Old Faithful passed...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
iter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Old Faithful passed...

Hi everyone, I just expressing my grief here. A tiger barb that I kept for 5 years passed a few days ago.
He been through all my torturous actions as a noob in fish-keeping (including nitrite poisoning, overfeeding, etc.), but just when I mastered fish-keeping, and was going to start my first planted tank for him and my other old barbs, he died of old age.

The thing that made me felt good is that it wasn't my fault that he died, but of natural things. I learned that tiger barbs are somehow extremely hardy, and they truly do have a personality. When your near they follow you and they even signal other fish that it is feeding time. Dunno why I'm saying this to everyone, but thanks for reading and share your tragic fish death stories too, let us all comfort one another.

R.I.P. my friend.
iter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Gabez
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

sorry to hear that , we understand on here as we can all become attached to our fish , i just had to sell a big clown loach i had for 3 years , raised him from about 2 inches to 6 or 7 , i hope he finds a good home. he even survived my internal eheim canister heater go berserk and raise my temp to over 100 nuking pretty much everything, so hes a survivor lol
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

Most people don't understand how we can get attached to a fish.

Or say they do have personalities.

But we do.

They do.
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Wow! 5 years of Tiger Barb life. That's probably equivalent to our 90's maybe? They live for 6 in optimal conditions I've heard.

You must not have been that much of a noob then!

I can relate to signalling the other fish, my tetra tank has a school of cardinals that see me coming and signal the other tetra schools that feeding time is nigh.

It's cute when they nip at the surface in anticipation isn't it?
AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
iter
Planted Member

I have kept the tiger barbs for 5 years, but they were at least 1 year old before I got them. Another thing is that out of the 6 barbs that I used to have, there is one more lonely one still alive, left to play with its kind but danios and rasboras and that anubis.

Honestly, I think he still can live another 1+ years since he looks the healthiest out of all the 6 I got 5 years ago. Still hasn't lost his tendency to nibble on me even after losing his playmates......
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
PinkRasbora
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora

Awww I am sorry for your lost. I cried when I found my angel had died. Really do become attached to them just like a cat or dog. =[
PinkRasbora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
senior el roboto
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkRasbora View Post
Awww I am sorry for your lost. I cried when I found my angel had died. Really do become attached to them just like a cat or dog. =[
Yeah my female angel just died a few weeks ago from old age. Feel sad for the mal angel as they were a mated pair
senior el roboto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
SpecGrrl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Oh, my condolences to everyone who has recently lost a friend in the physical world.

I am glad you had such strong relationships with them!

I like to think that they have incarnated as something that gets to cuddle a lot. Like a kitten or a puppy.
SpecGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
iter
Planted Member

There is one more thing about my fish-keeping: All my fish pass for various reasons, but the process is all the same: an uncontrollable swim-bladder.

No matter if my fish die from cycling problems or natural deaths, they always first lose their control of the swim bladder, and they float or sink in odd ways. This is a good thing since if I can halt the swim bladder problems, they can live normally; but most of the times I fail....at least I am consistent with some things .