Etane's 60P - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #31
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i really like the clean look of this! its simpe and effective, and the way the rocks and plants play off each other on the left side in genius!
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #32
etane
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/88%)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Been away from the site for a while.

Bought a Fugeray to experiment with but didn't have such good results. Lots of my plants started melting. Returned it and went back to my LED desk lamp.

So, the snowball shrimps been berried a few times but never saw any of the kids that is until a few days ago. However, they don't look like snowballs. The blue velvets must have impregnated the snowball mommy.

Here's a pic of the snowball and blue velvet hybrid. Looks like a carbon rilli? One can dream.

Too bad the shrimp is taking a dump in the pic.

I actually read somewhere that these two shrimps are unlikely to mate. Well, I saw the blue velvet rape the snowball. It just locked onto her back and didn't let go no matter how hard the snowball mommy tried to kick him off. Didn't matter that the snowball is about 3 times the blue velvet's size.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #33
tizzite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Love the tank- very clean. I think you have the same passion for expensive hardware I do.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #34
etane
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzite View Post
Love the tank- very clean. I think you have the same passion for expensive hardware I do.
Thanks! Hobby wise, I recently transitioned from hifi stereo to fish tanks. $ wise is more sane.

I love using the Pablo LED desk lamp as aquarium light. Brightness, color temp, dim-able, and form factor is perfect. However, I am in the process of moving my tank onto a cabinet that is only about 36" wide, so the Pablo can no longer sit next to the tank.

Hence, I am on the hunt for a new LED light...
Old 05-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #35
etane
Planted Member

Got lots of stuff going on here, so I will try to write as concisely as possible.

Got baby girl coming.

Lost office where I kept my tank.

Office is nicer and cooler, so wanted to keep tank with kid but then decided against it.

Living room is the only other place but room gets hot during summer.

Decided to put shrimp and cool water fish in vase to keep in kid's room.

Tank will now be strictly amazonian fish as living room can get up to 100 degrees while tank will hover around 80 degrees F during summer months.

Living room is small, so gotta build a tank stand that doesn't take much space. Found some inspirations on ikeahack.com. And, found member "trenton" here at plantedtank to use the expedit stand.

Bought the expedit stand:

Notice the bracing. Also, the granite plate will be used at the bottom shelf to keep center of gravity low. Each one is 40lbs. I will be using two.

Painted the expedit stand:

Cut some holes in the expedit stand:

Stuffed it with tank equipment stuff:

Even got a UV light tube thingy:

Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 AM   #36
etane
Planted Member

In case you're interested as most are not, here's the vases I used to house some CPDs, Boraras U. and some mutt BV/SB shrimps.

Each has a TOM internal filter with used sintured glass balls from the Eheim filter, so they are "matured".

I think these fishes prefer closer "living quarters". They were always kind of skittish in the larger tanks.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #37
etane
Planted Member

FTS:

Closer:

Side shot with view of Tived LED light attached to stand:

Closer:

Even closer:

The other side:

One more:

Old 05-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #38
etane
Planted Member

Last pic today. Added Balloon Rams over the weekend. I think they are gold when they are calm but get darker and start to look like blue when I turn the light on which startles them.

During the last few months, also added 4 panda corys and 12 hastatus corys.

I am only down to 2 hastatus though. They arrived in fry form. I should have pampered them in a vase first before putting them in the tank right away I suppose.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #39
etane
Planted Member

Other notes:

I am keeping the hydor heater at 76 degrees.

UV light tube is timed to be on 2 hrs a day.

I am doing weekly water changes between 2 to 3 gallons each time depending on much time I have. What I do is dump all the water in my eheim canister and then fill it up with tank water from the top. I then take out 1 to 2 gallons of water from the tank then fill it back up with kitchen RO water treated with Prime and Stressguard. I don't think I need much since my water is RO, so I use maybe 10% of recommended amount.

The sand is Caribsea Supernatural white fine. I got sick of using soil as it makes the filter equipment dirty quickly. So, my choice of plants reflect that. Plus, I think white is much more calming looking.

TDS is about 160
pH is about 6.5
Temp 76 f

Last edited by etane; 05-29-2013 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: do i have to?
etane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 AM   #40
EngineChauffer
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Dude I really loved reading the story of this tank. When I saw "Too bad the shrimp is taking a dump in the pic." I almost spit my drink out....lol And the shrimp mating story was a close second. The tank is friggin' awesome, love the look. So clean!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #41
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I know you said no one cares, but I've gotta say, I love the look of the little vases for the CPD and others. Very clean and esthetically pleasing to me.
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #42
melanotaenia
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

those little vases are awesome! Where did you find them?

The 60P is looking very nice as well.
melanotaenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #43
shawnleon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Etane's 60P

The stand choice and colors are awesome. Love the vases too.
shawnleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #44
etane
Planted Member

Thank you for all the comments guys.

I got the tall vase from room and board and the other one from emonili.com.

What sort of frustrates me is that my new balloon rams look great when they are not stressed. But, once I get home, they start getting stressed.

Here's a pic before this bugger starts turning dark and hiding in the plants.

I got two of them and not even the LFS can tell me their gender. I am guessing this one is female.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #45
tizzite
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hey Etane. I bought the satellite freshwater + and must say, it's a cool little light. I took it apart to see if I could manage some more elegant lighting options but the fixture is one giant molded piece of aluminum. I have decided against making an acrylic stand for it. I had experimented with bending it and rounding the edges of a piece of acrylic and found that I could get a semi professional look, but it was just more trouble than it was worth. After seeing some other great planted tanks in person, I realized that the only way to go was to suspend the light over the tank. Like you, I want to minimize visible equipment and I don't like the idea of the fixture laying on the top of the tank.

I like your tank stand and scape- you have a good eye for design I'd say. I'm wondering what happened to your other tank- did you put the satellite freshwater + on it?

Also, earlier you mentioned that you were into stereo equipment. i'm not planning on getting one but I am interested in getting a decent vinyl record setup one day. I have KRK studio monitors for my computer speakers and now I can't live with anything worse than those haha. Do you have any suggestions for a good home theater setup? Mind sharing details on yours?