My Eastern Newt Setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
jennesque
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

My Eastern Newt Setup

Nothing in the tank right now is aquatic as far as plants, and I'm honestly not sure if any of the terrestrial plants will survive.. someone told me household ferns should make it & they had good luck with them before. I guess I will see.. But, I also do plan on adding some dwarf lotus or lilies to the front, open area.

This is a 28gal bowfront tank with a 6" tall piece of glass siliconed to about the middle of the tank. I made sure that it was not actually water tight, I want water to flow up into the gravel in order to water the plants back there. There is just gravel in the back and sand in the front. I plan to dose the water column with a small amount of flourish complete. Light above is a single t8 6500k.

Living in there right now are three Eastern Newts - Notophthalmus viridescens louisianensis specifically. I might add a couple fish to make some fry snacks for the newts, but other than that, these guys and/or gals are all that will be in the tank. Except when I drop some ghost shrimp snacks in there. Not sure if any fish would really thrive/survive in the tank though. It is not kept with a heater because these newts need to be kept at the highest, room temp.. They prefer temps from 60-75 degrees, and can go even colder.

FTS:

Plants:
Nephrolepis cordifolia 'Lemon Button'
Asplenium nidus - Birds Nest Fern (I think)
Tradescantia albiflora - Wandering Jew.... which I don't think will like this set up, but I had some extra stems and thought - why not!

And here's a pic of one of the newts.. They have been swimming around like crazy since I moved them to this bigger tank so it's hard to get a pic. The sand is also making the water cloudy.

And here's two of em hanging out. The other one crammed itself into a small crevice it found.. which I've since blocked off. That's the only thing I hate about these guys is that they love to cram themselves into tiny places sometimes and then I can't find them.
jennesque is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Gecko
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I dont know aout salamenders but i think it will be good to make them some little chambers with rocks or some driftwoods. Background is look very good and natural. And your little friends on last photo are adarable. They waving
Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thats soooo adorable!!
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

That's a nice home for your newts!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
leviathan
Algae Grower

Nice tank. I really like that background.
leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote