Group Effort: Help build my 12g Long Setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
rgr555
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Group Effort: Help build my 12g Long Setup

Hey guys, I've seen the 12g long club thread and have been inspired by a lot of members. I'm interested in starting a new 12g long tank and need some advice on parts. This tank will be a planted aquarium (Iwagumi or 2 pieces of driftwood).

I'm pretty set on Mr. Aqua 12g Long (36x12x8) since ADA and GLA are not available.

I am looking for "premium" parts (ie ADA and minimalist designs) and would like some suggestions on:
1) Lights (I want plenty of plants) : FINNEX LED RAY II
2) Filter : EHEIM 2215?
3) Substrate/soil/etc (I'm guessing ADA soil) : ADA SOIL
4) CO2 system
5) Etc.

Please throw some brands and suggestions out there and I'll buy what ppl suggest the most.

Feel free to add any random advice.

Thanks

Last edited by rgr555; 10-15-2012 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: choices
rgr555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
Chipoi84
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Finnex led ray II. Eheim classic external filter. Ada substrate. Diy paintball sysytem to be cost effective. With this set up you can do pretty much any kind of plant
Chipoi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
rgr555
Algae Grower

That light looks nice. Are there other alternatives to Eheim? do lily pipes just connect to the filter?

pretty set on Ada substrate.

I'm not trying to be cost effective. Please suggest a premum Co2 system.

What about heater? (fish and shrimp)
Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
rgr555
Algae Grower

think ill get this ADA co2 kit with timer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2cqqUhErl8

anyone else using this?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

The ADA CO2 system looks like it would be highly expensive to run in the long run. Those small bottles on even a small tank would not likely last that long and it seems like you have to get ADA replacement bottles.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

1. Since you want higher light plants, you've got a lot of options. Everything from the Marineland Double Bright fixture to Finnex to DIY LED rigs. And on the bulb front, just about any T5 fixture will work.

2. Definitely Eheim Classic series. I'm a fan of the 2213 with a spraybar running down the back of the tank. If you go with the Pro series, 2232 will work.

3. ADA Aquasoil if you want the fancy stuff and best bang for your buck. If you want quick and easy? Azoo Plant Grower Bed or something similar.

4. Don't waste your time with paintball. You can set up a full scale CO2 system for $100ish. Buy a dual-stage regulator and solenoid kit from a seller here on TPT. Then pick up a CO2 cylinder. Cheap. Easy. Best bang for your buck. You'd be spending nearly as much for a paintball setup unless you're going with something that you can't put on a timer and use with your higher end products without having to constantly fiddle with it.

5. When it comes to plants, don't forget that the tank is quite shallow. You'll have to do a lot of trimming when it comes to stem plants. Don't underestimate the speed at which some stems can grow.

Lily pipes won't cut it in this tank if you want good flow without using a powerhead. You'll want to consider a spray bar for the full length of the tank. That provides optimum flow throughout the tank with little to no hassle. There are lots of tank journals here on TPT to see how those work.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #7
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
think ill get this ADA co2 kit with timer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2cqqUhErl8

anyone else using this?
Don't do that.

A 5lb cylinder will last 12-24 months on a 12g, holds the volume of a bit over 30 of those 74g cartridges, and might cost $75 for a steel tank and first fill. How much do 30 ADA replacement cartridges cost?
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
rgr555
Algae Grower

the ADA co2 bottles are $15, they should last more than a month for 12g, I think that's alright..

Is there any filter so I can use lily pipes? I want very minimal look..don't want a spray bar going across the back of my bank

Any heater suggestions (minimalist) ?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
rgr555
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Don't do that.

A 5lb cylinder will last 12-24 months on a 12g, holds the volume of a bit over 30 of those 74g cartridges, and might cost $75 for a steel tank and first fill. How much do 30 ADA replacement cartridges cost?
what's a high end co2 kit that uses a 5lb cylinder?

what u guys think of this: http://greenleafaquariums.com/comple...o2-system.html

not sure if i have space for that 5lb canister actually

Last edited by rgr555; 10-15-2012 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: 5lb
Old 10-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
the ADA co2 bottles are $15, they should last more than a month for 12g, I think that's alright..

Is there any filter so I can use lily pipes? I want very minimal look..don't want a spray bar going across the back of my bank

Any heater suggestions (minimalist) ?
You're probably going to need some type of powerhead on the far side if you don't use a spraybar. It's just too far for flow from one end.

You'll want an inline heater. Hydor.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
rgr555
Algae Grower

Would lily pipes work for a 24"x12"x7" tank? I am also considering the ADA 60P.

Are there heaters that don't have to go in the tank? (sorry if noob question)
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't see why lily pipes wouldn't work. As long as the water comes in and goes out, it works I guess what you're asking is if there's enough water circulation for it to work and that'll depend on your filter and the type of pipe you get. There are some pipes that reduce flow (poppy glass) while others that increase it (jet pipe) by ADA/DoAqua. The regular kind (lily pipe or violet glass) should be enough placing it left to right on your wide tank but it'll depend on your filter.

With that said, I would over filter that tank and allow the lily pipe to do its thing (which is create a gentle but enough of a flow to circulate water throughout the tank). I say over filter it because 24 inches is pretty long so instead of getting a canister filter that exactly fits your tank, I would go 1 or 2 up in size.

There's also a few discussions about lily pipes and insuring enough flow on the 12g long thread (or one of the 12g long tank journals).
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
I don't see why lily pipes wouldn't work. As long as the water comes in and goes out, it works I guess what you're asking is if there's enough water circulation for it to work and that'll depend on your filter and the type of pipe you get. ....
With that said, I would over filter that tank and allow the lily pipe to do its thing (which is create a gentle but enough of a flow to circulate water throughout the tank). I say over filter it because 24 inches is pretty long so instead of getting a canister filter that exactly fits your tank, I would go 1 or 2 up in size.....

OP I agree with your thoughts on ascetics, I don't want to see plumbing and electrical equipment when I look into my display tank.

I'm not a CO2 guy, but the suggestions on your CO2 bottle choice as far as size are sound. There are quality regulators on the market made by companies other than ADA that work with 5# bottles. Since you are open to going 1st class, look at electrical solenoid switches so you system can run on a timer. Consider a timer for the lighting as well.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Lily pipes aren't really effective in this tank because of its length. You end up with mega deadspots with pipes that fit the tank. If you go with larger pipes and a filter that is beyond too powerful for the tank? Then you end up having flow issues because it's too powerful (remember, the tank is shallow.

If you go with lily pipes, a powerhead (or two) will likely be a necessity.

Learn from my experience with the tank. I've tried all kinds of pipes and several different filters.

About heaters... if you're not using an in-line, using two smaller eaters at either end of the tank is a good idea. Unless there's a ton of flow, I've found it tough to regulate temperature if only one heater is used.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
rgr555
Algae Grower

why does almost every ADA tank made by Takeshi Amano himself use lily pipes then? I'm talking about the really large wide ones...i'm confused. Are his pipes designed specifically for exact tank dimensions including depth and height? There has to be one that works with 36"..