Can I trim Vals?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/96%)
Question

Can I trim Vals?

I'm wanting to 'mow' some of my Vals, there are too many and too tall. I'm trying to get rid of many of them now, but want to cut the rest.
Can I cut them, what happens when I do? Will the leaves all die down, eventually keep growing or will they stay as they are and the plant will just put out new blades?
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think that the original blades that you cut will start to wither away after a while but if it is healthy it should send out a new plant via a runner.

Don't quote me on this though.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

My experience with this subject is so long ago I do not care to calculate it, but I remember it not working out so well. The cut leaf browns on the end a bit, so enough to always remind you what you did, much like outdoor lawn grass. If you look closely, mowed blades are simply not as attractive as fresh ones. The real problem is that aquarium plants get much closer scrutiny than an outdoor lawn.

As for promoting new growth, you already know you do not need to do that. Best is to plant them where their natural height works for you. That is a nice looking grouping you have, just put them along the back or mid ground and put something shorter in the foreground.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I do not want to waste money buying anything and I don't care if it looks ugly up close. I just want to give my fish more swimming room w/o killing all the Vals.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
jccaclimber
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

They may be a bit goofy looking at the tips but as long as the plant is healthy (yours look good) it'll keep growing. I regularly chop 6 inches off mine when they hit the top of my 75.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
shrimpedout
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
My experience with this subject is so long ago I do not care to calculate it, but I remember it not working out so well. The cut leaf browns on the end a bit, so enough to always remind you what you did, much like outdoor lawn grass. If you look closely, mowed blades are simply not as attractive as fresh ones. The real problem is that aquarium plants get much closer scrutiny than an outdoor lawn.

As for promoting new growth, you already know you do not need to do that. Best is to plant them where their natural height works for you. That is a nice looking grouping you have, just put them along the back or mid ground and put something shorter in the foreground.

Huh? Sharpen your mower blade and your fresh cut lawn will look great. Been doing it for 7 years, mowed thousands of lawns.
shrimpedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

To shorten the group without the ugly browning end, you could go about it a bit slower. Pick the tallest and cut it down close to the bottom. As you reduce the tallest in each group the whole gets shorter with the brown ends down almost out of sight. Something like you would do to trim a tree without it looking like it had been butchered by topping.

When I cut mine, I found the remaining shaft got rotten at the top and gradually worked its way down until the whole blade died.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I am not saying a fresh cut lawn can't look great. I know about sharp. But a lopped off blade is not as elegant as a tapered blade, and the lopped off part will always look a little weird up close whether it browns any or not.

If the OP does not care what it looks like, then hack away. I wouldn't want that look in my aquarium, but we each get to do whatever we want.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658

Last edited by tomfromstlouis; 10-16-2012 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: clarity
tomfromstlouis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
Patriot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot

Why did you put them in the front?
SUNSUN PIMP #41
The Fraternity of Dirt #50
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
What Can Dirt Do For You?
Nikon Club Member #35
Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
secuono
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
Why did you put them in the front?
I only put one 2in plant in the front, that looked like Dwarf sag that I thought I sold out. But most of it is from the plants in the back. That's what these plants do, they travel to where there is the most light.