glo-Lite Danio. Don't even get me started on the Glo-Lite Tetra. Those things just suck. They float in place most of the time just readjusting their position in the swarm.

Rummy-noses take the top prize for best schoolers in my opinion, they are highly active, swim quickly, and school tightly. And I don't know where you got your information about their coloring, perhaps you've seen some bad photos or specimens. My rummy-nose are a brilliant white, almost silver sheen that reflects beautifully as they shimmer under the lights. Their tails are perfectly checker patterned with a deep blue/black pigment and their bright red noses seem to glow brighter than Glo-Lite tetra bodies do.
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Lowe
Finnex

+1 for the Rummy Nose

Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #4
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
In my experience keeping huge schools of assorted Danio and Tetras, I would have to say that Pink Zebra Danio school the tightest of the Danio. Galaxy Rasbora schools loosely, and tends to break off to hide in corners before rejoining the school.

I would recommend Neon Tetras for their color, but their schooling and activity is uninteresting at best when compared to similar fish like the Cardinal Tetra or the Glo-Lite Danio. Don't even get me started on the Glo-Lite Tetra. Those things just suck. They float in place most of the time just readjusting their position in the swarm.

Rummy-noses take the top prize for best schoolers in my opinion, they are highly active, swim quickly, and school tightly. And I don't know where you got your information about their coloring, perhaps you've seen some bad photos or specimens. My rummy-nose are a brilliant white, almost silver sheen that reflects beautifully as they shimmer under the lights. Their tails are perfectly checker patterned with a deep blue/black pigment and their bright red noses seem to glow brighter than Glo-Lite tetra bodies do.

but I hear that rummy'shave a habit of eating plants. since I am doing an iwagumi type of setup, this will be a problem if true.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe View Post
+1 for the Rummy Nose
rummy nose is definitely a candidate. I absolutely fell in love with them when I saw them at the LFS. they schooled wonderfully in the long tank they were in, swimming from one end to the other. honestly the colors and patterns are not quite up to par but there schooling capabilities just might win me over. how many should I get ifi want understocked but still able to keep the rummys comfortable and in a school? i was thinking 6-9 but I'm still unsure. anyways, thanks for your input

-tetra10
Old 10-16-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
Texans
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

rummynose will aet plants imo
Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post

are you able to post some pictures of your rummys? I'm very interested in seeing some of yours!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans View Post
rummynose will aet plants imo
do you have any experience with this? also, the only plant that I have in my tank is dwarf hair grass.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok I just added a poll. the harlequin rasbora and rummy nose tetra are my final candidates.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #10
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

For what it's worth, the reason I got rid of my Rummy nose tetras was because they devoured shrimp. If you plan on keeping shrimp, I'd go for the Harlequins.
pweifan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

How about Brilliant Rasboras (Rasbora borapetensis)? They're small, colorful and inexpensive, so you can get quite a few for your tank and that wil make an impressive display! I had some that schooled tightly in a 55 gallon. Of course, most, if not all, of the fish that are being mentioned need a reason to school. Once they become acclimated to a tank with no threats, they will school less frequently.
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #12
tetra10
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
For what it's worth, the reason I got rid of my Rummy nose tetras was because they devoured shrimp. If you plan on keeping shrimp, I'd go for the Harlequins.
Im planning on keeping red cherry shrimp. I have never heard of rummy's eating shrimp. I did expect them to eat shrimplets but not full sized shrimp

EDIT: do you mean they eat full sized adults? also, what shrimp did your rummys eat and are you sure that your rummys are the ones that made your shrimp disappear?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #13
reefboi16
Algae Grower

No, I have not had any eat shrimp or shrimplets. Just make sure you have some good plants for the babies to hide in and you are good to go.
reefboi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:35 AM   #14
starrlamia
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have seen mine eat a shrimp but not sure if it was dead first. I don't have the rummy nose anymore.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:41 AM   #15
nokturnalkid
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)

If you can find some good healthy stock, lemon tetras will be one of the tightest schoolers you can find.
nokturnalkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, nano, school