Drilling New tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #1
Profector
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Drilling New tanks

For the last few years I'm been using the DIY PVC overflows, to connect the tanks to a single area where have a filter, grow out area, I can do water changes and dose. The setup works great most of the time and it really hasn't given me much trouble. But rather than pressing my luck with the overflows, I'm going to drill them all starting with a couple of new 29 gallon tanks. I'm not too much concerned with the process of drilling the holes, or if the glass is tempered/heat treated. I've gotten that figured out, I think What I'm am concerned with is the placement of the holes and if I really want an bulky overflow box, like this http://s.ecrater.com/stores/184133/4...be_184133n.jpg

Anyone have a tank that's drilled in the back that doesn't use a overflow box? I can't seem to find the right keywords to find what i'm looking for on google.
Profector is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
deeda
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Try drilling hole for a bulkhead fitting.
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
deeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
cweber

PTrader: (0/0%)

I recently removed my overflow and just have the PVC drain exposed but I converted to a DIY canister filtration vs a sump. It would work for a sump as long as you had the pipe high enough for you water level.
cweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Profector
Algae Grower

I think I get what you're saying about making sure the pipe is high enough for the water level. That was one of my thoughts. Drilling a couple of holes below the waterline and putting in bulkheads with some type of prefilters. Then on the outside,having the pipe go up to the waterline and then horseshoes around so that the water overflows in the pipe, but outside of the tank. And drilling a couple of small holes in the top most part the of pipe to prevent a siphon.

Another thought was drilling the holes below the waterline and then run the pipe inside the tank to the waterline and let water overflow into that, but then I'd would need to be a really big pipe or I'd get that sucking sound. With a big big I might as well have the overflow.

Then the last thought was to have the holes at the waterline and use that to control that water level, but then it seems like the water line would be lower than the top of the tank and I'd get that white calcium water line over time.

I did see a tank that had about 1/2 maybe 3/4's of an inch of glass remove from the top of the back glass. The water would spill over that into and external overflow box and then drain into the sump. Seems like a good idea, but it would be a PITA to recreate it.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
Profector
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Try drilling hole for a bulkhead fitting.
Thats funny I just trying googling your suggestion and one of the links that came up was what I mentioned in my last post. The external overflow box.

http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.p...tall-bulkheads
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
fiero32v
Algae Grower

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx
I like this setup
absolutely silent . i run a modified version cross if this and pvc overclows. I haven't gotten around to bulkheading my tank. when i do i don't plan on a full coast to coast overflow. only about a 1/4 of the way acroos the back

Last edited by fiero32v; 10-15-2012 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: add more info
fiero32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Profector
Algae Grower

Thanks for the linK. I use something simliar to that red tube now. I have a piece of PVC that hangs open just above the water line.When the waterline raises past the opening the water covers the hole and starts a full syphon It usaully clears out whatever slowed it down.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
reefboi16
Algae Grower

It doesnt need to be that complicated Just drill a hole for a 1 in and 3/4 bulkheat and you can use a one inch elbow pointed up wards no need for a overflow box. If you are worried about fish or plants getting sucked in you can add a basket type cover to it like this...http://auscichlids.com/forum/images/admin/site/su1.jpg
reefboi16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
cweber

+1 reedboi
Old 10-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
cweber

Sorry, reefboi