Frogs for a beginner
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Frogs for a beginner

I think it's neat that this new subject came around just as i started reading about vivariums, ripariums, and such. My wife loves them and wanted me to use my 40hex that sprung a leak to build an environment for either red eye tree frogs or dart frogs. The tank is 24" tall and the leak started about 6" up one seam. I'm thinking the height of the tank would make great climbing space with lots of branchy goodness. So i guess what i'm looking for is thoughts, suggestions and comments in the most basic way possible for this newbie.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
secuono
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/96%)

Is the tank fairly cube shaped or can you put it on a short side for even more height? Tree/grass frogs love to climb. You can go outside and cut some nice branches and fit them in for lots of climbing space. Add moss to the glass walls, silicone a strip of glass on the bottom[if it's on it's short side] and make a land/water area.
You need humidity either way and the easiest way to do that is to have a water area along with a land side with plants growing. There are lots of plants with small leaves that grow like vines that you can train up the branches and make it really cool.
Then need a UVB bulb in a corner where there is NO glass blocking it, this same bulb can act as the heat bulb.

I loved my tree frogs, they were the best.

Last edited by secuono; 10-14-2012 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: to edit
secuono is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
secuono
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/96%)

Here are a bunch of pics of all the different tank sizes and how I kept changing things. That's the best part, you can constantly change things and improve the look.
10g

20g

90g A

90g B, front

90g B, side
secuono is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #4
ZLogic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Standard 40 hexagon i suppose. 24"tall, 18"x18". The leak is along one of the vertical seams, about 5 or 6" above the bottom. If i went half land half water i could just keep the water away from that seam and have land on that side. Which one would be better suited for a tall and narrow tank? The red eyed tree frogs, or some species of dart frogs? What are some of species of vine like plants you referred to? What about filtration for the water, small internal filter? I'm really don't know any terrestrial plants or maybe even immersed plants too well, crypts are very interesting immersed but i'm just starting out so anything is possible.
ZLogic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
blink
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

If I was to get back into amphibians and wanted an easy to care for frog I wouldn't look any further than vietnamese mossy frogs

My 25 gallon Solana cube

12G Rimless Club
blink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Elppan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
If I was to get back into amphibians and wanted an easy to care for frog I wouldn't look any further than vietnamese mossy frogs

I love those guys, so cute!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
EnigmaticGuppy92
Planted Tank Enthusiast

there is an extensive list of easy to care for frogs
some i would suggest are
whites tree frogs
red eyed tree frogs
chubby frogs
pacman frogs
and the list goes on haha
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
EnigmaticGuppy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

White's are definitely some of the easiest frogs to start with, and very affordable. Green tree frogs are also easily, inexpensive and readily available, same with grey tree frogs. Red eye tree frogs are definitely more pricey and much more sensitive to their environment than the others. Most darts are terrestrial, however, dendrobates leucomelas is a very easy frog to care for and they are a bit more arboreal that most other darts. Also, all the ones i mentioned are also good in groups.
As long as you keep your water area below your leak, you'll be fine. In fact, if built right, you can hide your split seam. Out of sight, out of mind so to speak.
Those mossy tree frogs are awesome, but near impossible to find. I have been looking for a while. And they also go for about $70-80/ frog. Keep in mind, unlike fish and shrimp, frogs can be a costly investment. Also remember, some frogs can live up to 20 years in captivity, so plan on a long term relationship........lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
zankotsu
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

"Quality Salads" is a great name for a rip xD
zankotsu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lotta great advice here. I love the height of the tank and think you should definately go tree frogs. Green tree frogs I thought were the easiest and had the widest parameters for en environment. I enjoyed my big eye tree frogs as well. heres one of my hex tanks turned vive., waterfalls look great in hex tanks I think
Attached Images

Learner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.