Breeding: Dario Dario - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #16
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Thanks! Good info to be on a D. Dario thread, to be sure! I know I'm glad to know this!
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #17
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (435/100%)

Oops, +1 on stuffing filter floss or cotton in the holes you poke in the container. Absolutely do that.

Not only will you get flies? You'll maybe have Grindals crawling out if your container is shallow or the walls of the container are moist. (This is why I get in trouble)

For me, it's not so much the getting in trouble part but the problem of worms congregating on top of the container and then drying to a crisp.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #18
Wizzy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I'd imagine raising Dario fry would be a lot like raising betta fry. Infusoria, bbs, then grindal worms. You can use Microworms or bbs when they're big enough.

I just bought 3 pairs myself. I'm waiting for the females to get fat..
Infusoria when they're their smallest? Then BBS/Grindal Worms when they are larger?

Do you know if BBS is required, because I was hoping to avoid hatching those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky14523 View Post
This is a fish i'd try in container ponds during the warmer months. From what i've read they havve adecent temperature range and what not. I'm going to try it next spring. I usually do paradise fish and this year i added drape fin barbs to the selection. I got 25 or so good sized paradise fry and 10 or so drape fin fry of good size with zero spot feeding of the fry. I did feed the adults every three days once i noticed fry. The natural prey items that appear in the ponds makes keeping micro predators happy. This year i am trying to keep a handful of leaves and pond water on the window sill to see what grows. It's an easy way to grow copepods but i wonder if they might be too large of prey items for dario? Certainly what lives on decaying leaves should be small enough.
What did you feed the adults?

Do you have details of your setup? Plants, pumps, container used, shady area/well lit area, etc?

Sounds really interesting and probably something I would enjoy doing.

I already have a pot w/semi aquatic plants and some goldfish that live in there, so maybe I wouldn't even need to set anything new up (I'd just have to say goodbye to my goldfish).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlauj View Post
Awesome little fish but let me warn you that they are really picky about their food. I had four males and was able to grab some juvies from a fella who was getting out of the hobby. The males took to frozen brine shrimp and blood worms about two weeks after I got em. Other than that the juvies only ate live foods which I only had BBS. The fella I got them from said java moss was the trick to breeding them and he had em in what I believe was a 10g. Females are the ones that are hard to come by because they lack color so importers or LFS don't really care for them. I gave them up because it took a really long time for the juvies to grow so I could breed the females with my older males. Juvies were about seven months and the juvie males were showing just a little color. Took longer than I would have wanted so I sold em all. Really cool fish but I suggest a species only tank cause the will struggle for food against other fish. GL and sorry for the long post.
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably only be doing this if I can get ones that are already on frozen. There's too many other species I could choose from to breed that don't require live food (especially since this is my first attempt).

Any sources you know of where I can get guaranteed females and that are eating frozen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post
Yup yup. I'm not especially planning to breed, just keep them, but their pickiness about food is why I'm planning to keep them only with some Hara Jerdoni, which has similar food needs. I've heard people have good results from Grindal and White worms, which are pretty easy to grow, as well as Daphnia, black worms, and blood worms. Msjinkzd, who's a really nice dealer of D. Dario, has had luck with some frozen foods as well.

Not impossible to feed, but definitely tricky!
Those Hara Jerdoni are really cool

I may have to PM Msjinkzd, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Grindal Worms are definitely waaaay easier to grow.

Container of moist dirt with air holes poked in the top, occasionally add fish food or a crushed chuck of dog food and bam, population thrives.

I have containers in several cabinets and closets and my better half is constantly freaking out over them.
Sounds easy, I'll do some googling and learn a little more.

Quote:
I use coconut fiber in the reptile section. And make a .5 inch hole in the lid and stuff it with filter floss or cotton balls so insects can't get in. You might have to deal with little ticks that hitch-hike with the worms. Don't overfeed and they wont be too annoying.

I keep 4 containers in the aquarium stand so not to freak anybody out.
Why such a large hole?

Why not make pin sized hole all over the container?

Do you know the specific species of tick/other hitchhikers?

I'm a little worried about having unknown insects in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Oops, +1 on stuffing filter floss or cotton in the holes you poke in the container. Absolutely do that.

Not only will you get flies? You'll maybe have Grindals crawling out if your container is shallow or the walls of the container are moist. (This is why I get in trouble)

For me, it's not so much the getting in trouble part but the problem of worms congregating on top of the container and then drying to a crisp.
Hitchhiking flies?

I need someway to prevent these hitchhikers from getting out and infesting my home or the rest of my family won't approve of this project

I have a shed in the backyard and room in my garage (I keep crickets in the garage for my Chameleon) so either of those would work.

But, how warm do the worms need to be?

Would either of these places work for them?

The other thing I was thinking is keeping them in an airtight lock box (stored in a cabinet) and only opening it up outside.

I would think they don't consume that much oxygen, so I could probably leave them in there for a week or two no sweat?

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I appreciate it
Wizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #19
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Infusoria when they're their smallest? Then BBS/Grindal Worms when they are larger?
yes
They sell frozen daphnia and BBS so you don't have to hatch them.

Quote:
Why not make pin sized hole all over the container?
pin holes are actual large enough for the worms to get out and fruit flies to get in.

Quote:
Do you know the specific species of tick/other hitchhikers?
Don't worry about these. They're actually mites (not ticks) that can only live in that dark damp environment. I've manage to get rid of all of them by not feeding for a month and dusting a little diatomaceous earth around. The majority of the worms survived.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #20
Wizzy
Algae Grower

Quote:
yes
They sell frozen daphnia and BBS so you don't have to hatch them.

pin holes are actual large enough for the worms to get out and fruit flies to get in.

Don't worry about these. They're actually mites (not ticks) that can only live in that dark damp environment. I've manage to get rid of all of them by not feeding for a month and dusting a little diatomaceous earth around. The majority of the worms survived.
They will eat frozen Baby Brine Shrimp and Daphnia?

In that case, could I feed something like Cyclop-Eeze or another small frozen food? I thought the fry needed live food?

What size container do you recommend for the Grindals?

Thank you for the reassurance, however I still would rather avoid the bug issue altogether. What are your thoughts on keeping the cultures in an air tight container and only opening them outside?

Would storage of the cultures in a Shed or my Garage work?

Thanks- Wizzy
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 AM   #21
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

You live in California so the shed should be fine. Plug the ventilation holes with cotton balls. Air tight is not good.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #22
theshadybird
Planted Member

Theoretically, would a bare bottom ten or 15 gallon with a good amount of Java Moss over the bottom be sufficient, if you were wanting to raise the fry separate?

Here's a paragraph on the subject from Seriously Fish:
Quote:
Post-spawning the female is ejected and the male takes sole responsibility for the territory. If you want to maximise the numbers of fry raised now is the time to either remove the medium to a container containing water from the spawning tank or the adults as the fry will be preyed upon once hatched. The incubation period is 2-3 days after which the fry may need up to a week to fully absorb the yolk sac. They are very small indeed and will require an infusoria-type diet until large enough to accept microworm and/or Artemia nauplii.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #23
Wizzy
Algae Grower

Quote:
You live in California so the shed should be fine. Plug the ventilation holes with cotton balls. Air tight is not good.
Even for short periods of time?

What would make it not good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadybird View Post
Theoretically, would a bare bottom ten or 15 gallon with a good amount of Java Moss over the bottom be sufficient, if you were wanting to raise the fry separate?

Here's a paragraph on the subject from Seriously Fish:
Are you saying without other food supplies?

Just Microorganisms in Java Moss for food?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #24
Wizzy
Algae Grower

I just acquired a pair of Dario Dario and I think they have laid eggs.

Does anyone have pictures of what the eggs look like so I can confirm?

More importantly though, I need help on feeding the adult fish.

I added quite a few frozen foods (brine shrimp, blood worms, a mixture of filter feeder foods (including golden pearls), and cyclopeeze to (maybe) no avail.

The food definitely excited their senses and both adults were swimming around my pico, but I only saw the male snap a couple times and I don't know if they really ate anything.

The store I purchased them from was feeding live bloodworms.

What foods should I buy to feed them?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #25
theshadybird
Planted Member

I can't help you with the pic of the eggs, but as for foods, I've heard of people having lots of success with live bloodworms as well as grindal worms and white worms. I think the consensus was that Grindal worms were the easiest to take care of.
And post pictures!!!!! I would LOVE to see them!
Old 11-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #26
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzy View Post
I just acquired a pair of Dario Dario and I think they have laid eggs.

Does anyone have pictures of what the eggs look like so I can confirm?

More importantly though, I need help on feeding the adult fish.

I added quite a few frozen foods (brine shrimp, blood worms, a mixture of filter feeder foods (including golden pearls), and cyclopeeze to (maybe) no avail.

The food definitely excited their senses and both adults were swimming around my pico, but I only saw the male snap a couple times and I don't know if they really ate anything.

The store I purchased them from was feeding live bloodworms.

What foods should I buy to feed them?
Pictures from seriouslyfish
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/wp-cont...o-CSC_3882.JPG
Old 11-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #27
Wizzy
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. Fortunately I think my problems are solved.

I know for sure that at least the male ate a piece of frozen blood worm, brine shrimp, and golden pearls (not sure if it was golden pearls or something else from the mixture of filter foods I fed, but he ate it) and I assume the female also did this, but I can't be sure.

Do you guys think I need to also get live grindal worms or is frozen sufficient?

How often should I feed these guys?

Unfortunately, I think the "eggs" are just algae lol. It's hard to be sure, but if they don't hatch tomorrow they probably aren't eggs. Also, the mass is solid and milky white and doesn't match the picture you provided.

The last picture shows what I thought was possibly eggs. Its attached to the underneath of the driftwood.

Here's some phone pictures (I'll try and whip out the "nice" camera sometime and show the forum some quality photos).

Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #28
Wizzy
Algae Grower

Bump for how often I should feed these guys?

Do I need to get live food (i.e. grindal worms) for them or is frozen as good/better for them nutritionally?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #29
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

both. grow daphnia if you can.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #30
Wizzy
Algae Grower

Quote:
both. grow daphnia if you can.
But what is the nutritional value of each comparatively?

Is getting them on an all frozen diet going to be healthiest or is live food a required nutritional staple?

Is one type of food going to give them something that the other won't?

Tags
breeding, dario dario, fish, infusoria, microworms